LS1 in a '78 scout II - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 193236
LS1 in a '78 scout II

just thought i'd post this build on here to help me keep track of what i did and to share the knowledge

(plus i think i posted a build thread when i first started and i don't know where it is now :P )

the test subject in hand is a 1978 scout II that used to have a 345 ci and a 4speed , and was swapped to a caddilac 472 and a nv4500 5speed and a 205 transfer case. it also had a spring over done to it and a 9" swapped in the rear.

the thing worked great and wheeled very well. only problem i had was that the truck would stumble and die if it hit a big enough bump because of some carb issues.

so it was decided it was time to swap the 'ol caddi engine to an LS1 for reliability and ease of work and parts availability ( plus all we do here is swap ls1's into everything :P )

so here's the game plan :
- swap the caddi with the LS1 and get the thing to run
- cut the inner fenders to free up some space under the hood
- redo the electrical system inside the car , which includes new guages and other stuff.

after that is all done i'll turn my attention to the suspension, i already got a dana 60 front diff and 14 bolt rear which i plan on swapping under the truck . along that i plan on :

- installing the diffs under the car and
- building a 4 link to hold the diffs in place , and
- installing coilover's on all four corners

anyhow on to the pics and updates,
here's the truck before :

i first proceeded with removing the front end, first off was the fenders , hood , and inner fenders :

and after removing the caddi engine i started mocking up the plastic LS1 engine , man this thing gets lost in there

driver side clearance :

front of the engine clearance:

1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 193236
firewall clearance :

so after getting the engine bilted to the trans and all mocked up i went ahead and fabricated the frame side motor mounts :

and this is how the engine looks sitting in the engine compartment :

only problem i had was i mocked up the mounts using the plastic engine , whch i had used several times before and it was quite worn out and the holes were not in place like they used to be . so i decided to swap the original style clamshell mounts with some bushings :

after mounting the engine i turned my attention to the inner fenders , i just got my plazma torch so i went to town on the fenders :

after that i took it tot eh powdercoaters along with a whole bunch of parts to get coated .
meanwhile the new conversion pan came in from holley , so i slapped that on and verified diff clearance :

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 02-19-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 193236
so while i was waiting for parts to show up i decided to turn my attention to the fuel system. i already had the tank modified for fuel injection : i plumbed a tube and AN fitting coming up from the top of the tank and then snaked it way to the front of the tank where i mounted the bosch 044 pump and filter :

any how after that some parts showed up and returned my attention to the front end of the truck , the front clip came back from the coaters so i proceeded to installing that on the truck :

and then the radiator , which is just a stock scout peice with the outlets repositioned and the brackets rewelded on it to move it a bit forward to gain clearance :

i also swapped the front bump stops :

next up was the dual battery tray :

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 02-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 193236
after that was done , it was time for some exhaust work. i really didn't want to use factory manifolds ( why use them when i can run headers? ) but i had a small problem; the way i had the mounts welded and their position in the engine compartment made running headers a bit tricky . anyhow after going over countlyess pictures of headers on the web , i decided that the best fit would be shorty 4th gen camaro headers . so i ordered those and once they shoed up a proceeded to lop the ginourmous flanges they had and welded a ball flange collector on them for two reasons, the first being that i could weld a small elbow on one of them so the exhaust clears the slave cylinder , and the second to make alligning stuff easier.

here is how bit the flanges looked ( this is the driver side , which has a smaller flange - don't ask me why GM decided on two different style flanges on the same car) :

and here is how it looked after modifying it ( don't mind the bling . its the only header they make ):

mean while more stuff showed up :

i got the rear axle truss from poly performance ( i think thats where i got it from ) that also incorporates the triangulated upper mounts :

the bundled up stuff in the background is the front axle truss with mounts for the dana 60 front end - didn't take any pictures of it yet cause unbundeling it will scatter all the peices that need to be welded together.

i also got a black magic fan and shroud installed and wired, and i had to fab up the upper radiator hoe out of some SS tubing to get it to clear the fan, and i finally got a chance to take the thing to an exhaust shop to get the extension from the header to the rest of the exhaust made ( will snap pics of that soon).
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1956
One suggestion.
Get a Corvette pan as it has better oil control, especially for the off camber work, if it will fit. They are specifically designed for lateral oil control.
Don't forget the windage tray and oil pickup tube for it.

Last edited by Shadow man; 02-20-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Where are you at? Your license plate looks weird.

Looks good so far. I like the use of the right hand drive steering box holes to mount the battery tray. Any other securing or is it gonna float out there in space?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Lets play the Plate game.
Looks Saudi. Private vehicle
Don't ask how I know.

Last edited by Shadow man; 02-20-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 193236
looool
shadow man , you are correct : riyadh , Saudi Arabia

either you are :
1- a fellow turbin head :P
2- sitting next to one when you saw the pics and he told you that
3- been here lately

binderbound, the mount also bolts to the core support up front .
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Thanks for posting, Ill be following this closely. I had a 500 Cad in mine with a 4l80 and pulled it before completing the conversion. Ive read some limited info on the Holly pan on other boards, but they aren't off road related. From my reading on pirate oil stavation is probably the weakest point on these engines. One of the venders is selling the Mast pan /forum/motor-tranny-t-case-performance/950989-mast-performance-cast-oil-pan.html with an added baffle and I haven't heard of people having problems after installing it. Its looking like I am going to want a shallower than truck pan and was planning on the Mast. Why did you go with the Holly?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dirtyz View Post
looool
shadow man , you are correct : riyadh , Saudi Arabia

either you are :
1- a fellow turbin head :P
2- sitting next to one when you saw the pics and he told you that
3- been here lately

binderbound, the mount also bolts to the core support up front .
Well your off to a great start compared to most newbs on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
The oil pan pictured is NOT a Holley pan it appears to be a GM pan by the part number on the sticker on the bottom of it 12624621. It also looks like the LH8 GMPP hot rod pan. Its still pretty deep same as the truck pan.

The Holley pan is alot shallower and has "Holley" cast into he bottom of it.

Chi the holley and mast pans will need extra baffles. I would just run an oil accumulator for ins.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 193236
loool you are correct it is a gm performance pan , don't know why i always mix them up.

if i recall correctly this pan i a bit shallower than the the truck pan , plus i got a great deal on it

any how pore pics !

here is the fan and batts in place :

and my sexy radiator tube :

location of fuel regulator :

and last but not least the way i have the exhaust routed , i did this cause next up is the four link and this is the best way to clear the arms in the future :

Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
The pan the same/similar depth as the truck pan. I have pictures of the two side by side, I'll post when I can get to my laptop as they are on it. So no advntage to it over the truck depth wise. The GMPP pan lacks a bulge in the front sump that the truck pan has that hits most cross members.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Truck pan vs the LH8 GMPP hot rod pan. Its an inch shorter
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 115098
where is your mas air censer.
danny Israel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny Israel View Post
where is your mas air censer.
He probable has a speed density tune and doesn't need one.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 193236
you are correct , its a speed density tune , so no need for the MAF sensor.

so more stuff to show you :

the front D60 and rear 14bolt :

planning on doing a histeer conversion on the front as well as a disc conversion on the rear. that and some diff guards for both .

so moving along ,,, we had the biggest gathering of scout II's in saudi arabia this weekend ,,,, all two of us showed up :P

we decided to go mess around a place called the third camel trail ( used to be a real camel trail where camel caravans would snake up a mountain cliff to get from some where to the next . so here are some pics of the "testing" that ensued :

the truck ran great , it was great to hit bumps and not stumble and go through some serious off camber situations and actually drive out under the engins power- not the starter

the truck did suffer "some" damage though ; for some reason ( its been doing it for a while now) i snapped three of the six bolts holding the passenger side hub lock . i'm not really sure why this is happening , but it ususally either loosens them or just snappes them ( i used both locktite and locking washers and still the same happens) .

and i think i need to change tires now :

i can't complain about the tires, they been on the truck since '03

so next up on the project list is:

- fix some minor weeping from the radiator hose
- fix the hub lock bolts
- tighten the throttle cable ( don't ask )
- take it to a shop to fabricate a bumper and winch mount , along with some rock sliders
- clean up the interior and find a place to mount the new guages ( the cardboard box i have them mounted on right now is not a permanent solution )
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
So if you really want to piss all of us off, how much are you paying for your gas per gallon ? Did you do your build in Saudi? If so how did you get all the parts? Id love to see more pics of the engine swap if you have any to throw up?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dirtyz View Post
- fix the hub lock bolts

LOL! Someone who actually builds junk and wheels!!!
Till you can get the bigger axles in, go to studs instead of bolts and carry spare lockouts. If you haven't noticed yet, when you bust a bolt off, the lockout hub tends to blowoutfrom lack of support. We made up hub flanges out of autolocking hubs to do away with the broken manual lockouts.

Last edited by Shadow man; 02-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Great pics. This thread is turning out pretty decent. Looking forward to the next stage of the build.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 193236
don't kill me , its about $0.75 a gallon .

the caddi engine , roll cage , SOA and 9" rear, NV4500 were all done in the states , basically anything you see being done in this thread was done in saudi . what exact pics of the swap do you want to see ?

thanks for the tip shadowman!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 193236
a bit of an update to report ,

a bunch of my buddies decided to go and do some exploration of some nearby valleys and dry river beds, so inorder to join them i had to get some new tires installed and fixed the stupid lockouts .

so i looked around a bit and found a good deal on some BFGoodrich mud terrain K/something in the same size as my old tires (35/12.50-15) , so now the buinder has some new shoes

( sorry no pics )

so we ( 3 wrangler , 1 H1 hummer , 1 F250 crewcab longbed - don't ask, and yours truely ) headed out to the south west side of town and started to mess around in some valleys , we found a few cool spots , but nothing special . here are some pics of me in one of the valleys :

and here are some of us messing around :

Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 193236

after that we headed to another location where there was some mud to play in ,,,,, bad idea :

we were doing fine untill we decided to leave just before sunset and head back home , where one of the wranglers decided to get stuck in the middle of the stream , and the H1 followed his example and bogged down right behind him . and to make things a little more exiting , the F250 that was behind them decided to make a detour and turned left into the stream ( misscomunication between ground crew and pilot :P ) and he nailed it ,,,,, we now know that F250's don't float real well

(its not clear but look how lose the H1's headlight is to the water )

anyhow , long story short : we ended up stuck there for about 8 hours , took a ginourmous tractor and 6x4 crane truck to get the offending vehicles unstuck.

damage tally :
5 busted staps
1 snapped chain
1 ruined front bumper on the hummer
1 busted rear diff on a wrangler ( what started this whole mess)
1 submarined F250
1 out of alignment hummer steering
several cases of the flu

as for my scout , well for once i was the guy pulling the brocken vehicles out from the spot instead of being the one broken !

my damage tally :
1 stuck ignition key in tumbler
1 leaky rear brake cylinder
1 noisy power steering pump

not bad for a days worth of wheeling

i have to say the swap was one of the best things i done to this rig , i went through some pretty deep crossings and had the thing crossed up on the rocks a few time and hit a few bumps pretty hard, and it never skipped a beat !
only thing it could use is a bit more torque around idle and more flex :P

so now that the off season is getting close ( read hot seson ) , i should start getting the other diffs ready; planning on cleaning them first, then doing a disk brake convesion in the rear. i should also start looking into welding up the truss brackets for both diffs.

and like i mentioned earlier , now would be a nice time to start working on the interior ( wiring , guages , lights , etc) , and maybe later on do the winch thing

Last edited by 1dirtyz; 03-10-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 123775
God I hate wheeling in water. Do you yet?

Great build, glad to see the Scouts surviving around the world.
Mike Scherr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Add a Power steering cooler that will help save the PS the ones used on the LS motors don't like heat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.