LS1 in a '78 scout II - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 193236
more progress I guess:
I managed to take both front fenders off to see/ fix the damage inside :

driver side :

passenger side :

as you can see the driver side is more damaged , so the plan is to cut the offending metal off , and reinstall the fenders , and hope the tires and fenders never meet again
1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 137745
Great thread. It's time to get a tube bender and some material.
tubender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 193236
sooooo, I think I might of broken something

we went out wheeling this weekend and the rig worked great .
it handled all the obstacles and was chugging along nicely even though the front swaybar was not disconnected and I only aired down to about 15-16 psi , and I was taking note of what needed to be fixed and improved.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 193236
and here is a pic of the guy driving the rig and the ridiculous amount of rear flex , I think this is just before the shock quit:

the first part to let go was the rear driver side shock , I guess using a 38$ shock to limit the downward travel of a 400+ lb axle while the other end is pushing it down some more is not a good idea :P

on a positive note it was the shock eye that failed not my mounts

moving on we kept wheeling without any major incidents, I was very proud of how the truck was performing ; I had a friend who has never been off-roading let alone rock crawling drive the rig through some pretty nasty stuff , and the truck was preforming nicely. that alone made me feel vey proud of my work on the rig and how it was paying off.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 193236

so on our way back going down a ledge the truck got and bind and the upper passenger side control arm let go from the frame bracket . not the nicest place to have that happen ;

here you can see the front tire in its normal place :

and here it moved :

so when the arm came off the whole front end became unstable and shifted to the side , and any steering input cause the this to move sideways , which resulted in popping the front pass. spring out of place and having the bump stop get all mashed up because it was not hitting the perch anymore:

we had to drive the thing out of there so we had negotiate the obstacle :

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 01-29-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 193236
the rear sway arms also got inverted and mashed up the other link ( in my infinite wisdom I only disconnected one link and kept the other attatched thinking that nothing would happen) , this happened because how much more the rear end drooped without the limiting action of the shock that decided to not play :

and having the front end play around so much sideways also had a minor effect on the front shocks :P , I flattened them and bent the front swaybar links , and then broke one of the lower shock mounts off :

here you can see the bent arm as well as the super tuff pan :

so we limped it out of the obstacle and carried along for a couple of miles , driving it was interesting yet it was still going over some pretty big ledges and rocks until we made it to the camp spot ( well it was a BBQ spot since that was the plan , we were going back in the evening ) .

so this is how it looked :

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 01-29-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 193236
so after stuffing our faces with food we headed out to the exit road, which involved a few small obstacles , a hill climb , and about a 10 mile drive on a dirt road to get to the hiway.

all this time I was on edge because we had to use the winch to tie the side of the front axle and pull it in , and have the other upper link hit the oil pan and actually bend from how much it was pressing against that cast pan ( thank you Holley for a kick ass product!! ), all while driving on the a front end with two busted shocks, dislocated axle , almost no steering , bouncy driver rear side , and busted front passenger suspension .

anyhow , we made it to pavement and it was time to put her on the wrecker for the ride home .

so the tally of damaged parts so far is as follows:

- 1 rear shock
- 1 busted frame mount ( pulled chunks of the frame off with it )
- 1 destroyed front bump stop
- 1 bent rear sway bar link
- 2 bent front sway bar links
- 2 bent control arms
- 2 front shocks
- 1 lower front shock mount
- dislocated front pass spring
- 2 cracked front turn signal housings ( the tires actually hit them and cracked them)
- leaky fuel system ( dunno why , it just started dripping at the tank last time I moved it )
- some other stuff i'll find out once I tear in to the thing :P

did I also mention that I got my new seats and console in
they are out of a late model chevy truck , and had to do some fancy bracketry to get them in :

Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 193236
You can say I learned a lot from the last outing,,, having someone drive the thing while I looked at it was very insightful .
Given the extent of the damage and the other things I need to / want to do on the thing I guess it now time for a full bore rebuild . I think I’ll take the body off the frame to make the work I want possible , this will give me better access to welding the frame brackets , shock mounts , moving the drivetrain in and out , etc.
So there are a few things I want to do:

first thing to address is the ridiculous rear travel , I knew I needed to limit it before but I was kinda waiting on doing that to see how far I can get away without doing so ( and the look on people’s faces when I t flexed like that is priceless , ,,, and the pics look cool too ) . I also had the rear spring perches somehow get wedged halfway in the spring , which meant I had to flex the rig to get tension off the springs then un bolt them and reinstall them .
so the plan there is to have a chain go through the middle of the spring and bolted in the middle of both top and bottom perches. That way the chain acts as a travel limiter as well as a guide for the spring.
or I could just weld a couple of tabs and have some straps bolted to them the traditional way , and have a small cone bolted to the bottom of the perch that will center the spring once it comes back down.
I also need to extend the bump stops a hair to stop the tire from rubbing the fender as hard as it does now.

The second thing I was planning on doing was installing a hydraulic ram assist system to help with the steering. The current pump and box cannot keep up and I end up with the thing binding up in tight situations. So the plan is to order a complete kit and have it welded to the truss brace and tie rod.

Third, I also want to redo the front suspension, having the body off the frame gives me much better access to the brackets for welding and a better view of things. I can also look into moving and welding the lower shock brackets to the C knuckles on the edges of the housing, and maybe convert to coil overs. I also can relocate the front sway bar roughly six inches forward and down (about where the old leaf spring mounts were. Doing so will give me more room for the relocated shocks / coil overs to be mounted on the axle ends , plus it allows me to use shorter links for the swaybar arms.
I’m also going to look into adding a lateral link / panhard to the front if I can. The reason for this is that the hydraulic assist will add so much lateral stress to the joint brackets that it might break them. So if I can add a small panhard just to help that would make me rest easier.
I also have to put some sort of limiters on the front axle.

Fourth, removing the cab would make removing and installing the engine /trans/ xfer case combo much easier. I can just use a cherry picker to remove the whole thing in and out of the frame. I need to do so because now would be a great time to install the doubler I have and fab a new cross member to hold it up . I also would like to tilt the drive train a bit more towards the back to ease the driveline angles a bit. And after finishing that I probably would build a new exhaust system ( single ) that runs inboard of the frame. And if I do the exhaust I then can also do the rock sliders since there won’t be any mufflers in the way and maybe some belly pan protection.

The fifth thing in my diabolical plan is to move a few things around for better space and weight management and to make the rig a bit more practical. I’ll start with moving the spare a bit forward since the rear seat is gone now, which will give me more space towards the tailgate. I also want to remove the viaair tank and batteries from where they are now and have them placed behind the driver and passenger seats since that is hard to reach area now ( the seats don’t fold forward ,,,, thanks GM! ) . I am also thinking of making something to hold down the cooler and the tool box I have, and keep them accessible somehow.

Other odds and ends to do are fix the leaking fuel system ( most likely relocate the pump and filter), re-plumb the hard brake lines, finish wiring the inside of the car ( turn signals , dome light , compressor and other stuff switches), trimming the fenders for more clearance.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 01-29-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #109 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Oh My, that was a rough day, best of luck. My only .02 is i think that chain will drive you nuts with all the noise
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 193236
chiscouter , I'm one step ahead of you ; I was thinking of placing a hose over the chain so it muffles the rattle
Old 01-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 83301
a few thing, wrap the chain in duck tape, no more jingle. I also think you need more separation at the axle for you front link, maybe even more at the frame.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #112 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
That is one humdinger of a trip...and yes, you learned some valuable lessons on your rig. Sometimes when we learn those things it is not at the most opportune time.

The only things I see wrong and would fix are the following:

1. New shocks
2. Fix your links
3. Fix your bump stop pads
4. Add some simple limiting straps to the rear axle truss
5. Keep wheeling!!!!

Also my foreign friend...regardless of what our .gov situation looks like, this exact photo is what I love about our hobby. I love how it brings worlds together.

You are driving vintage American iron in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. FUCK YEAH.

I would love to travel over there and see how you guys spend the day, someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 01-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 193236
Pennsylvaniaboy, the links have a bout 9" of separation at the axles .

harvester , whenever you decide to do so remember you got a whole bunch of friends this side of the pond
Old 02-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 193236
so I was going through this month's fourwheeler and reading the article about scouts ,,,, and what do I see???

that's my scout back when it was in Arizona in the early 2000's and had 33's I guess .

its nice to be famous :P
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 193236
I guess now is as good a time as any to start on this thing ,,,,
so I finally decided to rip into it and begin the rebuild process;
the plan is to have this project spread across two major parts or sections : the first being the frame and suspension and stuff like that , and the other would be the body and electrical and other stuff related to the top side of the rig ( electrical wiring , interior, assorted small projects I've been too lazy to do :P

so I started with removing the body of the frame so that I can access everything that I need to work on. ( i'll have some pics soon )

so after separating the two , I pushed the body to the corner of the shop to wait its turn , and had the frame moved to the fabrication area .

the plan is to first remove the engine, trans and transfer case . then remove the axles out from under the frame and place it on stands and start repairing the damage first; the first order of business is repairing the cracked frame where the bracket tore off , then re-weld all the brackets from all the sides. after that I want to address the rear upper shock mount : It looks like I welded the mounts on a slightly different plane when compared to the bottom ones , so I will cut the bar ( it wasn't fully welded ) and re-angle it then re-weld it.

next up would be fabbing a new pair of links to replace the bent ones . then its new front shock / coilover tower time

that should keep me busy for a while I guess. I also plan on adding a ram assist to the steering , as well as a xfercase doubler , steering box reinforcement , limiting straps front and back , along with tilting the drivetrain a bit to get some better drivetrain angles to name a few of the plans I have
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 325914
are you still in Saudi ?
wildace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 193236
yup , still here

I guess now is time for a quick update:

like I mentioned earlier; I started ripping into the rig , started with removing the front end :

then it was time for the body to come off the frame :

and here is how the frame looks without a body :

Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 193236
then it was time to yank the engine, trans, xfer case out:

and here you can get a clear shot of how bad the damage is , I plan on fixing the cracks then welding some sort of reinforcement plate for good measure then weld the bracket back on :

I also removed the steering box since I needed to check on the bolt holes, and just as expected, there was a crack :

I cleaned it to get a better view:

and from the other side:

so I guess I have some work ahead

the plan now is to fix the frame cracks first, then re-weld the brackets , make new links and recenter the front diff. I also want to install coilovers up front , so I have to do the upper and lower mounts for that too.

after the frame is in roller mode once again , I can start on the drivetrain I guess.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #119 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Did you make or buy the front and rear sway bar mounts to frame?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 01:56 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 193236
the fronts I made , the rears are from currie I believe, they are the universal ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.