76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #176 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Can you fit 22.5's? 10-lug axles are everywhere in truck junkyards and you could have any flavor of wheel or tire you want, new or used.

It's less vintage, but far more available, particularly into the future.

Are the 6-lug hubs for these the same pattern as 2.5T Rockwells?
I was looking to do a Rockwell swap for that reason. The rear would be fine for a top loader but the front wouldn't have enough room so I'd have to lift the rig a bit more than I am wanting to do. Another Pirate guy that lives up the hill from me that I have gotten a few Loadstar parts from already had suggested a top loader and a GM 3rd member swap to make a Side Loader Rockwell. He's done it in the past and still remains a possibility for me however at the same time I have no problems with the axles I currently have either so it becomes a balance act of what direction should I go with. Just find some rims.... Have rims made... Relearn to like split rims.... Rockwell everything with new rims....
It's an endless battle that we all know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #177 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Hadn't ever heard of side loaders. That's badass. Good to learn something new today and it's not yet 9am!

Can you get the GM diff in 6:17 or would you make a pair and use the opportunity to regear?

Whatever you do, my best suggestion would be to go for best future tire availability...and 19.5's aren't the best for ride quality both on and offroad.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #178 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
How many sets of tires do you think you are going to use up? How many sets of wheels do you think you are going to need? Seems like changing axles is opening up about 10 cans of worms. Custom rims if it comes to it seems to me like the easiest and best way out.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 109963
He's talking about making a front loading Rockwell by taking a standard top loader and turning the knuckles 90* and adding a C103 third. The C103 is a common axle and can be found in many different ratios.
caseyray63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #180 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Hadn't ever heard of side loaders. That's badass. Good to learn something new today and it's not yet 9am!

Can you get the GM diff in 6:17 or would you make a pair and use the opportunity to regear?

Whatever you do, my best suggestion would be to go for best future tire availability...and 19.5's aren't the best for ride quality both on and offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyray63 View Post
He's talking about making a front loading Rockwell by taking a standard top loader and turning the knuckles 90* and adding a C103 third. The C103 is a common axle and can be found in many different ratios.
MT4Runner, Casey's the guy I was mentioning about the "side loader" 6:17 isn't exactly what I want for the highway but then again, she's a big girl. 19.5's aren't my wanting rim either but soon enough I'll need to make a decision.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #181 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
How many sets of tires do you think you are going to use up? How many sets of wheels do you think you are going to need? Seems like changing axles is opening up about 10 cans of worms. Custom rims if it comes to it seems to me like the easiest and best way out.
If I go the route of just cutting out the centers of my rims and making new rims. I'll want 4 under the rig and a spare. But if I do all the work to make new rims, I technically have 6 on the rig now (duals in the rear) I might as well make 6 rims. Keep a spare on the truck and a spare at home. Maybe even put both spares on the truck. Wither I need the extra spare on the truck or not, I am also building the rig to look aesthetically bad ass looking also. My planned location for a spare is on the back drivers side bumper, like a swinging tire gate. The passenger side will have 3 gerry cans with a lock box above them for 4X4 storage (straps, chains, recovery gear, was also thinking maybe also fire wood storage)

Here is what I had in mind....
Keep in mind I will be welding the rear doors shut. I will have no need or access to them since the bathroom/shower will be at the rear drivers side and the bunk beds on the passenger side. Planned Emergency exit will be passenger bay window that I'll be putting in. Worst case scenario the front windshield would be kicked out in the event of a roll over.

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-01-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added photochop
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 109963
One advantage of staying with the split rim is that you can change a tire yourself. So you could carry one spare tire/wheel assembly and another tire.

Get a flat on the trail and just throw your spare on. Then when you get to camp you could put a new tire on if needed, or be able to tear the assembly down for repairs.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #183 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
What about just going this route... Military Double Bead Lock H1 Hummer 24 Bolt Wheel and getting two piece 24 bolt hummers. Then run some Guard Dogs The Guard Dog is an On/Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed to meet the needs of pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who desire the looks and performance associated with rugged, off-road driving. Guard Dog Combines a uniform center lug

Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 109963
I can get you the 24 bolt tire and when'll combo for $150 each with the M/TR or desert T/A.
Would be pretty simple to re center them using your rim centers.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #185 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
I can get you the 24 bolt tire and when'll combo for $150 each with the M/TR or desert T/A.
Would be pretty simple to re center them using your rim centers.
Casey, I like the idea. What tire do you think is safer.... the T/A? or M/TR? It seems the M/TR's keep having side wall blow outs. Is there any issues with the T/A's (I'm actually looking to put those on my Scout....)

What about these?
20" military split rims Hemtt Wheels http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...l#post11123024

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 109963
I could be wrong but I think the only difference between all the hummer 37" tires is the tread pattern. And the guard dogs are just recapped hummer tires.
PM dooky, I'm sure he would know.
After thinking about the recentering hummer a bit more I'm not sure they will have a high enough weight rating in single wheel to be safe under that big bitch.
And I thought you needed a taller tire to be more road friendly sense your gearing is so deep in your axles.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #187 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
I could be wrong but I think the only difference between all the hummer 37" tires is the tread pattern. And the guard dogs are just recapped hummer tires.
PM dooky, I'm sure he would know.
After thinking about the recentering hummer a bit more I'm not sure they will have a high enough weight rating in single wheel to be safe under that big bitch.
And I thought you needed a taller tire to be more road friendly sense your gearing is so deep in your axles.
I guess I didn't think about the tires holding all that weight, more so I was thinking the rims.... the reasons why they went from 8 to 12 to 24 to jack up the air pressure in those tires to hold more body armor and what not on the H1's.

So what about finding some of the HMETT's and reentering those. Then find some rubber for the 20"s. I could try to squeeze a 47" Michelin in the fenders.... :smoking:

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 109963
I think we talked about this in person but I'll put it up here to get the opinion of others.
If I were in you shoes I would track down some 9.00-20 NDTs and run those till I could gather parts to bring the drivetrain into the modern world.

I would want to use a set of axles that had a common lug pattern, disc breaks, good gear ratio options, parts availability, and the strength to handle a large tire under a heavy rig offroad.
Thats why I suggested the top loader/C103 hybrid. Lots of ratios available, a fairly common lug pattern, easy to get disc breaks, bearings and seals are available at places like napa, and as a front loader it doesn't require much lift for clearance.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #189 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Yes, I remember that conversation. Just worried about the traction on a wet highway. Do you suggest I run tubes still or would it be mandatory anyways for the rims I have any way's.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #190 (permalink)

Member # 109963
Could grove them, I've found it's fast and easy to grove tires with a router and a carbide bit. Could do all 6 tires in about an hour.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #191 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Those retreads list the capacity at 3850 each. It doesn't say but I believe it is a D rated. Military surp 37" MTR's are also available in a E rating.

If the e rated 37's would be strong enough and 16.5 would clear your drums than custom centers for the 24 bolt wheels and different offset front and rear with 2 spares would seem to be a reasonably cheap way to go.

How heavy do you expect to be when you get it all tricked out?

What axles are in it now?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #192 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Were there any C103 style front axles? Are there any 10-lug hubs that could be run on a Rockwell spindle?

Find a junkyard 10-lug front axle, stick with the stock HEMTT rims and run grooved XML'S.

The benefit is that you can always find a 10-lug wheel/tire combo in a junkyard if you were a thousand miles from home to get you home.

Quote:
Could grove them, I've found it's fast and easy to grove tires with a router and a carbide bit. Could do all 6 tires in about an hour.
Someone on FB recently posted up pics of using a sharpened air chisel bit and really grooving FAST.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 109963
Any thoughts on the axletech 4000 military axles? They are fairly cheap, disc breaks all around, selectable lockers, stupid strong, low profile, and 10 lug.
Could be a nice combo with a set of HMETT tires and wheels.

Last edited by caseyray63; 07-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 15386
I miss the '71 Loadstar 1800 I had. 345/Clark 5 speed (with O/D) and 2 speed diff with hydraulic PTO and dumpbed. Only had 17,000 farm miles on it but ran like a top. If I hadn't gotten sick and broke my shoulder/tore my left leg ligaments, I was going to turn it into a tow/camper truck.
Good luck with yours!

Last edited by carnuck; 07-17-2014 at 09:29 PM.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #195 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Any thoughts on the axletech 4000 military axles? They are fairly cheap, disc breaks all around, selectable lockers, stupid strong, low profile, and 10 lug.
Could be a nice combo with a set of HMETT tires and wheels.

Ok, I have looked online about those before. Not really knowing what I'm getting myself into with axles above the 1 ton status is above my tech knowledge. Same goes with Rockwells. However I am not against it as my option. Something of that size I would have tons of questions about.

Lets say 4000 military axles are the route. Will I need more breaking force from my Hydro/Air assisted booster setup already or would it handle those massive calipers?
Obviously it would solve my Rim issues with a set of HMETT's and I can practically get any type of tire being a 20" rim.

I guess I should start looking for some 4000's. Gonna have to make a call to Hundy....

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-18-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 109963
It looks like the brakes are air drivin discs. Switching to air breaks shouldn't be that hard.
There is some good tech on thies axles in gen 4x4.

Last edited by caseyray63; 07-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #197 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
I look at those axles & think.... IH (It's Heavy!).

Kinda overkill in my opinion. (unless you want run 800+HP & 50"+ tires).
Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 15386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
I look at those axles & think.... IH (It's Heavy!).

Kinda overkill in my opinion. (unless you want run 800+HP & 50"+ tires).
That will depend on the load and the terrain it will be driven in.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #199 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Ok, now I have a new possible route to get some new rubber under this puppy.

Buddy of mine just got done bobbing his Freightliner that had 24.5 Alcoas on it. He now has a set (4 rims) that he is about to give me. It's a big 10 lug with the pilot hub opening at 12.75ish. I ran home to measure my lugs, hoping the 10 lug I had is smaller than the diameter of the Alcoa's hub opening so I could cut out an adapter. Like they make for the 1ton 8 lugs to run 10 lug Alcoa's. It is not. However...... I am now looking into making an adapter to work. Tonight I will be taking better measurements and then fire up Solid Works to get some drawings made. I can cut up to 1" plate at work but I think I'll need at least 2" to recess the IH's 10 lug nuts/studs so that the 10 lug Alcoa can sit flush on the adapter.

Here is a bad sketch. Yes, I drew it as an 8 lug.

If I can get this done I'll have 4 bad ass 24.5 rims that I can get some commercial on/off road drive tires for and I'll never look back. https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...trucktires/app
Attached Images

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-12-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #200 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
I'll need something "like" the two of these adapters. I'll need the adapter to center the Alcoa but at the same time I have a tight clearance on both 10 lug patterns. (Keep in mind both patterns need to be 10 lug) Notice in the first picture the smaller lug pattern crosses the pilot lip. I'll need that in conjunction as in the second pic so that I can bolt the adapter to the hubs.

I'll need to come up with a Hybrid Adapter with minimal thickness. I don't need more offset as I am already running dual rims on the front.
Attached Images

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.