ih4ever's Revival - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Not much happening scout wise. Having fun installing an electric gate on the driveway. Digging up old fence post concrete slab after slab.

Working on the electrical system with my neighbor and his buddy before I head into work on the past few Saturdays. If all goes well, we could get possibly get it up and running this Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 35721
fire in the hole!!

Had some time on Saturday to try and get the Scout cranking over and hopefully running. Well didn't quite run, but it did fire up...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Well I've been making some little progress with the Scout. Installed the master cylinder and began to run the brake lines.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Had my way of rednecking my toe in measurement.
[IMG][/IMG]

And with that being done I was able to tack up my hydro assist steering system.

[IMG][/IMG]

And I got this lil present in the mail today.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 35721
inch by inch

Worked on the brakes some more. Got the braided lines and the tabs welded on both the front and rear axles.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A picture of the rear brake line and running the braided line down the link to a "T" on the axle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And apparently I took a photo of my batteries all hooked up but my phone decided to delete em for some reason... And I'm not going back out there and crawling underneath it.

But here is my ground connector for them. Took a bolt and welded it to the frame.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 35721
It's ALIVE!!!!

Alright boys!!! Here she is! Up n running!! hopefully the link works.

Scout 350 finally running! - YouTube

So over the past few days I've done some things on the Scout.

Got all the brake lines ran and connected. Started making head way on my new shifter/console mount and of course got the beast up and running! SUPER STOKED!!

Here's a pic of the batteries hooked up and mounted under the Scout.

[IMG][/IMG]

Brake lines ran... not finalized.

[IMG][/IMG]

And pics of my center console. Where I cut the hole for the shifter ended up a little on the high side of the console. But at this point I'll run it and remake another one if I don't end up liking it when it's all said.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 10-01-2014 at 12:51 AM.
ih4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Greetings from Mantego Bay, Jamaica!!!

I've been taking things slow over the past week, mon

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Alright keeping you guys updated...

Just got this done today. Did some work on my center console. Then I'll have to cut a hole and mount my Klune-V within the console. Then mount my switch panel below the two shifters so they are easy to reach once I'm seated and belted in.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also got these seats a few weeks ago. They don't recline, but they do slide. I figured when I install the 5 point harness I'll have to have a bar behind the seats any way, not allowing easy acess to the rear seat.

[IMG][/IMG]

Went out to the local PNP anand grabbed a few relay packs out of some Ford vans. And Scout254 was nice enough to take em from me and modify them to work for the Scout.

This is what you get when Scout254 has a mountain dew and a bag of tostitos.

[IMG][/IMG]

In the process of dismantling.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And the final product.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Nice
Old 10-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Picked up the finished relay packs from Scout254. He was nice enough to number the wires to each corresponding relay to make it easy peasy for me. Here's the final product.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Was able to get my Klune-V shifter installed into my center console. Drilled some holes and used a piece of angle to mount it. Everything is finished other than installing my rocker switch panels.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And I finally got this done. It took damn near two weeks to solve all this out. Got my passenger side bumpstop more less installed. Tacked up the canister for my daystar bumpstops and fabricated the pad at the axle.

The biggest problem I had was figuring out where to mount it and how. First I mounted it outside the frame just on the inside of the coilover. But found out the bolt on the canister would hit the coils when the suspension dropped. So I relocated it to the inside of the frame. And integrated a nice little bump pad from my axle truss.

The bumpstops look like the gas filled ones, but instead have foam inserts. Of course the instructions didnt explain jack. First I had to do some research and find out how to set them up. Found out the inserts collapse about half their width.

I'll grab pics of the actual can mount soon. It will be trickier when it come to mounting it on the driver side, as the steering box is more less in the way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a pic of the bump can mount welded. Dnot mind the welds though, Im getting better.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 10-30-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 35721
keeping you updated...

Been sick with a pretty bad cold, but lately I sold my parts scout. It was tough saying bye as it was my first ever scout I owned and first one I drove. But she went to a good home.

The buyer was the son of a gentleman who helped design the first scouts!! He even had an original blueprint!

The money I got from the sale will go towards a project trailer to tow the revival scout.
[IMG][/IMG]

I ended up having to cut off my bump stop mount. I found out the hard way the bump stop pads collapsed more than planned. So to help those out who plan on buying daystar bump stops. If you put 2 blue pads and 1 black pad in the bumpstop. It will collapse to 1.75" of shaft showing. So plan accordingly.

Last edited by ih4ever; 11-13-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got my passenger side bump stop back up on the frame and rewelded.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also tacked up my passenger side bump stop to the frame and got my bump stop pad tacked to the axle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I'll just need to find out where to put my limiting strap tabs and the front suspension system will be done!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 35721
I went out and got myself an early Xmas gift yesterday.

2005 Carson trailer. 20'x8' 7k load capacity. Needs some fender work, ramps, a little bracing (to be on the safe side) some new running lights and a new coat of paint and it will be good to go. Got it at a steal of a price!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On other scout news, I braced up my bump stop pad on the axle a little more. And welded up my limiting strap mounts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 11-28-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 AM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Little by little...

Got the alternator wired up over the weekend. Next up are the fans and finising up the final engine wiring.

Installed the park/neutral safety switch on the winters shifter.

And installed my switch panels on my center console.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 35721
pics, pics, pics

Alright, so I have quite a few pics of what I've been tearing into with the Scout and other projects.

First I've been trying to get the trailer finished up. Wire brushed and painted. Which is 85% done. Just need to paint some spots on the tongue (around VIN and such) need to replace the lights that weren't working and build ramps. So I thought...

I cut off the old wheel wells for building drive over fenders. Well low n behold when I took them off it looked like someone used a torch to weld them to the frame. I also found what looked to be a small crack on top the the frame at the same place also. So I grinded a groove in the crack a welded it back up. I also filled in all the holes the "torch" made and plated the frame with 1/4" metal. So it's probably a lot stronger than what it was, that's for sure!

if you look closely you can see the plate just above the rear most spring hanger.

[IMG][/IMG]

And in doing that I took a look at the axle equalizer and found it to be horrible as well. The local trailer place in town wanted $115 for everything. Ebay has it all for $40. Problem is, is that I can't find the correct equalizer for the trailer.

Pic of the passenger side equalizer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last weekend my neighbor came over and helped me hook up the electrical to the main radiator fan and the tranny auxiliary fan.

Since day one of starting the Scout we couldn't get it to idle correctly. It would need a little bit of throttle to get it to start and once started it would idle really high. And then when we reved it up and let the throttle go, the engine would just die.

So we ran some codes and found the MAP sensor was faulty, or so we thought... put a new one on and same problem. Then we looked on good ol google and found the MAP sensor vacuum line needed to go to the rear port of the TBI and not the front like it was. Problem solved. Runs after throttle and we were able to fine tune the idle.

Let the Scout run until we made sure the fan worked, which it did. On at 180deg and pulled a lot of air through it. The tranny auxiliary fan never did turn on, put it was in park and only about 40 deg outside.

Got my center console in the scout. Held up by 4x4's for mockup and to see if its adjusted right.

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the linkage and tranny temp sending unit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Today I worked on getting everything under the hood in order. Worked on mocking up my OBA tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

Along with mounting my two relay packs where I would have easy access to them if need be.

I love bungee cords I guess.
[IMG][/IMG]

Turned the mockup on the relay packs to this...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 35721
more

I also stared working on the OBA aspect of the Scout.

Pic of my air manifold. From left to right: air pressure release valve, ARB presure switch, manifold plug, unregulated barbed fitting to run air hose to out side of scout for tires and tools, barbed fitting hose fitting coming from York, gauge, York pressure switch. On the bottom is the fitting going to air tank. Im planning on mounting this to the back side of the coilover tube work ant a 45deg angle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next I worked on radiator support brackets to keep it from wobbling back and forth. Took some aluminum pieces and bent and drilled them to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And final product...

[IMG][/IMG]

Next steps are to get a rear driveline, and finish bleeding the brakes. Then run all wires into the relays and into the cab. Then hopefully the trailer will be done and I can load up the Scout and take it to an exhaust shop!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 43110
Looking good, your getting close! Johnny at daves muffler in chico does awesome work. They will do whatever you want, and offer suggestions based on what they have done before as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer33x View Post
Looking good, your getting close! Johnny at daves muffler in chico does awesome work. They will do whatever you want, and offer suggestions based on what they have done before as well.
Thanks! I'm getting there!! Im hoping by mid spring.

Working in the line of work I do, you get to know tow truck drivers quite well. And it just so happens one of them has an exhaust shop also. He told me he'd hook me up for a good price. And Im going to see if his son (who builds cages for race cars) can whip up tubes for my seats, finish my cage and build be a rear tire carrier while I'm up on the lift One stop shop!!

Hoping to drop off my old driveline to Jesse tomorrow and get retubed by the end of the week.

Last edited by ih4ever; 01-07-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 35721
I finally found all the hardware for my trailer. Ended up sourcing it from a couple different places. But installed the new and much better looking equalizers and re packed all my bearings. I ended up having to cut off the trailers main crossmember. It was bent up pretty bad and made of channel. So I ordered some square .120 wall tubing and tacked it up in place to have my buddy come up and weld it for me. I'll post pics of it later.

But here is the new equalizer. I'd say it will work better than the old one did.
[IMG][/IMG]

Got my ARB line ran into the front 60.
[IMG][/IMG]

Had a friend come over and help me get my switche's wired up and in the scout.
[IMG][/IMG]

So laying up under the Scout Im not seeing too much room for an exhaust pipe so I'm trying to get as much stuff out of the way. One of those things is my speedo cable. So after some thought Ive decided to remove it. I figure I'm going to be crawling so why do I need to know how fast I'm going.

Next question was, is how do I keep the VSS for the computer working. Well I already had the adapter for the np 205 to my speedo cable. So I ended up just needin to cap and plug the VSS adapter. Ended up finding a plastic cap that fit and then used some silicone to seal it.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also mounted my OBA manifold to my coilover tube.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also welded in my OBA tank onto the front tube work. It will tuck up nicely under the fenders.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

that's it for now. Enjoy
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Where did you get that VSS for the 205?

FWIW I don't have a speedo either, I have a gps
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Where did you get that VSS for the 205?

FWIW I don't have a speedo either, I have a gps
I got the VSS from a place called "Jags that Run". It wasn't cheap by any means. But for the research I did at the time, it was all that I could find to solve the issue with the computer and the VSS with my 205.

Yea I know scouttanks has a gps also. I just have a hole in my dash cluster that I was going to use for my speedo, but now I gues Ill use it for a tach. But a tach with an auto is kinda pointless, but its better than an unfinished dash.

Pic of the welded in cross memeber on the trailer.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And a pic of the new dash. Just need to remove the plastic cover on the aluminum. Dummy didn't think about it before putting the gauges in...
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 01-26-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Got this shiny new thing installed a couple days ago!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hooked up my VSS with a single pin wire connector. And also got the OBA finalized with another single pinn connector.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tacked up some zip tie holders for my brake lines, ARB and diff vents.

[IMG][/IMG]

And had a friend stop by earlier in the week and help me get my gauge wiring done.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nothing really huge getting done but Im crossing things off my list, which can only be a good thing!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Installed my fuse block up under the glove box and above the heater motor. Connected all the relay packs to the fuses (yellow wires) Works for function, accessibility, and to keep it out of the way of water.

[IMG][/IMG]

Took out my roll cage wired brushed it, painted and reinstalled it. Tacked it up all in place, just have to build the rear seat protection now.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bought some small LED rock lights a while ago and just got them installed. I still have to wire them up and hook them to the rocker switch. All the reviews on Pirate say they are pretty bright. Well see what happens when it gets dark out.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 35721
FINALLY!!!

I FINALLY for the first time in FIVE years, I turned the key in the scout and started it!!! Probably gotta be one of the best feelings EVER!

https://youtu.be/HlB7pvvu0IU

Had a friend whos been helping me with the wiring on the Scout come over on Sunday and busted his ass to get it to this point.

Heres a pic of the dash with the gauges and indicator lights. Everything is done minus wiring the indicator lights and a tach.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pic of the ingition switch all rewired with all new NOT GREEN wires.

[IMG][/IMG]

Went down to a local PNP and grabbed a used driveline out of a newer style ford superduty and a CV flange to fit my 32 spline front output on my np205. Great little OEM part. Has 1350 ujoints all the way around and the flange fits np205s with 32 splines.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is all painted up and shiny back from the driveline shop. Had the shop resurface the flange, machine the shaft of it to fit the seal in my np205 and rebuild all the ujoints and added a 1410 slip for the pinion.

[IMG][/IMG]

Test fit the flange and it didnt quite have the clearance I felt comfortable with, with my twin stick shifter linkage. So had to modify the shift rod connector linkage a little to clear it.

Pretty much this...
[IMG][/IMG]

To this... Not much but enough to lift up the bolt to clear the flange.
[IMG][/IMG]

Installed minus the bolts.

[IMG][/IMG]

I ended up dropping the front suspension to full drop and attempted to rotate the driveline. Well found out it wouldnt rotate all the way around. Put an angle finder on it and its showed 20deg plus 6deg for the tcase and it was binding at 26deg. Took it back to the driveling shop and had them take down some of the ears and plate of the CV joint. The guy said he got it first and confirmed it would only go to 26deg and once he was done he got it to go to 30deg. So Ill reinstall it later and hope it works. If not, theres not much I can do before I start spending the big bucks on more angle CV joints.

Last edited by ih4ever; 03-11-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #149 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
The video is set to private
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 35721
More...

Installed the battery selector switch in its final location. Not the best with the water possibility, but I cut a notch in the bottom of it to let water drain through. Put some silicon around the bolts and should be good. Also being mounted where it was, put less strain on the battery cables than any where else.

[IMG][/IMG]

New brake light switch for the TCC lockup option. Front two prongs are for the standard brake light. The rear two are for the torque converter lockup to disengage when the brake is applied.

[IMG][/IMG]

Put in another fuse pack for just the ingition system. So its only hot when the ignition is turned on. Its on the left side of the firewall area. Just above the vent thats by the e-brake systems on Scouts.

[IMG][/IMG]

And of course, afer all this progress and being able to start the scout with a key, calls for a celebration!!

What a great pair they make!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 03-11-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.