ih4ever's Revival - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got my radiator back and have the brackets all welded up in place. I've been making some small brackets to help support the extra coolers I have on it. Working on all the little details on hardware and ways to mount everything.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pic of the mounting brackets.

[IMG][/IMG]

And pic of the slick welds

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Went and started mounting my electric fan, my tranny cooler and my steering cooler on to the radiator over the past couple of days.

Here's my fan with some fancy mounting brackets I made.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The brackets went up and over the top of the radiator and then had a bolt slid through both sides of the cover piece on top. And then also bolted on the bottom.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next was my tranny cooler. The left side was bolted to a bracket and the right side was bolted to a bracket similar to the electric fan brackets.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then my steering cooler was mounted using the radiator to frame mount and another bracket on the tranny cooler. I mounted the steering cooler as low as I could, to help in bleeding the air from the system.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next will be to mock it all up and mount it in between the frame rails of the Scout!!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Had the chance before work to make some mounting brackets for the radiator to mount onto the frame. Getting everything all measured out and mocked up and ready to be welded.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 159101
What fan are you running and how "thick" is it? I want to run electric but I got minimal space to work with. A Taurus fan wasn't able to fit and yours looked pretty slim. Thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Scout800 View Post
What fan are you running and how "thick" is it? I want to run electric but I got minimal space to work with. A Taurus fan wasn't able to fit and yours looked pretty slim. Thanks
Running a Pro Comp fan. The stats says it pushes 2,500 cfm!! It's a 16" diameter fan with 3" depth in center (motor) and 1.5"s at its edges.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 46467
I like the S fan looks. the CFM is miss leading. Think of it this way.
Would you buy a drill that pulled 2.8 amps @2,200 rpms, or would you pick the one that pulls 5.6 amps at 1,100 rpms?

What am I saying? pick the high amp draw fan or drill.

I pick up 16" Volvo fan on 1/2 price day and its 4" deep
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got my radiator brackets all welded up on the frame and started to make sure all the tranny cooler lines and radiator hoses will work. Made some crude radiator hose models out of wire and then took a little time behind the parts counter at a local autozone. But I was able to come up with two hoses that fit perfectly!! Gotta remember to write down the part numbers for later.

Top radiator hose
[IMG][/IMG]

And lower hose.
[IMG][/IMG]

Oh yea... I also finally got permission from the wife to buy these!!!

5 42"x15"x17" Pitbull Tires. They are in transport as we speak!
Found out each tire weighs 105 lbs!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Had a relatively productive weekend on the scout.

Made a tool out of 1/4" metal with some drill bits in order to remove the cap on my PSC ram.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got my tranny lines all figured out and the system enclosed. So now I can start putting fluid in it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Began to mount a new heater system. A small unit behind the glove box under the dash.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted it using the supplied brackets. The front wasn't so bad, just drilled two hole and mounted it. The rear mount was a little tricky.

I figured since I had a 4-5" square in the fire wall already from the old heater core, I could come up with some kind of bracket to kill two birds with one stone. And so I did. Made a bracket using the existing bolts that held the heater core ducting in place and made another bracket on the dash side to mount the new heater core to.

Outside mockup.
[IMG][/IMG]

Inside tac welded.
[IMG][/IMG]

And finished product on the inside.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also mounted my steering reservoir. Since I don't have a hood to see clearances, I used my other scout and its hood for references. It should clear the way it is. If not i may end up trimming some of the brackets under the hood.
[IMG][/IMG]

And I also picked up these bad boys!!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Well....

Spent the good amount of my past two weekends grinding, welding and grinding some more. Then painted and soaped up some 42" meats and installed 4 of 5 tires on beadlocks. Man!! I had no idea it would take that long for all those 32 bolts to tighten up. Bending over the tires for that long killed me!!

Here's my new wheels, which came in 2 weeks rather than the 6 weeks I was told it would take!! I liked that!

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the inner beadlock ring with the built in anti-cone built in.

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the inner beadlock welded up.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

With the beadlock ring on the wheel, the factory valve stem holes wouldn't allow for any tool to pump the tire with air. So I had the hole plugged and then I re drilled new valve stem holes. And installed these bad boys. Hopefully they work, I'm pretty sceptical about them, they could go either way. The rapid air down system.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the beadlock ring on the outside. I like it, but maybe I'm a little bias.
[IMG][/IMG]

Installed...
[IMG][/IMG]

Front view of full width. Almost makes me want to leave the fenders off...

[IMG][/IMG]

And one happy Scout owner!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Looks good, why does the inner bead lock have those tab sticking out.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 43110
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Looks good, why does the inner bead lock have those tab sticking out.
Anti Coning ring essentially.

This is looking great Chris. Its been a long time coming but it looks like your doing it right! I remember that thing before 33's

Last edited by mxracer33x; 07-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.
mxracer33x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 46467
I must be out of it, WTF is a Coning ring. Upon closer looking, I guess those are rock rings?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 117530
Good looking fab work! From what I understand the "anti cone" pieces, or tabs in this case keep the outer ring from bending down in the center (coning) when you tighten all the bolts. On the really thick beaded tires this is more of a problem.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer33x View Post
Anti Coning ring essentially.

This is looking great Chris. Its been a long time coming but it looks like your doing it right! I remember that thing before 33's
Thanks Jim! Means a lot! It's been a long time that's for sure. I was just looking at pics the other day when I first brought her home. :

Alright R290... Lets see if I can explain this to ya on the computer. On beadlocks you want equal pressure on the wheel and the tire. If you didn't have anything limiting the inner half of the beadlock when the outer half if snugged up on the tire. Your beadlock ring would look like this, > (take the top half of it). You want it to look like this =. Hoped my explanation helped.

Something like this...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 107873
Love this build! Can't wait to see it complete... (Not that we are ever REALLY"done").

Last edited by BADB0Y; 07-06-2014 at 12:27 PM.
BADB0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADB0Y View Post
Love this build! Can't wait to see it complete... (Not that we are ever REALLY"done").
Thanks! Me neither!

Well took this week off because of my bday. Was planning on getting stuff done on the scout, but you know how often plans change...

My mom called on Tuesday asking if I could use 60+ rolls of sod for $20. And of course the wife wants grass in the back yard instead of a gravel landscape. So I said sure. But didn't have anything ready for sod to be laid. I couldn't pass on the deal. So I busted my ass for the week and was only able to lay half the sod before the rest started turning brown. And will be installing sprinklers after somehow. Had to rake about 2-3"s of large road base gravel out if the way. Took all week to get half the yard done, but the wife's happy. And you know what they say, happy wife happy life.

On the topic of wife's. Mine is awesome! She asked what I wanted for my bday and let me pick it out :-) This is what I chose. Should help me see a little while night crawling.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

On an other note, I was able to get some things done over the past few weeks. Got my heater core soldered up and painted. Got my steering system enclosed except for the hydro assist ram portion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I went and measured my steering for my hydro assist ram and what I needed to do, to limit it internally. I needed 2 1/8"s to limit the ram. I did some research and found a majority of people used UHMW plastic and used hole saws to cut and fit into the cylinder.

Well I thought I'd be smarter and instead of using a hole saw, I would order the correct diameter tubing and drill a hole through it. Well, easier said then done. First I cut a piece to fit and began to drill using a drill press. And trying to find dead center proved to be harder than I thought. I ended up tossing my first limiter and tried to find and easier way.

I went into my mechanics shop an found a nice lil lathe just begging to be used. So I hooked up the drill bit and started the plastic turning. And low and behold... A nice piece of plastic with a centered hole. It worked so nicely I decided to make two of em!!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #117 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4ever View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Just a couple quick notes...or suggestion:

1. Be sure that your ID of the stroke limiter is large enough to allow it to slide freely. You want it to be able to slide down the shaft under its own weight. Otherwise you will be adding drag to the system.

2. Your outside diameter of the spacer looks a bit big as well. My "opinion" is that you want to keep at a minimum .250 per side of clearance. This will allow the volume of fluid to move around the spacer with minimum resistence...and without creating added heat.

Just some observations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Just a couple quick notes...or suggestion:

1. Be sure that your ID of the stroke limiter is large enough to allow it to slide freely. You want it to be able to slide down the shaft under its own weight. Otherwise you will be adding drag to the system.

2. Your outside diameter of the spacer looks a bit big as well. My "opinion" is that you want to keep at a minimum .250 per side of clearance. This will allow the volume of fluid to move around the spacer with minimum resistence...and without creating added heat.

Just some observations
HOS,

Thanks for the suggestions and observations. The ID of the spacer is definitely loose enough over the cylinder shaft. And I probably have about 3/16" of space between the spacer and the ram wall. You think that will be enough clearance, knowing that I have a cooler for the system?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got this done yesterday evening. For what ever reason, I just didnt like the idea of having my batteries up front. Probably because it would take more tube bending, plus it would of added weight up front and raised the center of gravity that much more. So I decided to use what the Scout gave me. Underneath the rear passenger seat is a small "step" of dead space. And in supporting my shock hoops, we ran a bar across from both hoops just to the rear of this "step". So I bought some CHEAP battery hold downs just to see if I could make it work. And this is what I came up with.

here you can see the bar going across with two brackets I made out of some angle. And also the four tabs the two battery boxes are being supported by aswell.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the two battery trays being held up by the two brackets together.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a look from the ground up, with the front of the Scout at the bottom of the pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another pic from underneath the Scout.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just need to get a new bolt to bolt up the fuel pump, as the button allen head hits the side of my battery when its installed. Then Ill have both batteries up under the Scout, and be one step closer to getting it RUNNING!!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got one battery up under the Scout. Went to put the second in and as my luck would have it, I found a little bulge in the battery. So I'm waiting to receive a replacement in the mail.

Here's a pic of the battery all bolted up. I wiggled it and tried to move it around. Stayed still and no brackets moved! Just the way it should be.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next is to tack up the hydro assist steering ram to the D60 truss. Then the steering system will be enclosed.

Last edited by ih4ever; 07-29-2014 at 10:17 PM.
ih4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got my hydro assist ram tacked welded up on the truss, but left the tie rod end loose until I get the toe-in measured and set. Fixed a leak in the tranny I guess that's what I get for not remembering to put in the grommet in the tv cable housing...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Started to play around with a center console mounting option for the Klune-V shifter and the tranny shifter. Slowly but surely.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Well, I was able to get my second battery up and mounted before it began to rain and I had to start covering up stuff. Hopefully tomorrow will dry up and I can get my heater mounted and plumbed.

Another pic from the ground looking up.

[IMG][/IMG]

And one looking over the 14B truss.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Little things since last post.

I attempted to turn my hydro assist ram the other direction to see if I could gain more clearance with the links vs. the hydro fittings. No such luck, the ram would hit the diff at full right turn. So re tacked the ram back the way I had it originally.

Hooked up the hydraulic lines from the ram to my steering box. The top fitting on the box was a 45deg and the bottom fitting was a 90deg (used what I got in the kit) Ended up needed two 45deg hose ends at the box in order for the lines to not bind up at full flex/compress. So Ill have to change out the bottom one this weekend.

Put oil in the engine!! Put antifreeze in the radiator and put tranny fluid in! Getting closer!

Had my neighbor come over and help me get painless wiring harness all spread out and mocked up in the engine compartment. I will definitley need to cut some of the zip ties to peel back some wires and put em where they need to go. And also cut and solder some wires because they are way too long for what I need.

Out with the old and in with the new...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Ended up not having too much time this weekend to get things done. But I was able to get my new hydraulic hose fitting on. And make some mounting brackets and mounted my ECM.

I also filled up my power steering reservoir! All fluid systems are filled and ready to go!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted it under and behind my dash. Should be plenty water proof.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Had some time before work this week to get my radiator overflow container mounted inside the engine compartment. Wasnt too difficult, made a bracket using the York compressor to mount it to.

Here it is in test fitting.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And here it it's painted and mounted.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.