76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #151 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Updates? You just going to bring it to KOH as-is and camp in the shell, or have you just been too busy to post pics?
I'm waiting to get a little further in the build. However, Thanksgiving came up quick an rather sleep in a tent with the 3 year old and GF I made a wooden platform for two blow up beds and also made a small bunk bed in the back for my daughter. Also bolted down a racing seat to the front passengers side box so I could strap my kid in while driving. My GF works for a lighting company and she made two LED lights that I ran to a 1000 watt inverter that ran off my two batteries from the truck so we had lights at night.

The first night was chilly inside (NO insulation on the metal walls) but the other night s were bearable. Before KOH 2013 I plan on adding either spray in insulation or just tack some moving blankets all over the walls for a quick fix. It all depends if I get my electrical ran and if I get the spray insulation on. One of my concerns is the roof/ceiling. Although it is one solid sheet of metal, it is thin. I plan on adding more ribs and boxing out the AC unit but I want to walk on the roof without it popping and creasing. My plan is to slide a sheet of 3/8 (maybe 1/4) plywood in-between the ceiling ribs (rafters) and the metal sheet roof to add some strenght. Yes, there is some room between the two, they used putty glue to keep the sheet from slapping the ribs, I know this because it now slaps sometimes from me "popping" a couple ribs from the roof.

As far as progress on the RV I have stripped almost everything from inside the box and shed some weight from underneath the frame making room for tanks. Still need to Demo the 2 metal storage boxes inside the box to make room for the bathroom and bed in the back. By mid summer I believe I'll have more time to actually start the build. In the mean time I just made temporary sleeping spots for this season, plus LED lights for night.

Build thread will probably appear late January 2013. By then I'll have some major equipment (AC unit, Generator, electrical...I hope) to start the build with.

Edit: Yes, I am going to KOH 2013 with it. I have two friends racing and I plan on being in Pit 2 or 2A with my rig. And possibly test out the 4 wheel drive a little bit the next day. I want to get more pictures of it in the dirt before I get the Rockwells under it so I can get a good picture timeline of the beast's humble beginnings. Ssssh...maybe I'll be on Extreme RV.....

Here is a couple recent images over Thanksgiving 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LibertySand; 12-06-2012 at 05:23 PM.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #152 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480

See you there. I should be camped somewhere southwest of and fairly near the short course track. I'm KOH Relay Sun, Thurs, Fri and wheelin' Mon-Weds.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 233579
Hi...

I just LOVE you allwheeldrive Loadstar... and what you doing to it...

keep it coming...

I hade the same probleme whit my rims...
what I did was to cut out the center of the old rim... and welded it in to another one...

www.loadstar.se

Last edited by corvinius; 12-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.
corvinius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #154 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Nice Loadie! And you squeezed some Michelins under it! What size are those and how much did you have to raise it from stock?

I also thought about doing the same with my rims but honestly, I'm just going to wait for some Rockwell axles and use the Rockwell rims with hopefully 46" Michelins. I heard I might find some 44" over here in the states!

Whats your plans for your Loadie?!

Edit: I just saw how you squeezed the tires in.... damn!

Last edited by LibertySand; 12-12-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #155 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11745
Dang corvinius that is badass!
Now after seeing both of these trucks I wish my Loadstar was a 4x4!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #156 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvinius View Post
Hi...

I just LOVE you allwheeldrive Loadstar... and what you doing to it...

keep it coming...

I hade the same probleme whit my rims...
what I did was to cut out the center of the old rim... and welded it in to another one...

LOADSTAR
Dude! Where can I get one of these and can you make a model of mine?! How did you make it?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 233579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
Dude! Where can I get one of these and can you make a model of mine?! How did you make it?

well... I made it with milliput and "epoxybond plumber seal"...

you can see some pix @ this Swedish scale-model forum...
OVP :: Lser mne - Int'l LOADSTAR

If you send me one set of "epoxybond" (not avaliable in Sweden, and I'm running out...)
I'll send you two castings of my truck... then you yourself can go kitbaching on one and convert it to YOUR truck... with your own plumber seal...
/marcus...
corvinius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #158 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Hey, you're famous.....
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #159 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Yuuup, that was a fun trip. I claimed that spot around 630AM. I kept hearing, "That thing made it to here?!" or "Meet me at the Big Red Truck, ya....thats me" I had a great time, wished we were pitting but we didnt make LCQ.

From the roof, it made a great platform. I got some god ideas for the roof after this weekend, a bench idea, beer tap, table with glass holders, and possible kneeling pisser into a pipe to the tank, Lol!

Hammertown in the background.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #160 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
That pic was a screen capture from the live internet feed BTW. (So you were on the Jumbotron in camp).

Last edited by MochaMike; 02-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
From the roof, it made a great platform. I got some god ideas for the roof after this weekend, a bench idea, beer tap, table with glass holders, and possible kneeling pisser into a pipe to the tank, Lol!
You'll have to have a black tank vent anyway right?

just make it so you can secure a funnel to the vent pipe.

I saw you on the internet feed and was all
"Sweet the old IH made it out there"

Last edited by 87manche; 02-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #162 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
You'll have to have a black tank vent anyway right?

just make it so you can secure a funnel to the vent pipe.

I saw you on the internet feed and was all
"Sweet the old IH made it out there"
That's what I was thinking! I could make a small funnel deal that I could add into the vent pipe for the black.

As far as the Jumbo Tron, I had several friends out there all hootin everytime they saw the Red Beast on the Screen. My Dad sent this screenshot of us while he was at work.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 75114
I saw this thing in the pits and on the jumbo tron @ CT. Didn't make it over to say hi as I was under the weather most the week.
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #164 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
The big red truck looked good on top of the hill.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Here's its little brother if somebody wanted to follow suit...

1968 International Navy Ambulance

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #166 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Thats so funny. It's a mini Rescue/RV.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 235208
That thing is kewl.........not 2200 worth with no idea if it runs and drives and how old are the 1200 worth of tires.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 92619
Cool rig

Just got 71 IH 4x4 Bus and looking forward to rebuilding it to go out in, the guy that built it made it to go prospecting in.

Have fun
teamgription is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 185197
Still working on this?

Love this truck!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #170 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedfixed View Post
Still working on this?

Love this truck!
Yes, currently looking at Tires and Rims for it. I don't trust the rubber anymore. Getting some quotes from Stockton Wheels and a couple others to cut the centers out of the widow makers and make them a solid rim. I have a couple leads on the rare 38" Michelins with 16" rims. Going that route with singles in the rear. I'll have 2 spares and 4 on the ground. No more dual rears, to many stops to pull out the boulders they pick up between them. I'll most likely mount 1 spare to the back of the rig and keep one at home under a tarp.

Next month I'll be gutting the rest of the inside so I can start welding up the bathroom partition wall and mock up a dinette.

I'm going this route for an AC ClimateRight 8000 btu A/C (no heat) , I didn't want anything on the roof as much as possible to get ripped off by a tree or something. A 3000 Honda EU will power it with no issues plus other electronics.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #171 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Yes, currently looking at Tires and Rims for it. I don't trust the rubber anymore. Getting some quotes from Stockton Wheels and a couple others to cut the centers out of the widow makers and make them a solid rim. I have a couple leads on the rare 38" Michelins with 16" rims. Going that route with singles in the rear. I'll have 2 spares and 4 on the ground. No more dual rears, to many stops to pull out the boulders they pick up between them. I'll most likely mount 1 spare to the back of the rig and keep one at home under a tarp.

Next month I'll be gutting the rest of the inside so I can start welding up the bathroom partition wall and mock up a dinette.

I'm going this route for an AC ClimateRight 8000 btu A/C (no heat) , I didn't want anything on the roof as much as possible to get ripped off by a tree or something. A 3000 Honda EU will power it with no issues plus other electronics.
If those are the same 5-lug, 20" split rims like I have on my 1510, they are not actually "true" widow makers, they are just a split, 3-piece rim. From research and talking with old tire guys actually not that dangerous, if your careful. Sounds like the "true" widow makers were more of a 2-piece rim that was VERY tricky to get set right but gave all split rims a bad rap.

Needless to say, new rubber for 20" rims is very common and actually CHEAPER, even after the tubes and flaps than say a set of 245/75/16 decent tires for a newer truck, atleast when I got new rubber, and will probably last you forever.

There are 20" "tubeless" rims out there with the 5-lug pattern, rare but they are out there, there are also 19.5" rims to use a more modern tire (70's vintage motorhomes).

If it were me, I'd just look for a set of 6-lug wheel hubs, convert to 6-lug all the way around and open yourself to a ton of wheel and tire take-off options. With some right shopping you could net 4-wheel discs as well...

Last edited by RustoleumWhite; 06-11-2014 at 07:33 PM.
RustoleumWhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #172 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
I guess I need to look into the rims a bit more than. If they aren't the 2 piece ones I keep dreading than maybe I can go the easier route. I have been told to look for old Dodge motorhomes, they used the Big 5 pattern also but solid style rim.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 88444
Quote:
I guess I need to look into the rims a bit more than. If they aren't the 2 piece ones I keep dreading than maybe I can go the easier route.
I have a couple of loadstars, both with the two piece "widow maker" rims.

I have replaced my front tires on my '73, and I honestly have to say the hype is a bit ridiculous regarding the "risk" those rims present. If the rim and hoop are in good shape, not bent or rotted, and you are thorough and careful about reassembly, there is no risk. If you want to be extra safe, put a couple of heavy ratchet straps around the tire and rim when you re-inflate, and use a locking chuck with a long hose to inflate it from a few yards away.

The two piece rim allows you to swap a cut tire, or patch a tube, in the middle of BFE with nothing but a BFH. I have air brakes on my trucks, so I can inflate them wherever the truck is.

The catastrophic failures that prompted the DOT to forced a change in design was both economic and based on accidents due, in my opinion, to carelessness and/or incompetence. Since the rims could be disassembled by any yahoo, they often were.

If you do not feel comfortable exploring the truth about the two piece rims, then you should absolutely swap to some Dayton style one piece rims. But I suggest you take one apart and see how it interconnects, and I think you will feel a bit better about them.

Keep the updates coming. I love these beasts. I found a 4WD loadstar parts donor to convert my truck, but it is over 100 miles away, and transporting it would be expensive, since I don't have a big enough trailer.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #174 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Can you fit 22.5's? 10-lug axles are everywhere in truck junkyards and you could have any flavor of wheel or tire you want, new or used.

It's less vintage, but far more available, particularly into the future.

Are the 6-lug hubs for these the same pattern as 2.5T Rockwells?

Quote:
A 3000 Honda EU will power it with no issues plus other electronics.
Quiet generator? Your neighbors will thank you!

Also check out the Champions, they're slightly louder than the EU, but a ton quieter than the "jobsite" generator.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 166782
Send a message via AIM to PaladinMan187 Send a message via Yahoo to PaladinMan187
Love the truck and the old Fire/EMS/Support trucks as I'm a volunteer. Subscribed for the build.

"Be careful where you go, remember where you've been. Thats the way I see it. I'm a simple man." Charlie Daniels

1978 IH Scout II 4WD 345 Auto
1993 Saturn SW-II 1.9 Man
2002 Chevy 2500HD RCLB 2WD 8.1L Man
PaladinMan187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.