76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #101 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Congrats on the adventure, but a 10 ton bottle jack and appropiate lug wrenches would have been at the top of my list at the 1st auto parts or Sears tool store I encountered.

I think you will find the best tech and like minded viewers in the tow rig and trailer section. IMHO the expedition forum is populated primarily by a bunch of geeks who are much more mired in silly fantasys and impractical rigs for mundane purposes than in reality.
The time and money spent for the tire service was well worth it while on that trip. As beat and tired as I was at the time of tire rotating I would have killed to have an air gun. Now that I am home, I have already been looking at bottle jacks online and nooks/crannies on the rig to put my emergency road gear in.

Ya, Ive been reading through the expedition threads and I dont see much there that will suit my needs. I will be towing and camping in this rig anywhere from Pismo, Mountains and to the Dessert. Eventually to the river when we get a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
I have to agree with Chi on the expedition vehicle section.
I'm hoping you do your build thread in the towing section, cuz going into expedition section makes me feel like I am at work surrounded by clueless engineers.
No matter where you put it, I'll subscribe. So for me I gues it doesn't matter.
Towing thread it is.

Well, I took down alot of measurements last night. Mainly to start looking for the right size tanks, generator dimensions, windows, bar b que, propane, shower, beds...... even what size tire can I squeeze into the wells without more lift.

I know the thread will have some hurry up and wait going on. Pending funds and time but planning is a huge part in this because as I was looking at it last night, I might rip up the plywood flooring and inner walls to start fresh. Although it is in good shape. I dont want to have to replace sooner than later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #102 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
+1 on the tow rig section, lots of RV/Toterhome threads in there.

Make sure to post a link once the build thread starts
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #103 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
+1 on the tow rig section, lots of RV/Toterhome threads in there.

Make sure to post a link once the build thread starts
You got it

Old 07-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 86724
this shit was epic road trip.

please come to the towrig section.

we will give you all sorts of bad ideas to do to a MDT chassis.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 168725
Wow that is so badass. The fact that it's a 4wd Ambulance from one of the coldest snowiest places in the Northeast and it has ended up in Cali is hilarious to me. Can't wait for build.

SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #106 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Some cool news after I tried contacting a few fire departments last week. I got this reply in an E-mail.

Quote:
Congratulations Jason - I think you do have our old Rescue Truck!
I'm enclosing a pic in front of our firehall that I also used in the 100th anniversary book I wrote in 2007 of our fire dept. I gathered the history by reading 100 yrs of minutes, interviews etc. and it was purchased in 1976. From the look of your photos, it sure seems like the same truck. Dan Rivet was Fire Chief at that time I think. I recall riding in it with Mary Henry driving to the 12 yo Sara Wood seach at Raquette Lake years ago - we all had to lean forward & lift our feet to help get it up some our hills here!
But SO HAPPY to hear a person who loves these vintage vehicles, now is the owner. If you need more info, I'll check around. Gotta be some more pics and history from some our our senior FD members.

Keep in touch, Peg Masters, Town of Webb Historian, Old Forge, NY
Member of OFFD, EMT 22+ yrs.

I am also waiting for a phone call from an old Chief that used to run the Ambulance/Rescue unit also. Can't wait. Should be interesting.
No real updates on any work done to the Ambulance yet other than taking her down to the Beach this weekend for her first time. Still running strong and getting alot of thumbs up.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #107 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
That is really cool to know some of the history.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 168725
Totally awesome!
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Time for another? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3160664164.html
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #110 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptahoewhite View Post
Son of ah! It even has the large 10 lug rims. I cant find anything to replace these fawkin split rims. Learned an older dodge rv with 19.5"s would work but thats it. Other wise I change out the hubs or go adapters.

Don't show me anymore Loadstars, I swear. I'll practically buy any IH Loadstar at this point, the bug has bitin me deep. However....that Forest truck isn't to far from me......

FYI, Build thread coming soon. Still getting some Ducks in a row.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 109963
What's the lug pattern you have now, I may have some info on newer rims.
caseyray63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #112 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyray63 View Post
What's the lug pattern you have now, I may have some info on newer rims.
These are the dims that I know of off the bat. This is my front rim. 5 Lug front, 10 lug rear. I'll need to measure the center tonight. Both measurements are center to center. They are 20" Split rims. I am looking for ANYTHING more modern.

Edit:
OK, I took some more measurements last night and realized today right before I edited this post that I forgot to get the distance DIRECTLY across from lug to lug. Anyways. I am still looking for rims. I've searched and searched, even on Pirate and Lougle. I come up with almost NO good info other than, "Go have 'em custom made" or a bunch of guys wanting to go from 8 lug to big 10 for some 19.5". However, I have found info on the "small 10 lug" that I have but nothing on vendors or adapters for a modern rim. More then likely i'll have some made and eventually if thats the case, fine but i'd rather buy 7 used steelies, powder coat them and get some newer to me rubber on them. I've found that early model Dodge RV's have what I'm looking for, so that search now continues.

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-25-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Info Added
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 105936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
These are the dims that I know of off the bat. This is my front rim. 5 Lug front, 10 lug rear. I'll need to measure the center tonight. Both measurements are center to center. They are 20" Split rims. I am looking for ANYTHING more modern.

Edit:
OK, I took some more measurements last night and realized today right before I edited this post that I forgot to get the distance DIRECTLY across from lug to lug. Anyways. I am still looking for rims. I've searched and searched, even on Pirate and Lougle. I come up with almost NO good info other than, "Go have 'em custom made" or a bunch of guys wanting to go from 8 lug to big 10 for some 19.5". However, I have found info on the "small 10 lug" that I have but nothing on vendors or adapters for a modern rim. More then likely i'll have some made and eventually if thats the case, fine but i'd rather buy 7 used steelies, powder coat them and get some newer to me rubber on them. I've found that early model Dodge RV's have what I'm looking for, so that search now continues.

Years ago I was looking for wider steel rims for a VW resto custom. I found a guy in the City of Industry on Valley that would take my rim centers and weld them into a wider rim. His quote was lower than the cost of the alloys I ended up going with. I found him through my father-in-law. They did some work together at the time. His business primarly catered to big trucks. I bet he could make something work for you and he is (was) local. I don't have his contact information anymore but if your interested I'll ask my father-in-law.
OC IH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #114 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC IH View Post
Years ago I was looking for wider steel rims for a VW resto custom. I found a guy in the City of Industry on Valley that would take my rim centers and weld them into a wider rim. His quote was lower than the cost of the alloys I ended up going with. I found him through my father-in-law. They did some work together at the time. His business primarly catered to big trucks. I bet he could make something work for you and he is (was) local. I don't have his contact information anymore but if your interested I'll ask my father-in-law.
I'll try to search him out but yes. I'm interested, see what you can dig up. I also was going to get ahold of Stockton Rims, CA but i've heard they can be pricy.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 109963
I've got a line on a couple 70s dodge motor homes, I'll let you know if come up with the rims you need.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
I'll try to search him out but yes. I'm interested, see what you can dig up. I also was going to get ahold of Stockton Rims, CA but i've heard they can be pricy.
Is Stockton still in business?
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 71185
Can you clear a 22.5 wheel and tire? Need to know your bolt circle for sure but accuride part #28160 might be what you need, looks like they were used on older GM trucks

6.25 bore
8 3/4" bolt circle
22.5x6.75"

9x22.5 tire is around 38-39" tall I think

Last edited by brewchief; 07-25-2012 at 09:33 PM.
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #118 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
I've got a line on a couple 70s dodge motor homes, I'll let you know if come up with the rims you need.
Yes, please let me know. Maybe we can meet up and I can slap one of your rims on and check how they fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
Is Stockton still in business?
I just checked, looks like they are under new ownership. I had no idea. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewchief View Post
Can you clear a 22.5 wheel and tire? Need to know your bolt circle for sure but accuride part #28160 might be what you need, looks like they were used on older GM trucks

6.25 bore
8 3/4" bolt circle
22.5x6.75"

9x22.5 tire is around 38-39" tall I think
Ya, I can clear 22.5 wheel. As of now im clearing a 37" tire. I measured clearance to a 44" tire so a 9X22.5 (38-39") should fit nice. Plus i'm looking at getting a taller tire to help with highway mileage anyhow.

6.25 Bore, I'll have to check that. I measured 6.5 the other day. And it's pretty close to the 8.75 bolt circle. How is that measured? Center to center hole? Outside to center of hole? Do I measure off the 10 lug pattern and go directly across or measure the 5 lug pattern and go most further away from each other? (I'll have to look more into this)

I'll keep this here for safe keeping
http://www.accuridewheels.com/products/search.aspx

Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 109963
In need the diameter of the lug pattern. I need you to measure the two farthest apart(on the front one with a lug in it and one without). For example
Scout
5-5.5, 5 lugs in a 5.5" circle
Toyota
6-5.5, 6 lugs in a 5.5" circle
One ton Chevy
8-6.5, 8 lugs in a 6.5" circle
The motor homes I'm looking at are for sale so there's not gonna be any rim fitting. But they are cheap and also come with other parts you're gonna need like A/C units, gen sets, stove, water heater, ect.....

Last edited by caseyray63; 07-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #120 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
In need the diameter of the lug pattern. I need you to measure the two farthest apart(on the front one with a lug in it and one without). For example
Scout
5-5.5, 5 lugs in a 5.5" circle
Toyota
6-5.5, 6 lugs in a 5.5" circle
One ton Chevy
8-6.5, 8 lugs in a 6.5" circle
The motor homes I'm looking at are for sale so there's not gonna be any rim fitting. But they are cheap and also come with other parts you're gonna need like A/C units, gen sets, stove, water heater, ect.....
I see what you did their. Lol. Buy these rims and they come with an RV,
I'll see what I can get as measurements again. Not really interested in used equipment at the moment as I am looking at NEW currently.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 109963
Quote:
I see what you did their. Lol. Buy these rims and they come with an RV,
I'll see what I can get as measurements again. Not really interested in used equipment at the moment as I am looking at NEW currently.
10-4 just tryin to help ya get what ya need.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #122 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
LibertySand- You start a build thread on this yet?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 70148
what pattern are gm 3500hd's?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #124 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
LibertySand- You start a build thread on this yet?
Not yet. Still working out details. Like what direction we want/need to go with motor setup (I have found the 345 is not enough), what to do about the split rims (thinking about going rockwells and rolling with 43" Michelins since those can be had cheep), what to do with interior layout (I have a really good plan so far), what to do with color scheme inside plus design (we may be going retro or early 60's).

My guess is that I'll start the build thread when I start the demo of the inside of the box. I am going to demo it to the ribs so I can get some real measurements, run my electrical, some plumbing and get the walls/ceiling/and floor on. I'll need to strengthen the ceiling for the AC unit also.

For now i'm just waiting for a good cool weekend to start the demo on, we've been having triple digits the past couple weeks.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #125 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11745
Who are you using to insure it?
I'm getting the run around up here in WA trying to insure my new to me 1978 Loadstar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.