Need help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63202
Send a message via AIM to dmicgrif
Need help

so i am looking for a new ride and found this on CL's what do you think? also about about the price and is there certain things i need to look out for? thank you guys. http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/2995077884.html oh and the decals can come off by just pulling them.
dmicgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31658
It looks good except for the drivetrain, the stickers, and the price. It's cool that the horn works though.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
It looks good except for the drivetrain, the stickers, and the price. It's cool that the horn works though.
you think that the price is to high? what would you pay for something like this?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
You are in Hawaii - so things do cost 2x as much What does it cost to ship an SUV from CA to HI? I'm sure they are trying to recoop some of there lost money.

If you really want it offer $4000 see what they say, if you can really jump in it and daily drive it, it might be worth close to that.

Around here it would sell for $3000 or less.

Last edited by uglyscout; 05-04-2012 at 08:03 AM.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyscout View Post
You are in Hawaii - so things do cost 2x as much What does it cost to ship an SUV from CA to HA? I'm sure they are trying to recoop some of there lost money.

If yo really want it offer $4000 see what they say, if you can really jump in it and daily drive it, it might be worth close to that.

Around here it would sell for $3000 or less.
X2. My guess would be that clean Scout 80's in any Hawaii island are not very common. Price is high for the mainland in an area were scouts are plentiful, but only you can decide if the price it right for YOUR area. Looks clean and sounds turn-key. Thats worth something.

Keep this in mind, even if you find a $1000 junker that needs paint. You got $1000 in mechanical do-dads and probably another $1000 in tires. Then $2000+ for a semi-decent paint job..... do the math.

I wouldn't by it for a wheeler, but for a nice base for a driver build, if the body was done right, you're ahead.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 202759
Location: land of 2 seasons: winter and getting ready for winter
if a scout is really what you want, then i don't think you could do any better. insert key and drive it away looking good. that price isn't that much different from the ones on ebay that might not be in as good of condition... if the cl add is accurate. and it is Hi after all and prices are crazy there to say the least. if you got the coin, then go for it.

Last edited by strvger; 05-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
IF it's as good as it looks in the pics, then ~$4,000 would be top end. He should knock off $1,000 just for the horrible stickers/body wrap. No need to go more than 55mph on the island anyway!
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Back story on this Scout. About a year ago it used to be my Dads. He owned it for YEARS. It lived in a garage in La Habra CA and only got takin out for a put down the street or some IH function. It's flawless! Original EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING still works. My dad and I wanted to chop it and make a Hot Rod, then a Rat Rod, then Rock Crawler but we just couldnt do it cause it was in just to perfect condition. Pump peddle twice, pull half choke, turn it over and drive away.

Here it is at IHWR 2010 with no stickers.
Attached Images

MY 76 LOADSTAR RESCUE/RV
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
I wouldn't buy a thing off a moron who writes an ad like that no matter how good the product looks in the ad or claimed spec sheet.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Does the guy who wrote the ad know there is a period button on his keyboard . Nice scout but I wouldnt pay that much for a Scout in stock condition. $2500 tops for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 63202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
Back story on this Scout. About a year ago it used to be my Dads. He owned it for YEARS. It lived in a garage in La Habra CA and only got takin out for a put down the street or some IH function. It's flawless! Original EVERYTHING and EVERYTHING still works. My dad and I wanted to chop it and make a Hot Rod, then a Rat Rod, then Rock Crawler but we just couldnt do it cause it was in just to perfect condition. Pump peddle twice, pull half choke, turn it over and drive away.

Here it is at IHWR 2010 with no stickers.
Thanks for the extra pictures. I saw in one of his ads, he said something about a guy being a big fan of scouts. Funny I found you guys on here. So everything is original?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 63202
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
IF it's as good as it looks in the pics, then ~$4,000 would be top end. He should knock off $1,000 just for the horrible stickers/body wrap. No need to go more than 55mph on the island anyway!
The stickers would come off. And 55 is all you really do need out here. I think the fastest I have been is 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
if a scout is really what you want, then i don't think you could do any better. insert key and drive it away looking good. that price isn't that much different from the ones on ebay that might not be in as good of condition... if the cl add is accurate. and it is Hi after all and prices are crazy there to say the least. if you got the coin, then go for it.
A scout would be sick to have. I have a old 69 Chevy truck at my moms waiting for me to restore after my tour is up out here. It has been in our family since I was 2, so I can't get rid of it. Plus I love older trucks and just want to have something to play with. He did have it at 6 grand and came down to 5,500. But I would be happy offering around 4,500 maybe a little more. Since he did have to ship it out here. It is usually 1,000 bucks per car.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Only thing I like about it, is that it's in Kihei.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 63202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Tractor View Post
Only thing I like about it, is that it's in Kihei.
Haha kihei is pretty cool. Just it's real dusty.