Forged pistons - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10582
Forged pistons

I am having a 345 long block built for me by my buddies shop. I have two routes I can go, a standard bore using lightened and polished rods and some type of Venolia pistons, or a .040 overbore using hypereutectic pistons and unmodified rods. I'm going with the Venolia pistons and lightened rods, but was curious about these pistons. The bore fits a 345 and the piston pin to deck distance is the same as a 345 piston but it has a completely flat top. It also uses different rings in different locations than the other 345 pistons. I looked on the underside and saw the number 400 on them. I was wondering if this is simply a custom set of pistons or made for a different motor.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
When you say lightened rods, how much are you taking off?

Will the block take a "no" bore oversize? It's kind of rare not to need at least 8-10 thou in a 25+ year old motor.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html

Last edited by Old Scout; 01-08-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2003, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15721
Well I can't really say much about your specific pistons. I have a set of custom Venolia pistons in a 380 which resides in my '55 Poncho. They are stock Pontiac 400 bore, but for use with a shorter stroke crank and they are domed top(really high comp, premium doesn't cut it). I am happy with them, as I have pushed this engine hard, on/over the edge of detonation, for years now.

I agree with OS, if you are doing a performance build it's likely some cleanup of the bores would be beneficial. I have had good results with re-ringing when 'rebuilding' to stock specs, but if I'm spending $ on lightened rods and such, the block is getting new new holes, sleeves if necessary($$$).

If the pistons fit stock bore, pin location, and pin diameter, then they likely were made for it. Venolia might know...

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10582
Not much material has been taken off the rods, just the small ridges on the sides and some off of the flat area on the bottom. I have been told the block will take a standard bore piston, although I did not see him measure it out. The block is in the machine shop getting new cam bearings and the cylinders honed right now. I will see what Venolia has to say about these pistons.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78
Hey mark which truck are ya building the engine for? Have you gotten any pics of the latest mods to the traveler? Take it easy man.

-j-rOd

85 Roach Build Thread

84 Toy Farm Beater
85 Toy Trail Roach
85 Toy SR5 xcab DD
88 4Runner Fambly Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10582
J-rod, This motor is going in the SSII. That 345 in the Traveler runs well enough for now. At least until I can throw down on a Caddy 500 I picked up a 4.57 geared Eaton rear for it and need to locate a matching front.