1972 international scout build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
I am guessing by your grammar that you don't live up north

I was going to say if you live around these parts you could swoop on these http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/2960695147.html

Um................................................ You need to give the truck a name. Just say'in
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Your typing skills need some work. Why to I suspect your posting via phone.

Offer the guy $150 for the 1/2 ton axles, or just $100 for the front. Make sure its a D44 though. Nothing wrong with the later 10-bolts, but parts are less common, you can find good deals on used lockers and gears for D44's all day long. If its a 10-bolt, keep looking.

The semi-float 14B is a "decent" axle, for what it is. If you find it cheap enough, go for it. You'll probably end up buying gears for it however as there's not a ton on the used market that I've seen. Your location might vary. Another option might be to look at an Isuzu rear D44. Semi-Float, Discs, 6-lug. Not the cheapest, but cost effect vs doing a disc conversion on something else. Of just find a waggy D44 rear to get the 6-lug.

If your going to run 36's, look at 4.56 or 4.88 gears NOT 4.10 or 3.X anything. Gear swaps are easy with a couple basic/specific tools and some research. And the front axle of a off-road rig is good practice point. I also wouldn't pay $300 for a set of wheels and junk tires. $200 would be my max as eventually your going to have to pay to dispose of them. Unless the rims were SUPER sweet or bead-locks.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 10775
Send a message via Yahoo to SSGTWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post
Your typing skills need some work. Why to I suspect your posting via phone.
really?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Never, underestimate the amount of stupidity in people!
SSGTWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 209552
sorry yeah ive been typing off my phone. but yeah im from south Carolina so no where near the north. i know that 4.10s or 3.73s are nowhere near enough for the 36's and i want to go bigger eventually so im going to need new gears later but currently im a senior in high school getting ready to go to college soon and i dont have a job at the moment so everything i buy is from either selling other things or mowing grass. the rims are brand new American racing wheels, they are not the best looking wheels but im sure thats the lowest he will go. ill talk to hi and see. also the front axle is a Dana 44 and im only paying 100 for the front axle.
bowshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 209552
Um................................................ You need to give the truck a name. Just say'in[/QUOTE]

my dad says i should just name it bad ass scout and put B.A.S. all over it but i dont know. if you have a good name for it give me an idea im not very good with naming vehichles.

Last edited by bowshooter1; 05-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Way tougher than you

Member # 141446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowshooter1 View Post

my dad says i should just name it bad ass scout and put B.A.S. all over it but i dont know. if you have a good name for it give me an idea im not very good with naming vehichles.
Not to be mean, but have you read the builds and seen some of the Scout's on this forum? I'm not too sure that B.A.S. fit's YOUR Scout all that well in comparison. Come up with something distinct and unique. Not something that applies to many different vehicles EXCEPT for the one you are currently working on
Blue Lodge Absarokee #30, 3rd degree MM
So Mote It Be

89 Toy Ex Cab, 3.4/5Spd/Duals-3 Link front w/14" ORI's/4.88's/Spartans/Custom flatbed
WYJAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Names are so 80's. Which I'm pretty sure you weren't even born then.

If your on a college/high school budget, seriously, leave it "stock" till you have all the parts and pieces sitting and ready to go. Half-assing it will just eat up time and money.

Don't under estimate the coolness of bombing around in a stock height scout with the top off and a nice set of wheels. Get a roll bar and rock it. Go big when you have ALL the parts and some more research time. Otherwise it will turn into a money pit and garage anchor.

BTDT.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 209552
ya i know about the scouts on this site and pretty much all of them are better and more bad ass than mine will ever be i was just saying what my dad calls it. truthfully im not all that worried about it sitting in the shop for a while. its got alot of body work and rust to fix before i take it out on the road. i know its probably not the easiest way or the best way to do it but sometimes its more fun to build them and have to wait a while to get it going than to run it stock.
plus ill never go back to stock height on it, i might do a cut and turn this weekend because the guy who was gonna buy it didnt buy it because it wasnt already cut and turned.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Ok...

So we now have more info. No money, in high school.....

That being said, don't tear it apart yet. Make it safe and drive it. Save $$ and build up a parts pile like Rustoleum said or it WILL sit and rot in your garage. Like others on here, I have been working on mine since 2004 WITH cash flow.

Trust me, you will get going on your project only to find out that you need more pieces of the puzzle. There are a lot of small things that you will need that you have not thought of yet.

My money is on this thread dying and we won't see a properly finished project.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 209552
Go on ahead and put your money on it not getting finished. I understand that its no fun being in the shop but you also have to remembeer that my dad has his scout too that I'm going to be working on and he's going to keep his mostly stock so ill have his to ride around in and have fun in while mines getting worked on. Speaking of his scout anybody know iif there is another trans that will fit the scout that's easier to find? I've done a lot of searching and haven't found anything
Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 209552
i worked on it a little bit tonight, i started pulling the transmission so i can find out whats wrong with the clutch and i got my 33s mounted up! it looks really good the way it is but i already want it bigger.

heres the rims i had for it, they were really rusty from siting halfway in the leaves so i just painted them with paint i had laying around.

i really wish my shop had a camera in it so i could rewatch some of the things that happen in there. tonight i was setting the bead on one of the courser mt's with ether and when i did it blew a hole in the sidewall and stared shooting out flames. it scared the crap out of my dad because it was the first time he had ever seen a bead set like that in person and it sounded like a canon going off when the sidewall popped.
but he would never admit it scared him
more pictures tommorow
Old 05-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 144823
What? Am I on the right board? You cats are being aweful patient on this thread. I had to check to be sure I wasn't on the BP!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 209552
so i kinda listened to what yall had to say and went and talked to the guy with the axles and tires and everything and i made a deal with him to get the rear axle for free and got a little bit of price taken off the axles (ya i know yall said stick with what ive got for now, and i am sticking with what i have for now until i sell some old s10 rims to buy the front axle and he said i could pay like 200 now and take home the axles and tires and pay him the rest when i got it.). im going to trade him the wheels off my blazer for his wheels plus i get his old 31s and get to keep my bfg's and i get the rear axle for free and 25 off the front axle.

Any better of a deal to yall then what i had?

oh, and i think i have a name for the scout.... bondo wagon!! if that isnt already taken lol. i started wire brushing where there was alot of cracks in the paint and on pretty much 90 percent of the body there is bondo and even some bondo over old paint in some places. but i think it actually saved the scout a little because there is no rust underneath the bondo. but there is rust everywhere else...

Last edited by bowshooter1; 05-19-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Sarge View Post
What? Am I on the right board? You cats are being aweful patient on this thread. I had to check to be sure I wasn't on the BP!
It is all a bad dream!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowshooter1 View Post
i think i have a name for the scout.... bondo wagon!!
Drop the "wagon" from the name.

I'm still going with what I said about a "properly" built project. Have you been to binderplanet ? It would be a better place for you and your scout. Many of the same people and way more Noob friendly. Just say'n

Also........ have you installed a front drive shaft and checked for bind??? Good luck with that !!!!

Last edited by '71 800B; 05-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 209552
Ya I'm not naming it at all I was just kidding about that. But yes I've been to binder planet and I think ill stay on this forum. The fact that y'all have a prroblem with anybody new to the forum or just like to argue with anything the "noobs" have to say doesn't affect me. I'm not here to ask you questions and if I do I could care less if you answer or not but if you do choose to answer on my thread don't answer it in a way that would not help me or anybody else that is looking at this.

Now I do thank you for showing interest in my build and if you'd llike to put money on me not finishing it that's your descision. But just because you say something doesn't. Mean that I have to do it or even take it into consideration but just because of your experience of being on this forum longer and being older than me I will at least consider what you say.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Nobody here gives a fuck about your build. In all honesty your posting like a fucking Meth head. Your build looks like a hack job so far. I expect to see it in chit chat pretty soon in the fail thread.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 209552
well if you dont care about the build dont post on it cuz i could care less what you think of it. and what does posting like a meth head mean? i dont think meth heads are doing to much posting about working on their truck. and how does my build look like a hack job? huh? i havent done anything but get it running and do a soa so far and im not even running those axles or any of the steering which could be the only think that you could consider a hack job. when i get the new axles i will work on the steering.

now please tell me what is a hack job on my scout. and please explain to me how a meth head post's.
and im not gonna quit posting or working on my scout just because yall dont like it im gonna keep working on it and no you will probably never see a finished project because im probably always gonna be working on this thing or adding things to it for as long as i have it.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
FUCK...

Dude'r...please just work on your fucking Scout and post some photos. DO NOT type anything. If you run into a sticky spot then ask a question. Otherwise just keep your fucking mouth shut and wrench...then post.

Do it exactly in that order and you will be our hero.

I know that you will at least be my hero. Super hero in fact!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 209552
ya ur right im sorry im not doing anything but making it worse by arguing back with yall. ill get more pictures up soon.
And 71 800 b i did get the driveshaft bolted up the rear driveshaft is fine but your right the front driveshaft is slipped out a good 2 or 3 inches and it doesnt drop down but about 4 more inches so im going to look around in my parts pile and see if ive got a cv that will fit and make a new long travel driveshaft when i get some metal.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 209552
got some pictures of what im starting with underneath and some of the rust this weekend. i also took the york air compressor out and cleaned and painted it, im going to eventually do on board air, ive already got just about everything i need to do it ive just got to put it all together.

anybody want or need the factory underdash ac?

this is the tag on the side of the york and i know if its the original tag im sposed to be able to know what size it is but i dont know what numbers im looking for

i just looked online and found that if that tag is the correct tag then this is the highest output york but it doesnt matter i was going to use it anyway.

Last edited by bowshooter1; 05-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Your pinion is pointed too high.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 209552
ok thanks for the heads up. whats a god angle to set the rear pinion at when i put the new rear axle in? ill go get an angle finder from harbor freight or somewhere before i do it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Cory nailed that one! Dude... You need to do so much more searching and reading. All of the information is here for you to do a proper job of rebuilding your scout. As for the front drive shaft, a double cardan drive shaft is not the fix for the issue. A cut n turn plus double cardan is one way to fix it but you will need a yoke to mount that shaft. Or you can use the stock one and clearance the yokes for more angle along with making it longer. The rear pinion angle is wrong for the shaft that you have. Do a search on proper u-joint angles.

Your hack job is the fact that you did a SOA and did not do it the right way. You have wasted your time and effort as you have stated that you are not going to use those axles.

Take everyones advise and stop posting and start reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please be our Hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by '71 800B; 05-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #49 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Young, dumb, and clueless is no way to go through life young man. This is also not the place for those attributes. Go to the binder planet and they will be happy to hold your hand, pat you on the head, send you home before dark, and maybe buy you an ice cream cone.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Young, dumb, and clueless is no way to go through life young man. This is also not the place for those attributes. Go to the binder planet and they will be happy to hold your hand, pat you on the head, send you home before dark, and maybe buy you an ice cream cone.
naaa, most the people over there are tired of doing that as well. "SEARCH" is a common response

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.