76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #226 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
I had to cut the grass around it couple weekends ago. Once again the Rescue/RV got put on hold. I've been working on my Scout right now. Just pulled the whole Tub off frame and doing a full build on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 600250
I have question for you. I have the chance to buy a crew cab loadstar not sure on year it looks like the yellow one you have posted. My question is I'm wanting to use the cab and put it on a chevy frame and put a cummins in it how well do you think this would work and would an international pickup front clip work on this cab?
CumminsMan89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #228 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Is that 3 questions?

CC Loadstar on Chevy frame? (get out a tape measure or move axles and make it happen)
Cummins swap? (plenty of resources out there; 6bt will be slightly long in the pickup clip)
International pickup front clip on Loadstar cab? (get out a tape measure or do some sheet metal work).

Anything is possible!

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #229 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumminsMan89 View Post
I have question for you. I have the chance to buy a crew cab loadstar not sure on year it looks like the yellow one you have posted. My question is I'm wanting to use the cab and put it on a chevy frame and put a cummins in it how well do you think this would work and would an international pickup front clip work on this cab?
I'm with MT4Runner on this one. Will it work? YES. Will it be a a lot or work? YES. Either way I'd get your hands on that Crew Cab Loadstar. I don't see why you don't just ditch the Chevy idea all together and just throw the Cummins into the Loadstar Frame/Body.

If you feel you don't want to do any of this.... I want your lead to the CrewCab!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #230 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Any updates on the ol' Red Sled Meat wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post

Lets say 4000 military axles are the route. Will I need more breaking force from my Hydro/Air assisted booster setup already or would it handle those massive calipers?
Obviously it would solve my Rim issues with a set of HMETT's and I can practically get any type of tire being a 20" rim.

I guess I should start looking for some 4000's. Gonna have to make a call to Hundy....
If you haven't read already:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...eer-axles.html
ChestonScout's Axletech build http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...nts-buggy.html has some good info, as well as the end of Skipped Link's Monster Buggy build http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ter-buggy.html Leroy/Skipped Link is making/selling some parts for Axletech axles, steering arms, etc
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 11-18-2015 at 01:06 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #231 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Just when you thought you was special, someone comes along and ruins your dreams.

Well, not really but overdrivesteve sent me a CL link that was pretty fawkin cool! Another Bowertown Loadstar like mine! Only 2WD though.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #232 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Any updates on the ol' Red Sled Meat wagon?

If you haven't read already:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...eer-axles.html
ChestonScout's Axletech build http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...nts-buggy.html has some good info, as well as the end of Skipped Link's Monster Buggy build http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ter-buggy.html Leroy/Skipped Link is making/selling some parts for Axletech axles, steering arms, etc

So, funny you say Axletechs. I have been looking into these.... a good friend of mine is building an IH Pick up that he just put some 2.5 Rocks under. Has 53" military's with the 20" 2 piece MRAP aluminum rims. He is in the process now of purchasing a set of Axletechs because he has found that getting breaks set on those are cheaper than on his Rocks.

I am leaning towards this direction myself and looking to get some Axletechs with rims and seeing what size tires (so far 44" would be max tire size before cutting anything, currently I am running 38"s) I can find for them. Possibly find some commercial all terrain truck tire to fit that wide MRAP rim size.

Currently we've found these all on the East Coast and we would need to take some time off to drag a flatbed out there to get 2 sets of Axletechs.

We'll see.....

Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Last year I drug a couple of sets of the narrow Axletechs back from VA for my Loadstar projects. I have seen a couple of different guys in OK that sell them from time to time. Going to pull the trigger soon hopefully on the Axletech transfercases and drivelines this fall.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #234 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
shortbus4X4, do you have a build on the Loadstars with the Axletechs?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
shortbus4X4, do you have a build on the Loadstars with the Axletechs?
No, not yet. I still need to get the transfercases and drivelines. I have been cleaning and organizing my projects and yard the last five months after working out of town for two years for five week hitches with one week off. It was a days drive either way so that left me 5 days at home which between resting and doing family stuff left little time for projects. I'm also buying the house I'm currently leasing and selling the one we own in CA in addition to working 60 hour weeks. My free time is very limited but I hope to spend some quality time with my Axletech project this fall.

They are going in a 1970 Loadstar crewcab ex Air Force truck that is two wheel drive with a propane 304 and 4 speed, the 304 will be going to a new home in a fellow binder nuts Scout. I have the MRAP wheels and tires too. The power plant will be a Cummins 8.3 with an Allison MT654CR transmission from a M923. I want to put a camper on back, probably a 10' Alaskan or something comparable with lots of storage compartments.

My other Loadstar collection consists of a 1972 1700 4x4 shortbus, hence my forum name. A 1977 1700 4x4 regular cab and a late 60's 4x4 short dump truck. I sold my 1978 Forest Service 1700 4x4 crewcab fire engine when I moved to ID, I still really miss it. I also have a 1968 Travelall stretched ambulance project. Yeah my wife says I have a sickness and that doesn't include my fleet of Jeep M715/M25 rigs.

Last edited by shortbus4x4; 08-22-2016 at 07:55 PM.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #236 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Chit, I thought I had a problem....

Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 612922
Just read the hole thread. The trip to get it was bad ass, and this things really cool. I think axletechs would be a great option, being they share a lug pattern with just about every semi. Plus the air lockers would be a nice addition. A 2 or 3 piece front driveline should allow you to still keep a low ride height. I really want to see where this thing goes, it has huge potential

Professional web wheeler
Tgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.