Uh-Oh...Better get cracking: - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
So last night I ended up dropping my Hydro Assist ram. When I had first put it on I was pressed for time and didn't make the correct spacer for it. Now that I am having steering issues, IE no power steering at all, it is a good time to pull the ram apart and fix the shit up:

Name:  scoutram1.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  92.2 KB

Here you can see how I made my spacer I used a stack of stainless steel washers to limit my stroke. I used stainless as it softer than the hardened shafting, and we have boxes of them here at work.

The thing that I didn't like about using the washers is that the OD of the washer was too big and displaced too much fluid on the stroke. This made a high/low situation in my pump that was quite visible when cycling the steering. The other thing that was evident is that the washers could and would separate and "lock" onto the shaft due to the aspect ratio of thickness vs. ID. The fluid would also would be worked hard as it is compressed against that many faces to close the stroke dimension.

The steering on that stroke direction seemed "funny".
Name:  scoutram2.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  120.2 KB

One of the other things I noticed when I pulled the ram apart was that this O-ring wiper/spacer looks to have been pinched? It also looks like it is burned? I am planning on just trimming this flashing off and running it.

I am thinking of calling Rockstomper and seeing if this is an actual cup seal or if it is just an O-ring spacer.
Name:  scoutram3.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  76.6 KB

The fluid that came out of the ram body was swirled with what looked like fine metal dust. Not good. It was also harder than shit to pull the ram apart...like really hard. I had to bold down the stationary end of the ram and have my 14 YO baby huey put his 240lbs into it while twisting the piston rod. I think that it was waaaaayyyy too tight.

This could have been adding to my steering issues as well.
Name:  scoutram4.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  104.4 KB

Just another view of the piston and the sucked wiper/spacer
Name:  scoutram5.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  66.3 KB

So today I am having a DELRIN spacer made in the machine shop. It is going to be 2.750" long x .755 ID x 1.00" OD. This will keep the fluid displacement to a more equal measurement. It will also allow for a smoother piston travel in both directions.

I am going to still install the reman'ed steering pump when it gets in. It is only $42 and I can't imagine that my pump really has much life left if any.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Are we taking all our pics with Instagram now?

I think a 60F is just what the Dr. ordered
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
I think a 60F is just what the Dr. ordered
x2

If you don't like Ben's D60 offer - I've got a Chevy D60 with 5.38's, Spartan Locker, 35 spline chromo stubs, high steer arm on passneger side, drive flanges and all new rotors, bearings and seals.... add $100 for some new loaded calipers and you'd be set! Just waiting for a new home.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
3. If you have 5.38's and made me a deal, I am sure that we could "work something out".
Gears I have are 5.13s.
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Progress...

I have been putting in time when I can on getting things together. Now that the boys are living with us...I have been spending a lot of time on school preparations as well as getting the 14yo on a roll with football.

Here is how my ram spacer turned out. The guys in the machine shop turned me this one out of PEEK. The OD is soooo much smaller than the washer stack and should really let the fluid flow. It will also handle the heat better than UHMW or DELRIN.
Name:  IMG_5536.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  112.3 KB

Got my new pump from ROCKAUTO and it came in record time. It was even cheaper than VATOZONE.
Name:  IMG_5670.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  70.9 KB

Laying the pumps out next to each other...you can see the size of the filler neck/resi and the difference between the two. I am thinking that I might need to add a remote resi for higher capacity. Time will tell.
Name:  IMG_5671.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  79.7 KB

I needed a new battery. The EXIDE GEL battery that I bought back in '06 had shit the bed. It went all Optima on me and wouldn't hold a charge more than a couple of days. Forget about winching. I couldn't see spending $240 fresh on the SEARS Die Hard battery that I have heard kicks ass. I also don't ever really feel that I have ever needed the GEL battery features.

So Walmart has a battery that is nearly identical in stats as the SEARS DH. 800 CCA and a deep reserve. It also came with a 3 year 100% replacement guarantee.
Name:  IMG_5673.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  82.9 KB

Changed over from the wing nuts that had been on the rig since I bought it. Stainless lock nuts and flats will hold my cables down much better. It is truly the little things any more.
Name:  IMG_5675.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  62.1 KB

So as of this afternoon the Power Steering pump is replaced and installed with a mexi-chromed bracket. The rig has been started and confirmed that it runs...ALWAYS A GOOD FEELING!

This weekend I will be making a small headlight and relay harness for my new headlights. I also am going to start on the beadlocks as well...
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
I have (IIRC) ps from an 84 Checy 1 ton.

The pump has a round can with top, hose & remote resvoir.

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014

Last edited by MochaMike; 08-31-2012 at 10:28 PM.
MochaMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Finally installed my new headlights. I removed the 1907 vintage sealed beams that were in it running off of 18 gauge brittle green wiring

The new lights are running off of *bosch* type relays and 10ga power/12ga feeder wiring. Localized grounds.

I bought these diamond lense chink-mo fab units like 2006 and never have put them in They have an LED ring around them.
Name:  IMG_5703.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  77.0 KB

H4 bulb and retainer:
Name:  IMG_5707.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  88.4 KB

Had to hack out some of the back of the stock bucket to clear the larger junk in the trunk.
Name:  IMG_5706.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  75.7 KB

The boot nipple shown here needed to get cut off or else the bulb retainer would get un-latched when you tried to push the connector onto the bulb...silly asians!
Name:  IMG_5709.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  70.6 KB

Due to the location of the light ring lead wires...I needed to notch the lense retaining ring.
Name:  IMG_5718.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  51.0 KB

The headlights are now bright as fuck...
Old 09-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Here is the layout of the two relays that I added for the headlights. They are triggered using the stock low power wiring from the switch. I had done this on my first scout, and it is still one of the most under-rated modifications you can make to your shit-box.
Name:  IMG_5713.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  100.6 KB

Here is what the finished housing/lense/retainer looks like.
Name:  IMG_5719.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  78.3 KB

Upon testing...it appears 1/2 of my LED halo ring doesn't light up. It could be because of the fact that the whole she-bang was only like $35.00 for both lenses back six years ago...or I might have fucking pulled out one of the power leads when assembling things. They are diiiiinnnnkkkkyyyy.

I will worry about that later.

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 09-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Today I had some new U-bolts bent up for my rear...Trying to level out the rig and find a good right height for the rear. I am doing this with some long "zero rate" blocks... I will someday get the ride height with springs. But I don't really have time to fuck with that right now.
Name:  IMG_5722.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  114.4 KB

Sure wish I had one of those machines :-)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
I used have one of those Tonka trucks.... Sure wish I still did.

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014
MochaMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdude_Jay View Post
Crack the whip! Nate and I thinking about going on the IH trip this year with a super secret new rig. Hope you'll be there with your Scout.
Looks like we're jumping ship. We are going to the Pick-Up-A-Mountain event. We will be camped down the highway from you at Jim Sprick Park and running all over Manashtash, maybe run into you.
http://www.off-camber.com/forum/topi...mountain-2012/