ih4ever's Revival - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #176 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4ever View Post
I also installed a HF special ATV winch on the rear portion of my roll cage to assist with lifting the spare tire up and down. What a great investment! I tried lifting it once and my back was tweaked for a week. Now I just push a button and watch

Here are some pics of my rider and the fun we had!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Good to see the Scout out in it's natural habitat
I was wondering how you planned on lifting that spare...good on the winch.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 35721
A little update.

Been going with slow progress lately. The wife and I have been getting things ready for a new addition to the Scout family. He's due within the next week

But I have installed the winch. Here's a pic of the wife driving it down the driveway.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a pic of the tire carrier winch mounted to the rear portion of the roll cage. A small piece of channel cut and drilled to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted my highlift onto my tire carrier. Couple bolts welded to some 1/4" plate.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Made pins for my tire carrier swing out arms. Took some 9/16" bar stock and cut it to length. Then some 7/16" bar stock and made a T with them. Welded a thick washer to have the T stand up higher. Then drilled a hole for the retaining pin.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also tried to baffle my PS reservoir a little with an oil filter cartridge.
[IMG][/IMG]

But ultimately it created more foam and bubbles in the reservoir and made the pump whine. So my next idea is to drill a hole in the lid then place a threaded aluminum spacer inside the reservoir, with some home made baffle disks bolted to the spacer that will be set inside the reservoir, attached to the lid. Well see...

Still have a leaky tranny pan. I figured because it was chromed it isn't allowing the seal to properly work. So I think I'm going to order a new steel pan and gasket and hopefully that does the trick.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Been awhile since I've last posted, but I had a good excuse! I'm now a very proud daddy!

Say hello to the newest future Scout owner!

[IMG][/IMG]

So in between taking care of mama and baby I've been able to do a few things to the scout.

Took some sheet metal and made a couple jerry can holders out of it. Heres a pic of the cuts and the final bends.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here they are mounted mounted to the two swing out arms of the tire carrier. Took a couple peices of 1 inch tube and welded it underneath for some support.

[IMG][/IMG]

Welded some rod for a swing stop.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cut out a small portion of my tire carrier skid plate. Couldnt get a trailer hitch in with in being straight across.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the tire carrier all painted and with the two jerry cans installed. Also installed two rear lights below the jerry can holders. They should work good enough to see behind me while wheeling and second as a camp light/flood light when the arms swing out with them on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is all opened up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ih4ever; 10-04-2015 at 03:27 PM.
ih4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 175512
That rear bumper is pretty slick! Like the rest of the rig too, good work!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 35721
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

The Scouts maiden four wheelin trip!!!

Took it up to the snow for some fun!!

A buddy and I met up with Scouttanks up at his cabin and went from there.

I had some early issues of the tranny and engine running warm while just cruising up the hill. So I'll definitely install a fan shroud and I will run my tranny cooler separately from the radiator, as the tranny heat stayed consistent with the engine heat. So when the engine was hot it was too. Well see if that helps keep both systems cool.

Other than that, here she is!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunately no one took pics of this portion. I think my buddy took a video, but I haven't gotten it yet. What isn't seen before this pic is the pucker factor in the ditch just to get to this point. It wasn't fun, but I said screw it I'm here to have fun and see what the Scout could do, and went for it!

The snow and the embankment was about 6-8" away from my drivers window. It was nuts. Anyway... I made it through and scraped up some paint in the process with just pushing snow out of the way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I went and got myself stuck... shovel and winching, I made it out and we ultimately turned around after this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hopefully I'll be able to get some vids and more pics up here.

Got the video downloaded. Let's see if it works!

https://youtu.be/EuRIRnGooYg

Last edited by ih4ever; 03-22-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Recent wheelin trip

Took the Scout out wheelin again. I installed the new fan shroud in hopes it would help keep the engine cool. But no luck... so well do some low cost tweaks to so if it cures it. If not then off to purchase a bigger radiator.

Pics of some flex. If was tough going. Had to do some fancy winching to pull us out of some narly slopes and ditches. But it was worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Been busy with life, but the recent weekend update made me think about posting up what little Ive done since my last post.

So here it is.

In an attempt to track down my over heating problem I ran several tests and came to the conclusion using a pressure test on the radiator cap that I had a blown head gasket. So a complete engine compartment tear down was in order.

Got the heads looked at and surfaced. The shop said they weren't warped or cracked.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then came the pain staking process of piecing it all back together 2 hours a day when the kid was napping. Its amazing how much work doesnt get finished in 2 hours...

Installed a new PS cooler. Not that my steering fluid was getting hot but it took the fin and tube style cooler out of the front of the radiator. Just in case that was working against the heating issue.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So now I have about half of my radiator being directly in front of free air flow. Next step is to start it up and pray...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Have you had a PBR go flat yet? Just wondering as you are carrying a spare.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 46467
I bought one on these last year
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cyli.../dp/B0030EVL60

It allows you to add pressure to each cylinder. So if I add 90 psi to a cylinder and bubbles show up in the radiator, then I know I have issues.

I removed everything from in front of my radiator and that helped.

IHPartsAmerica sell RMI-25. sounds like snake oil, but the stuff works.

RMI-25 Coolant Treatment - IH Parts America
Old 01-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Have you had a PBR go flat yet? Just wondering as you are carrying a spare.
I dont know. I havnt wheeled it enough to need it! When I purchased the tires on Pirate, the guy was selling 5 for the price of 4. I couldn't pass it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
I bought one on these last year
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5609-Cyli.../dp/B0030EVL60

It allows you to add pressure to each cylinder. So if I add 90 psi to a cylinder and bubbles show up in the radiator, then I know I have issues.

I removed everything from in front of my radiator and that helped.

IHPartsAmerica sell RMI-25. sounds like snake oil, but the stuff works.

RMI-25 Coolant Treatment - IH Parts America
Yea I looked at options similar to that. I have a lot of diagnostic tools available to me through work. But the 40 min drive hinders me a little on my weekends when I could go rent it from a local store. I ended up using a pressure tester for the radiator and revved up the engine while it was connected. Every time I gave it throttle the needle bounced up with the added pressure. So somewhere I had a leaky head gasket.

On another note. While attaching my TV Cable to my tranny, I fucking stripped out the bolt threads on the transmission housing I was soo pissed. Shit went flying in my garage.

Now I have to fawking drop my tcase and tranny to just drill out one hole to put a heli coil in it. So Ill be down a whole additional month at least.

Last edited by ih4ever; 05-12-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:20 AM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 35721
I'm fed up with my over heating issues so I gave up on chasing that gremlin for now, and I decided to tackle my newest upgrade....

Full Hydro Steering!

Drilled the new high steer arms and got my truss mocked up and going.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ran out mock arms with PVC pipe.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ended up rolling up the truss a little further to get the arms up a little higher on the double sheer bolt.

Got all the truss support gussets welded in place.
[IMG][/IMG]

Installed and painted.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next cut the arms to length based on desired toe in and installed.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next relocated my PS reservoir, closer to the PS pump.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Then installed an inline hydraulic filter and ran the orbital lines to the ram.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I had to stop once I was bleeding the system because I ran out of PS fluid to add... But I did get the wheels to turn in the right direction when the pressure built up enough. So I know I have the lines ran correctly

A big thanks goes out to jemarshall and Scouttanks for their help and knowledge!

Last edited by ih4ever; 05-12-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #187 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall

I think you will really like how much better it will be.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post

I think you will really like how much better it will be.
I gotta drive it to enjoy it. Haha. still gotta figure out my over heating issues. And now I'm chasing why my fans won't turn on anymore...

If it's not one thing it's another

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.