76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #201 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
If you are getting those axles, find rims that will fit on them.

I'm not sure if anyone makes/has 10 lug to 8 lug conversion adapters.

Even if you get the nice rims cheap, the adapters will be pricey.

So, I'd either find axles that would work with the rims or find rims that work with the axles.

Keep in mind custom stuff is cool... but if it breaks, you are stuck until the custom stuff can be remade.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #202 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Looking for something like this?

Found that in here
22.5 or + alcoa simi rims - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #203 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
If you Google image search "24" 10 lug adapter" you can come up with a set with a link to midweststreetrydersforum.com as a for sale post. Cant tell how old it is or anything, work keeps blocking access to the sight which is about normal. They block me from here off and on too though.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #204 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
Looking for something like this?

Found that in here
YES! However I think I'll be having to make my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
If you Google image search "24" 10 lug adapter" you can come up with a set with a link to midweststreetrydersforum.com as a for sale post. Cant tell how old it is or anything, work keeps blocking access to the sight which is about normal. They block me from here off and on too though.

Check and checked

jemarshall,
Post was in 2009 but thanks and I'll keep looking. This will probably be a custom cut. Here was his pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-12-2014 at 02:08 PM.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #205 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
I have also thought of enlarging the pilot hole to my own size to juuuuust clear the stud nuts. But after looking at that last post and what he did to his rims to make them fit his ford, I'm not sure if there is enough meat left for strength....

Here's a couple pics that he took.

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #206 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I wouldn't turn them like that to fit. If you look at the pic of the adapter and the way the nuts are centered between the larger ones, have that milled out to clear the nut for the smaller pattern. Should have more than enough strength going that way.

Not a paint master but something like this.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #207 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
So just mill (basically cut out the spot where the IH's lug nuts would go) out the rim to just clear the lug nuts.... Hmmmmm. I think I like that idea.

Gonna have to make a "Beauty Rim" to cover those nasty holes. I could spin a nice cap that has a flange that I put on before the Alcoa nuts go on.
Or I just do this and be done with it. Alcoa Wheels North America: Products: Product Technology: Accessories: Heavy Duty Trucks - Hub Cover Systems

Chit, now I'm shopping for crap I don't even have yet!

Last edited by LibertySand; 08-13-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: "Beauty Rim"
Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #208 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
All right. I had some measurements taken, they were off. I finally was able to pick up a rim for better measurements. Redrew and I cut a sample piece to match up.
POSER PIC

Here is what I will need to cut from the Alcoa Rim so that I can bolt it to the IH hub and adapter plate. You'll notice the IH hubs lug pattern is almost dead center with the Alcoa's pilot hub hole.

Video of Alcoa 10 lug sample template. 18GA CRS off of a C1 Amada combo. (What I run in the show room)

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #209 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Well, looks like everything matches up. Now I need to buy some studs to verify the correct size hole. I'll need to know the depth to machine the countersink on the back side of the plate to recess the studs head so they sit flush.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Got any pictures of your light bar build or what you have done to the interior?
The rim idea looks pretty good, that old loadstar won't know what to do with the bling.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #211 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
The light bar was something between a Dakar style light bar and a roof rack. It's currently unfinished as I will be taking the top bar along the whole roof to the back combined with a ladder to get onto the roof.

Not much pictures of the Rack build but my friends from LEADFOOT Offroad did my bending and fab work.

As far as the inside, not much has changed since my first removal and temporary skin job and temporary bed platforms. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/inter...l#post15079144

Last edited by LibertySand; 09-02-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 499873
What a great build of an old Loadstar!

It has so much potential and you have named it appropriately. It makes the Ford Expedition look like a pretender to the name!

If anyone is truly looking for a 4X4 bus, we have one for sale that has a DT466/MT643 in it: http://showroom.auction123.com/thebu...6VH454131.html
MarkObtinario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #213 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkObtinario View Post
If anyone is truly looking for a 4X4 bus, we have one for sale that has a DT466/MT643 in it: http://showroom.auction123.com/thebu...6VH454131.html
Dang you guys need a new camera if you ever plan to sell things online!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #214 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 173375
I just came across these on a different forum and this thread came to mind.

One 22 5 x 8 25 Forged Blank New Aluminum Wheels | eBay

22.5 x8.5 blanks, if you're already having machine work done to wheels, you could start with those and forgo the adapters.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #215 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Not a bad idea, I'll need to look into water jetting. I don't think I can Mill something that large...

Old 04-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Any new progress on the beast?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 196160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post

Ok, I have looked online about those before. Not really knowing what I'm getting myself into with axles above the 1 ton status is above my tech knowledge. Same goes with Rockwells. However I am not against it as my option. Something of that size I would have tons of questions about.

Lets say 4000 military axles are the route. Will I need more breaking force from my Hydro/Air assisted booster setup already or would it handle those massive calipers?
Obviously it would solve my Rim issues with a set of HMETT's and I can practically get any type of tire being a 20" rim.

I guess I should start looking for some 4000's. Gonna have to make a call to Hundy....
I have been following your build and I just bought those same axles. I am considering putting them in my Kaiser M725 Ambulance

Old 04-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:
Originally Posted by defbob View Post
I have been following your build and I just bought those same axles. I am considering putting them in my Kaiser M725 Ambulance

I have some M715/725 projects along with my Loadstars and have thought the same thing.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 196160
What tranny is behind the V8 in the Loadstar?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #220 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
Any new progress on the beast?
Recently pulled all my temporary blow up bed platforms. Labeled and pulled out Insulation and hoping the next available weekend to cut out 2 bins from inside the box.
Been at it again with getting an adapter made for the 24.5 Alcoa's but after reading a post about some blanks from Alocoa I might go that direction. The cost might out weight adapters and a piece of mind that there is now extra parts.

Quote:

I think axles will be my last resort since the axles I have are already pretty brut and work. Axles will be replaced way after I get a Diesel in this beast. Looking at a DT360 with a 6 speed Allison.

Quote:
What tranny is behind the V8 in the Loadstar?
Well I'm running a 345 IH and I believe it's a 4 speed granny. T38? I don't recall. No matter what I am always starting off in second. 1st is ridiculously low specially with the 6.50 something gearing in the axles.

Last edited by LibertySand; 04-22-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 196160
6.50, wow. That's approaching M35A2 territory
Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 196160
I just picked up my axles on Monday

Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #223 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
WOW! Those are gorgeous!
Post up your link to the build thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 196160
I will, but I need to finish my Willys MB first.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...lt-willys.html
Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 232327
Any updates to this BEAST?

sokoloka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.