71 800B-PS, Disc Brakes? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2001, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
Send a message via AIM to mlogan24 Send a message via Yahoo to mlogan24
71 800B-PS, Disc Brakes?

Hi, I have a 71 800B (it has a 345 and a TF727) and I was wondering about doing a few mods on it. I'm mainly concerned with putting on disc brakes and power steering. I've read that since it is a Dana 30, that you need the Chevy Blazer backing plates, you old spindles, and Scout II hub/rotors and master cylinder. I was wondering why you don't use the chevy spindles. I ask that because I put discs on my early Bronco's D30 and it was the same except it used the chevy backing plates and spindles. ANother thing was the backing plates I could use were only from 72 to 77 (?), but the Scout FAQ said up to the eighties.

Has anyone done a PS writeup on a this model either?

Thanks all,
Micah
<><
mlogan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3563
Well I won't go into too much detail but it's a pretty esay deal. I guess it all depends on what you use the truck for. IMHO I say dump the stock axle and swap in a Wagoneer dana 44 or a full width axle. The damn things fall right into place and have discs and open knuckle steering. As for Power steering an IH truck Power steering pump will bolt on to your 345 without having to cut the inner fenders. My friend used a 2wd Chevy box on his 800B on full widths and has pinky steering but I'm planning on using a Scout 2 box on mine. You could also use a wagonner or any other type of box depending on what you're after.
Travis
Old 11-07-2001, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
Thanks, I had heard a lot of guys saying they had wagoneer axles-what years are the ones to get? I agree, Dana 30's are I'm only familiar with the ford D44 applications.

Your friends setup-did he mount the chevy box on the inside of the framerail or the outisde? The manual box that is on the scout now is mounted on the outside. What year Chevy did his come from (not familiar with those either)? I am familiar with the Scout II boxes-but they always seem to be too expensive and hard to find in the Central Valley. Maybe, if I find a Wagoneer, it will have a box I can use too. Oh, by the way, did your friend have to change the pitman arm? Actually, better yet, do you have your friend 's e-mail handy?

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5378
I swapped SII D44s under my 64 Scout, swapped in a SII proportioning valve, and am currently mounting a SII PS box on the outside of framerail using an old travelall PS pump.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3563
My buddy Meat is non cumpooter literate. I usually help him out with everything he does though so I can help you. I should warn you up front that we are poor white trash and a lot of our mods are based upon what parts we can get for cheap or free. We have 3 Scout betweens us two have full widths and 1 has a Wagoneer front axle. One nice thing about the wagoneer swap is that if you decide to go fullwidth later it's not a huge fiasco. Meat has the '71 800B with fullwidth 44s and 36" swampers. He runs a steering box off a 2wd 73-87ish Chevy pickup we found burned and rolled. It mounts outside the frame and I don't think it would clear with Wagoneer width axles, his swampers just barely miss it now. I'm collecting parts to swap a Scout 2 P/S box onto both my Scouts. It looks to be a pretty easy swap except you have to torch some crap off the frame. The Wagoneer box is a good strong box and uses the pitman you'd want for any of the other boxes but it mounts on the inside of the frame. On a V8 Scout theres room to mount the box but you'll have to check to make sure there room for a steering shaft. As for a wagoneer axle you'll want to get one from a 74-76 if you can find one. 77-80 will work too but the earlier ones have flat top knuckles and small bearing spindles which you'll need if you want to convert it over to 5 lug. I keepmeaning to get some pictures of my junk they'll probably help you a bit.
Travis
Old 11-07-2001, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
White trash-thats cool. I live in a duplex flanked by a Scout,a 60 F-100, and a early Bronco. Two of which get marked sometimes, even though they're daily drivers (I gotta get some body work done) . The Scout is actually my parents, I'm just trying to make it more road worthy. On the Chevy box, which pitman arm did he use? Did he just drill new mounting holes, or did he have to do any frame cutting/welding? I don't think my dad is ready to do the wagoneer axles yet, but hey some day I get the Scout.

Dana 60's here I come!
Old 11-10-2001, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3563
On the box I think he used a Ford Bronco pitman arm which is just like a Wagoneer.,It was whatever was laying around the shop when he started grabbing parts. As for the mount he cobbled it together and the frame is starting to collapse. You need to ATLEAST plate the outside of the frame and run sleeves through the frame.
Travis
Old 11-12-2001, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4178
Thanks for the info, now I have a better idea of my options.