76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
76 IH Loadstar Xpedition Vehicle

Well ladies and gents it is likely I will be getting another Loadstar added to my side yard.

Today my GF had to borrow the 74 1700 Loadstar for some heavy equipment at her work. (I no longer have the Yellow Loadstar)
I told her she is the only one to drive it.
That and she had to take me a couple times around the block so I can see how she does shifting and braking (air brakes).
Hot damn! This chic can drive a big boys truck! I was so proud inside. Never knew she could drive stick! She never stalled it or anything.

So later today I get a message from her saying she liked driving the truck. She also went the lengths at looking for them on the net. Well, she caught the IH bug and somehow came across this...

Quote:
1976 International Loadstar Ambulance - $3500 (Harmony)

Date: 2012-06-03, 10:54AM CDT

1976 International 1600 Loadstar 4x4. 12,000 original miles. 345ci International motor. 4 speed manual. Extreme camper? Maintenance truck? Party bus? Drive it anywhere. Runs down the road nice. Starts easy. Great tires. $3500 obo.

Here was part of the conversation I had with my chic.

Quote:
Jason Guerin: (10:09:57 AM) It would take 29 hours to drive it home.
Hilinai Thomas: (10:56:52 AM) Okay then lets do it
Jason Guerin: (10:57:08 AM) What?! Really?
Jason Guerin: (10:58:16 AM) Keep in mind that that will be an on going project.
It'll need a toilet, water tanks, poop tanks, shower, beds, kitchen and
an AC and possible later find a Cummins diesel motor for it.
Hilinai Thomas: (11:04:41 AM) Ok
Hilinai Thomas: (11:04:47 AM) Lets go
Jason Guerin: (11:05:11 AM) Um...
Hilinai Thomas: (11:05:33 AM) Um what?
Jason Guerin: (11:05:58 AM) Really?
Hilinai Thomas: (11:06:40 AM) Yes. U can fix that up. Or get a school bus and convert it
Jason Guerin: (11:07:52 AM) No Bus. Tooo Big!
Jason Guerin: (11:08:41 AM) Wait...."U can fix that up" You mean me? What about us?
I want you by my side paintin and shit!
Hilinai Thomas: (11:09:28 AM) Yup. I will paint
Hilinai Thomas: (11:09:40 AM) Look at the buses too
Jason Guerin: (11:10:31 AM) Nope, this one is 4wd
So, as you read this we are looking at flights for 4th of July to fly out to MI from SoCA to drop off some cash and drive her back 1,856 mi (30) hours home. My chic has already invited along another couple to come join us on our little excursion.

I have already spoken to the seller and he will be sending more images of the 76 Loadstar tonight. It has new tires, motor is fresh with new oil's. New gaskets cause they were leaking when he bought it some time ago. All lights work on it, gauges work, heater works, new receiver on the rear, new dual exhaust, hardly no rust, a small dent on drivers fender and he even sounds confident it'll make the trip to CA.

With that being said....I'll still be flying to MN with some tools, check up on my AAA card and service and hope to gawd this 20 year vet of a big rig mechanic isnt playin with me. He seems really cool so far. I asked for undercarriage photos and other views so hopefully I can get more pics posted up tomorrow.

My plans for this Loadstar is to build an Xpedition Rig out of it. Normal amenities, possible rockwell upgrades and a Cummins. More ideas to come out soon, just gotta make sure it all happens first and I hope to gawd I didnt jump the gun by piling it all out here.....which i'm sure I did

More to come tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LibertySand; 01-19-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: No longer have the Yellow Loadstar
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 11266
COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep us posted on the trip. take lots of pics and get going.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Damm it must be worth that much in scrap. I don't know whats cooler, that rig or your GF for wanting it. If you may need a pit stop for any repairs as you drive through NW Ind pm me before the trip and Ill give you my phone number.

If you have the deal locked up, wheres it at in MI? I wouldn't tell its location until you are secure with the deal
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Well, some Dust just got thrown on my Dream. I didnt take into perspective that it is just like my yellow Loadstar, very close to the CDL requirements to drive. I will have to further investigate my options.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 62360
I've heard of people adding toilets and registering vehicles as RV's as a way to get around needing a CDL to drive. Don't know if that would work in Cali though.

That rig looks awesome though, any idea what it was originally used for?

Last edited by egdinger; 06-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
egdinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Register it as an RV and your CDL requirements will go out the door Class C will work fine. Are the brakes air or hydraulic? If hydraulic you shouldn't have any problems with the commercial cops, if air they might give you a hassle depending on GVW. I have bought and driven a few old Loadstar 4x4's home. They are all geared really really low so don't count on making more than about 50 mph tops. I took out a rod bearing in my 72 Loadstar 1700 4x4 shortbus driving it home trying to make time due to overspeeding the engine. Had to get it towed the rest of the way home and I was only about 150 miles from home when it broke. I say go for it, that is a very unique International and not one you see for sale too often. If you come through N ID on I-90 on your way back and need any help I am a mechanic and there is a pretty good IH club here in Spokane area. Heck even if you don't need help stop by and let me take a look at that.

Last edited by shortbus4x4; 06-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
After several conversations with the owner he found some interesting things about the Rig. Here she is in her prime working for the Fire Dept. http://www.webbhistory.org/m3g.htm

Last edited by LibertySand; 07-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 162643
You have got to get it. Stay off the Interstates as much as possible on the way back, back roads are much more fun anyway and more its speed.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by egdinger View Post
I've heard of people adding toilets and registering vehicles as RV's as a way to get around needing a CDL to drive. Don't know if that would work in Cali though.

That rig looks awesome though, any idea what it was originally used for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
Register it as an RV and your CDL requirements will go out the door Class C will work fine. Are the brakes air or hydraulic? If hydraulic you shouldn't have any problems with the commercial cops, if air they might give you a hassle depending on GVW. I have bought and driven a few old Loadstar 4x4's home. They are all geared really really low so don't count on making more than about 50 mph tops. I took out a rod bearing in my 72 Loadstar 1700 4x4 shortbus driving it home trying to make time due to overspeeding the engine. Had to get it towed the rest of the way home and I was only about 150 miles from home when it broke. I say go for it, that is a very unique International and not one you see for sale too often. If you come through N ID on I-90 on your way back and need any help I am a mechanic and there is a pretty good IH club here in Spokane area. Heck even if you don't need help stop by and let me take a look at that.
So far I have found the same. The GVW on the 1600 is 20200 lbs. When I registered my 1700 Loadstar it was 25000 lbs. In CA they say at 26000 lbs I would need a CDL. So I was in the clear to run to Home Depot or Car Shows and etc. with my class C It's when I put a load on the back of my 1700 that I can get busted for. I'm already looking into getting my class B. I had already planned on changing it over to an RV registration. I'm sure I'll hit some snags along the way.

Yes, the 1600 Im looking at has hydraulic brakes.
It's GVW is 20200 lbs. Under the CA 26000 lbs. limit.
Plus I will have my GF with me for a "Whoopsie's, did that just pop out of my top"

Thanks for the invites, we will be making an itinerary very soon and will keep everyone updated. I just got some pics from the owner. I'll get them posted up for you guys.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
So I was thinking. I'm gonna need a small sortmant of tools and what not for the trip home. I never like traveling without tools in my rig and this should be no exception being I don't "know" this rig. I've also decided to take all this on the plane with me so im packin light.

Before I get toldyas: Yes they will hassle me, no I will not be stopped to get on the plane. No I dont want to ship them when they can ride for free with me. As suggested I will be checking this all in. Not as a Carry On now.

Tools that will be checked in before flight
Small Tool Bag
All in one Screw Driver
Gear Ratchet Socket Kit Standard/Metric
Channel Locks
Crescent Wrench
Needle nose pliers
Dikes
Vise Grips
Bailing Wire
Voltmeter

Stuff that will be checked in before flight
Hose Clamps
Zip Ties
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Tire Plug Kit
RTV Sealant
Rags
My Small Inverter for powering cell phones/electronics
(this might get questioned in customs)
Portable TV's and DVD's
Butt Connectors

Parts that will be checked in before flight
Petronix Kit
Some Plugs
Some Plug Wires
Thermostat
Spare Fuel Pump

Stuff to buy before I drive the 1600 home
Ice Chest
Booze
Chit ton of snacks
Blow up mattress
Maybe look on CL to buy a love seat for the very back
Motor Oil
Trans Oil
Couple Jugs of Water
Coolant
Maybe a 5 Gallon gas jug
Stop Leak
An Egg and some Pepper
Pulley Belts

Anything else?

Last edited by LibertySand; 06-27-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added Suggestions to List
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertySand View Post
So I was thinking. I'm gonna need a small sortmant of tools and what not for the trip home. I never like traveling without tools in my rig and this should be no exception being I don't "know" this rig. I've also decided to take all this on the plane with me so im packin light.

Before I get toldyas: Yes they will hassle me, no I will not be stopped to get on the plane. No I dont want to ship them when they can ride for free with me

Tools that will fly with me
Small Tool Bag
All in one Screw Driver
Gear Ratchet Socket Kit Standard/Metric
Channel Locks
Crescent Wrench
Needle nose pliers
Dikes

Stuff that will fly with me
Hose Clamps
Zip Ties
Electrical Tape
Duct Tape
Tire Plug Kit
RTV Sealant
Rags
My Small Inverter for powering cell phones/electronics
(this might get questioned in customs)
Portable TV's and DVD's

Parts that will fly with me
Petronix Kit
Some Plugs
Some Plug Wires
Thermostat

Stuff to buy before I drive the 1600 home
Ice Chest
Booze
Chit ton of snacks
Blow up mattress
Maybe look on CL to buy a love seat for the very back
Motor Oil
Trans Oil
Couple Jugs of Water
Coolant
Maybe a 5 Gallon gas jug

Anything else?
Awesome find: both the GF and the IH.

As for traveling with tools, the easiest way is to pack them in your CHECKED baggage. None of the stuff you listed will get looked at twice in checked baggage. Some of things you listed will not be allowed for carry-on baggage.

Tools greater that 7" in length are no bueno for carry-on. Diagonal cutters may or not get through.

Seriously, pack your tools and spares in check-baggage and all will be fine. I fly with my toolbox about 4 times a month...never ever a problem when checked.

EDIT: Almost, forgot: MI & CA are both in the USA the last time I checked, so no customs checks for you...unless they fly you via Mexico to MI!

Last edited by vw87c; 06-26-2012 at 11:57 PM.
vw87c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Don't forget vise grips. Duct tape, hose clamps, and baling wire would be in my tool box on a trip with something this old. Maybe some type of stop leak like aluma seal or bars leak too and of course a gas can with gas, oil, and coolant. Some of this stuff I would get when I picked the rig up though. I would also have some butt connectors, test light, and a section of wire for those on the road electrical repairs.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13731
If it is bigger than a regular hand tool and less then $50 - buy it when you get there. No sense paying to take a bunch of stuff you don't really need.

And have I said I hate you?

Do you have a laptop/igizmo/smartphone to access the internet to find parts/IH people to help/gas stations/maps/etc?

Last edited by uglyscout; 06-27-2012 at 06:20 AM.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I hope you are able to give us road-trip updates as this happens

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Check the tires and make sure they are tubeless before you bring a tire plug kit.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
I showed this rig to my wife this morning and even she was like..."that is pretty damn cool".

So since my wife likes it...you must get it. I would be all over that damn thing.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14640
Why not pack a box of tools and send it to the seller, just ask him to hold it until you get there?

Or, use the post office and send it to 'general delivery' in his town for you to pick up when you get there.

No worries about overweight bags or getting into trouble for flying with a tube of RTV.

Last edited by Monkeyplasm; 06-27-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Monkeyplasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Very cool. Yes, please post pictures of the trip.
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
More Pictures that I got from the owner. Lots of Road Grime and little Rust. Not bad for a truck that started in NY as a Fire Ambulance.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Perfect spot for a Generator! This looks to be on the Driver's side. Perfect!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 13731
After seeing the license plate - I realized A) I have been to Harmony, MN. B) Bought two Scouts from that area of southern MN.

Watch out for hidden rust - the amount of salt used in that area is AMAZING.
I found rusty parts that I didn't know could rust.

Last edited by uglyscout; 06-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I know you have a plan but with the retarded way the Airlines are bag charging i would A) ship everything on your list B) buy junk Vatozone tools when I picked up the truck. The airlines are charging 50 buck for the checked bags now and there is no way you will get anything you will need through TSA. I would also add a letherman to your list. For the 50 bucks it will cost for the airlines to loose your checked bag you will be able to get everything on your list in Chinese. Good luck and like I said in the PM, make it through Billings and I got your back.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyscout View Post
If it is bigger than a regular hand tool and less then $50 - buy it when you get there. No sense paying to take a bunch of stuff you don't really need.

And have I said I hate you?

Do you have a laptop/igizmo/smartphone to access the internet to find parts/IH people to help/gas stations/maps/etc?
Yes, bringing an Inverter with me to run 4G Phones, Laptop, charge up GoPros (gotta think of different camera angles for the drive home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I hope you are able to give us road-trip updates as this happens
Ya, thats the plan. Thinking of making a short movie too. Get some cool shots with the GoPros, blowin through corn fields, mountains, main street vegas, and end with traffic in CA. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbus4x4 View Post
Check the tires and make sure they are tubeless before you bring a tire plug kit.
Good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
I showed this rig to my wife this morning and even she was like..."that is pretty damn cool".

So since my wife likes it...you must get it. I would be all over that damn thing.
Tell your chick...Hands off! Yes, defiantly getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '71 800B View Post
Very cool. Yes, please post pictures of the trip.
Pictures and more! Gonna have to christen it too....

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Pictures and more! Gonna have to christen it too....

Fuck the road trip pictures, post up vid of the christening
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
Fuck the road trip pictures, post up vid of the christening
When I was a kid my dad would always hawk a louggie out the passenger window from the drivers side while we crossed a stateline on trips. As an adult I've never really had a "signature stateline crossing" but I think I might be able to come up with something...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.