76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #126 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
Who are you using to insure it?
I'm getting the run around up here in WA trying to insure my new to me 1978 Loadstar.
Going through AAA but it seems to be harder than I thought. I might have to park it in the back for a few and get the "RV construction" under way. DMV also wants to see it "RV-ed" out before we get to register it as an RV.

When we left the previous owners house we called the Loadstar into AAA and got it insured for the drive home. It actually lowered our cost but now we are in a spot after they came out to take some pictures of it. They need to see that it WILL be an RV, as in: Lavatory, Bed, Seats for passengers and running water. Same goes with DMV to register it and since the tags are good till Apr 2013 (MN tags) I can still get it around town if I have to. So the idea now is to leave her be and get to work on the inside of her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #127 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Picky bastids aint they?
Harold Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #128 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 173375
I noticed you say you parked or were going through Rawlins, WY. Did you happen to see this beauty while you were in town?

My uncle owns most of the Conoco stations out that way, and the car is his

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #129 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
I did stop at alot of Conoco's but did not see your uncles beauty, however I did see this Monster. It had an IH dash in it. I tried getting under it to see if I could find the make of the drivetrain but we were pressed for time.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 85182
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
I did stop at alot of Conoco's but did not see your uncles beauty, however I did see this Monster. It had an IH dash in it. I tried getting under it to see if I could find the make of the drivetrain but we were pressed for time....
I saw that car at a car show in Bennington, Vermont (home of Hemmings) right before it was shipped to Murdo. I only know it's the same one because it had a sign saying where it was going. I was stationed in Connecticut in the Navy and it made me home sick for the summers I spent in South Dakota...
IdahoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #131 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Sneak Peak before the build thread....

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #132 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan

Figure out the wheels/tires yet?

I love the cutaway view!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 168725
gonna be awesome.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #134 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
Looks good!
x2 on the cutaway !!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #135 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post

Figure out the wheels/tires yet?

I love the cutaway view!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
gonna be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
Looks good!
x2 on the cutaway !!
Thanks. Sorta a cheesy cut out but it did the job. I remeasured and checked some things last night using my rendereing. Might change the cabinets slightly and I forgot the convect/microwave. I think I'll put that above the stove and make a custom hood under it. (They dont make RV Microwave Hood Fan Combos, or at least none Ive found so far)

Also want to change the layout a bit in the bathroom. It'll be an all wet bathroom. Going to make an aluminum floor for the whole thing and do like a bamboo slats or teke slats to stand on.

My only problem (so far) is the bathroom entrance. If I want a descent size bed (which I CAN'T convence the woman to make into a bed/couch in the back) I have to have at least 4 feet in width. (even thats pushing the comfort zone) Which gives us a 42" bathroom minus about 5" of wall space from the Outside bin which is basically my "water closet" The problem is my entrance to the bathroom. It's 18" of space. My chic and I had a huge laugh when we measured her tits (which where wider than her shoulders) Her boobs would scrape door frame if she would walk straight in. None the less it's doable but I cant change it. If I want a bigger bed, the entrance will be smaller. If I want a bigger entrance the bed will be smaller. And I CAN'T make the 24" kitchen counter skinnier because thats the width of the wheel well directly under it.

As far as wheels go, a couple old timers convinced me to run what I got (for now), they think I'll be fine as long as the tubes hold up inside them. In the mean time I will be looking for some rockwells. I've decided that will be direction in drivetrain, that and 46" MTZ's. I'll go Singles on all four and have a spare on the back. I've looked into a couple 4 link kits for rockwells plus a good friend of mine gets deals on air bags of any size. I'll bag the whole truck, get stiff shocks all around and add torsion bars. Should make for a smooth ride, adjustable drive height, load ajustment and I can level the truck at camp with the bags.

1st the RV conversion (1st year)
2nd take care of the outside (Paint, bumpers, lights, awning) (1st/2nd year)
3rd drop in a IH 392/T-36 or a 5 speed of some kind (cause it needs more HP now!) (1st/2nd year)
4th Change out axles/tires/suspension (2nd year)
5th Cummins (3rd year)
Attached Images

Last edited by LibertySand; 09-19-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention Wheels
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #136 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
To give any advice on the crapper entrance issue, we need to see a life size mock up and naked pictures of said wife entering, exiting, both straight in and sideways entrance, and any other view you would like to send.
I'm sure we can come up with a soloution.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #137 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
To give any advice on the crapper entrance issue, we need to see a life size mock up and naked pictures of said wife entering, exiting, both straight in and sideways entrance, and any other view you would like to send.
I'm sure we can come up with a soloution.
Maybe I can mock up a pony wall for clearance issues this weekend. And take pics for better visual representation for drawings..... hope it's bathing suit top hot this weekend

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #138 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480

How about a bigger MDT transmission (more gears) or a brownie box? Both would have been '76-correct ways to get decent highway speeds.

Very cool project.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #139 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 183978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

How about a bigger MDT transmission (more gears) or a brownie box? Both would have been '76-correct ways to get decent highway speeds.

Very cool project.
+1 on a 7 or more gears
gbkeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #140 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:

Very cool project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkeith View Post
+1 on a 7 or more gears
I'll have to look into this. Was there a Trans offered to IH as a bolt in with 7 or so gears? Maybe I can find a 392 with a trans already on it. (I want to stay IH for now so I dont have ALOT of modifications to worry about in the engine bay area. I need more HP but It is doable at the moment. The Main Concentration needs to go to the RV Conversion all while dropping in a replacement for the 345 thats in it. When I have the RV conversion completed and bugs worked out on a few trips then I'll go big with a Cummins or such.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
I'll have to look into this. Was there a Trans offered to IH as a bolt in with 7 or so gears? Maybe I can find a 392 with a trans already on it. (I want to stay IH for now so I dont have ALOT of modifications to worry about in the engine bay area. I need more HP but It is doable at the moment. The Main Concentration needs to go to the RV Conversion all while dropping in a replacement for the 345 thats in it. When I have the RV conversion completed and bugs worked out on a few trips then I'll go big with a Cummins or such.
I know International had Allison auotmatics bolted up to their SV engines in Loadstars that used a SAE bellhousing so you should be able to bolt a medium duty tranny up to it. Don't know about the flywheel/clutch part of it though. I have never seen anything but four or five speed transmissions on Loadstars and as you know the five speed bellhousings had a specific bolt pattern for the trans. You should look for something from the 80's for your gas engine/7 speed trans. I would probably start by driving your Loadstar down to your local International dealer and asking them about what early 80's Internationals came with.

A 3 speed brownie box would be another relatively cheap way to gain overdrive and some more gears. My 72 bus has enough room for one between the trans and t-case, just have to make the mounts and make my one jack shaft into two. My brownie box is a three speed model with over, direct, and under. I picked it up for $200 from a local junk guy. Look for one from a medium duty truck because a 18 wheeler one will be too big.

Its been a while since I have been on but a website called oldIH had a pretty good forum on Loadstars and you might find some of your answers there. Most of the other International websites are geared more for Scout stuff.

Last edited by shortbus4x4; 09-21-2012 at 08:45 PM.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #142 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
I know International had Allison auotmatics bolted up to their SV engines in Loadstars that used a SAE bellhousing so you should be able to bolt a medium duty tranny up to it. Don't know about the flywheel/clutch part of it though. I have never seen anything but four or five speed transmissions on Loadstars and as you know the five speed bellhousings had a specific bolt pattern for the trans. You should look for something from the 80's for your gas engine/7 speed trans. I would probably start by driving your Loadstar down to your local International dealer and asking them about what early 80's Internationals came with.

A 3 speed brownie box would be another relatively cheap way to gain overdrive and some more gears. My 72 bus has enough room for one between the trans and t-case, just have to make the mounts and make my one jack shaft into two. My brownie box is a three speed model with over, direct, and under. I picked it up for $200 from a local junk guy. Look for one from a medium duty truck because a 18 wheeler one will be too big.

Its been a while since I have been on but a website called oldIH had a pretty good forum on Loadstars and you might find some of your answers there. Most of the other International websites are geared more for Scout stuff.
Much appreciated. Completely forgot about that site (oldIH). I'll check there and I'll be looking into this Brownie box. It might be a quick fix till a diesel. I have plenty of room for one. It helps that the Rockwell T Case is divorced and almost lies mid truck length.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Much appreciated. Completely forgot about that site (oldIH). I'll check there and I'll be looking into this Brownie box. It might be a quick fix till a diesel. I have plenty of room for one. It helps that the Rockwell T Case is divorced and almost lies mid truck length.
There is some info online about the various models of brownie boxes. I will dig mine out this weekend and give you a name and model number of it. Bigger tires and a OD brownie box will be the cheapest way to get more road speed and lower your engine rpms. You could also upgrade to a 5 speed OD IH trans fairly easy but they do have a big split between a couple of the gears. A better 5 speed would be one of the two 5 speed direct drive models with a OD brownie box.

Not to mention it will give you at least two more shifters to stick through your floor boards so you should get somewhere around 2(xcase), 1(trans), 2(brownie box), and 1 ebrake handle for 5-6. And he who has the most shifters wins.

Last edited by shortbus4x4; 09-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #144 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
I know International had Allison auotmatics bolted up to their SV engines in Loadstars that used a SAE bellhousing so you should be able to bolt a medium duty tranny up to it. Don't know about the flywheel/clutch part of it though.
They're 2-piece. Flywheel housing bolts to the engine and is engine-specific. Clutch housing bolts to the flywheel housing and to the transmission and is transmission-specific.

The part where the clutch housing bolts to the flywheel housing is the SAE-2 standardized part. If you can find a flywheel housing for your engine that bolted to an SAE-2 auto tranny, you can bolt up any SAE-2 manual tranny to it. All the clutch linkage parts are on the clutch housing bolted to the tranny.

So, are there two separate housings between your engine and trans? Do they bolt together in a round circle?

An SV to SAE2 adapter (flywheel housing) exists:
Does anyone know the specs on the 345 to SAE#3 adapter mentioned on the board ?????? - Binder Planet Forums

It is also possible your 345 has an SAE3 flywheel housing, depending on your transmission. Measure the diameter of the mating circle to be sure. This thread indicates that 549's had SAE2 flywheel housings...but I'm not enough of an old IH guy to tell you if the 549 and 345 share a bolt pattern on the engine block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand
I'll have to look into this. Was there a Trans offered to IH as a bolt in with 7 or so gears?
I know the ESO66-7B came in the 4700's. I don't know about older IH's.

Quote:
And he who has the most shifters wins.
Absolutely!

-

Last edited by MT4Runner; 09-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #145 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Also check out this thread for more info on SAE2/3 transmissions:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...smissions.html

-
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #146 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Good info, thanks guys. I'll check this all over the weekend. 5 Speed with a Brownie box sounds like my direction. I'll need to verify what I have first. I'm starting to comb Craigslist again in my area for any possible Loadstars with a 392 in it right now. If I can find a combo 392 with a 5 speed I'll just need a Brownie Box to tack on it. I'll worry about taller tires when I get there, hopefully 2.5 tons with some MTZ's.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #147 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130003
I was hoping for them pictures you promised!!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 13467
Quote:
I'm not enough of an old IH guy to tell you if the 549 and 345 share a bolt pattern on the engine block.
They don't. The 345 is part of the SV family (small V), whereas the 549 is in the LV (large V) family. The LV is a big mf'er, like 1100 lbs. big
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #149 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
I was hoping for them pictures you promised!!!!
Took me a bit to remember what for. Then it came to me. Sorry about that. Been busy. This weekend would be a no go also for camera time. None the less, I'll deliver.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #150 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Updates? You just going to bring it to KOH as-is and camp in the shell, or have you just been too busy to post pics?

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.