76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
That is pretty damn cool

There's a bunch of RV conversion toterhome builds in the towrig section if you need some ideas.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 155933
Send a message via AIM to samfordscout2
Nice Jay....hey when you make it back to orange county, ca.....let me know i can give you a place to stay and help you with anything.......

o wait......jk

this thing looks pretty cool man, are you gonna have it back by the beach party?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
That is pretty damn cool

There's a bunch of RV conversion toterhome builds in the towrig section if you need some ideas.
Ya, ive been drooling over that section for the past year. I guess after I get this puppy home I'll have to report to that side for the build.

LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfordscout2 View Post
Nice Jay....hey when you make it back to orange county, ca.....let me know i can give you a place to stay and help you with anything.......

o wait......jk

this thing looks pretty cool man, are you gonna have it back by the beach party?
Possibly...was still planning on brining the Yellow Loader to the Beach Party but maybe I can take the Ambulance. Depends on risking the drive to the Beach in a non registered vehicle. The Yellow Loadstar is all good. I'll have to play it by ear.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Unless you get free checked bags, I'd just buy some tools when you get there. Most airlines will charge you and arm and a leg for each checked bag, even more if it's heavy ~>50 or 70 lbs.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Unless you get free checked bags, I'd just buy some tools when you get there. Most airlines will charge you and arm and a leg for each checked bag, even more if it's heavy ~>50 or 70 lbs.
I can have 2 carry ons each not weighing more than 50 lbs each. No cost. No problem.
There is 3 of us flying out. Besides, I'm not bringing all tools to the trail, just tools to do simple road repairs.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
I would check with TSA and the airline but most time they may not let you check certain tools on to an aircraft. Be shitty if you get to the terminal and go through security and they nix the tools. The thing is they could very well do this if the person working the line decide to not let you on! And you either miss the flight or leave the tools. And most airlines will let you carry on one bag 50lbs or less that will fit the overhead. And you can have one personal bag ie laptop, purse, or backpack. Check with your airline.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

When I flew to WY to get my travelette, I just flew out there and bought some cheap tools at an auto parts house. Got all basic hand tools for $50 bucks. Which I needed as I lost a belt thus taking out the water pump on the way home, so they paid for themselves. I actually also checked my hand gun. It was in a locked hard case with TSA locks. Only restriction was no ammo. And I declared it at check in time at the counter. Filled out the paper work and it made it fine!

Last edited by Bo185; 06-29-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 110338
You can check ammo in under the plane, it just needs to be in factory boxes, not loose...

You can also check in any tools. You cannot bring fuels, compressed gasses or disabling chemicals (bleach, freon, propane, etc.)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
You can check ammo in under the plane, it just needs to be in factory boxes, not loose...

You can also check in any tools. You cannot bring fuels, compressed gasses or disabling chemicals (bleach, freon, propane, etc.)
Yes, you can check ammo in correct containers, provided the airline will let you. Hence that's why I said, contact the airline one is flying on before showing up at checkin time.
And per the TSA there are restrictions on certain tools which are prohibited in carryon bags which the OP stated he was doing. I miss stated check and meant carryon bags. I used to check tools all the time when I would travel for work. I had TSA locks on my tool box. It was over weight but the company paid the fees anyway.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
So, it's the Eve of our Quest to drive the Loadstar Ambulance to California from Minnesota. I can't believe this is actually going to happen.

We have 1,993 miles, roughly 36 hrs of driving. 7 states to cross in 4 days! I invite everyone to check in to these threads on Pirate4X4 or ScoutsWest everyday this week for any updates I can get posted up. I will do what I can to keep everyone up to date on our travels. Here is a Map of the Route we will be taking.

A Short Version of Travel Plans:
July 4th Wed, Fly into Minesota, get a Hotel
July 5th Thur, Pick up Loadstar Ambulance and drive to Badlands South Dakota, Camp in Badlands, SD.
July 6th Fri, Visit Mt Rushmore in South Dakota and Devils Tower in Wyoming. Camp in Rawlins Wyoming
July 7th Sat, Drive 688 miles to Vegas, Camp in Riviera RV Park.
July 8th Sun, Drive into So Cal and sleep in a real bed.

The States we will be driving through in order:
Minnesota (I90)
South Dakota (I90)
Wyoming (I90, I25, I80)
Utah (I80, I15)
Arizona (I15)
Nevada (I15)
California (I15)

No promises but I am trying to document the entire trip. (On paper, not updates on threads) Hopefully every hour on the hour while driving. The plan is to have a check off sheet to help.
July 5th 1PM / Temp outside / Temp of Rig / Odometer reading / Take Pic / Cost of Fuel / Gallons Pumped / Whos Driving / Notes on Rig / Other Notes.
July 5th 2PM / Temp outside / Temp of Rig / Odometer reading / etc....
July 5th 3PM / Temp outside / Temp of Rig / Odometer reading / etc....
July 5th 4PM / Temp outside / Temp of Rig / Odometer reading / etc....
We'll see how that lasts, but who knows.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116720
Safe journey!

Last edited by 1971scout2; 07-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
1971scout2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Plan a stop in Murdo, SD. The exit with the big green car for a bill board. Exit to your right and park in the Triple H truck stop on the right. Walk across the street to the Pioneer Auto Museum Should be a Diner with a white convertible on the roof in the same building. They have a bunch of cool stuff to look at like old motorcycles including Elvis Presley's Harley, 70's muscle cars, the first Motorhome, toy's that will bring back memories Ect.... Iv'e been through it at least 5 times and see something different every time. Good luck on the trip!!

Edit: 22 miles west of Murdo is a 1800's town where they filmed scenes from the movie " Dances with Wolves" and don't forget to count how many signs you see for Wall Drug....
Attached Images

Last edited by '71 800B; 07-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 13731
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
July 7th Sat, Drive 688 miles to Vegas.
OUCH! That is going to be the day that you hate and tests the old iron...

Good luck!

uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyscout View Post
OUCH! That is going to be the day that you hate and tests the old iron...

Good luck!
Ya, I'm calling that the Hail Mary Run
Loading up on Water for sure.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by '71 800B View Post
Plan a stop in Murdo, SD. The exit with the big green car for a bill board. Exit to your right and park in the Triple H truck stop on the right. Walk across the street to the Pioneer Auto Museum Should be a Diner with a white convertible on the roof in the same building. They have a bunch of cool stuff to look at like old motorcycles including Elvis Presley's Harley, 70's muscle cars, the first Motorhome, toy's that will bring back memories Ect.... Iv'e been through it at least 5 times and see something different every time. Good luck on the trip!!

Edit: 22 miles west of Murdo is a 1800's town where they filmed scenes from the movie " Dances with Wolves" and don't forget to count how many signs you see for Wall Drug....
Thanks, and yes. I dont want to stop at the "Drug Store" but with all those signs that I keep hearing of....I'll be stopping for sure!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 110338
If you need something in Vegas, let me know...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
We arent going to stay at the Rivera RV now. Now we are staying at the Oasis RV Resort so we can walk to the Hotels. Should be there on Sat afternoon. Hit me up and maybe we can meet at the Resort, take a looksee at the red beast. 714.three six four. 7535

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-03-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Good luck, heres hoping to a nice uneventful journey. I think you will be driving pretty much 20+ hours on your 688 mile day. Do you have ear plugs, those old Internationals can get pretty noisy. I'm jealous, a road trip to bring home a very unusual rig.

Last edited by shortbus4x4; 07-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 113738
Looks like a fun trip! I'm only about 60 miles from harmony on i90 in Hayward if you need. Zip ties or duct tape...loll. good luck
Firewiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 21659
Wished I would have seen this earlier, I could have helped you with a ride from the Airport in Mpls to Harmony. Either way you get here and need something look me up. I am working nights just wave at the big plant with all the lights you will see on your way into land. I will check this thread a couple of times tomorrow if you need anything.

You have to stop and see the Spam Museum in Austin, Mn. Buy a few cans in case you get stranded some where on the road.
http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum

Last edited by Pucknutz69; 07-03-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Pucknutz69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #46 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Next thread started by Liberty Sand: "Halp me! I am ________"

Sounds like quite the adventure! I hope all goes well...if not, there's probably a PBBer near by.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Next thread started by Liberty Sand: "Halp me! I am ________"

Sounds like quite the adventure! I hope all goes well...if not, there's probably a PBBer near by.
I think we have a winner here. Hoisting a cold one to IH gods for you to have non break down trip.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Jealous..
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Sounds like an once-a-lifetime trip.

I'll follow along.

Also you should buy or take some flare wrenches for the brake lines and mabey even a flare tool and spool of line.

Good Luck!!!
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
We landed in Minneapolis . Taking a ride to Rochester for the night. Anxious to meet this IH Beast and get her on the road. happy 4th everyone. At White Castle. Was told this is like So Cals In N Out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.