All-Purpose Scout 80 Build - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #251 (permalink)

Member # 154721
Sub'd. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 137726
WAY overdue update.

I am working on it, I swear, everything just takes so much longer these days.

Closed up the holes in the firewall where I had to make clearance for the headers, and got the transfer case shifters mounted and the hole cut in the trans tunnel cover. I have to say I really being able to remove the whole top of the trans tunnel, good design for serviceability on these trucks.

Driver side mocked up

Passenger side welded in

Built a tube bender using arms bought from SpeedMonkey here on Pirate, takes Pro-Tools 105 dies. It works really nicely, Air/Hydro is pretty nice to have when working by yourself in a small shop, and I like not having to have it bolted down taking up floor space.

Used the new bender to make a hoop to support the radiator, so that it isn't tied to the inner fenders. Ideally I'd like to be able to drive the truck without any bodywork on the front. You know, for those mad max reenactments.

I am using a Griffin 8-00009-LS radiator (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-8-00009-ls) meant for a LS swap in a Chevelle. Brennan (Mieser) gets credit for the find - its about the same size as the popular 26x19 universal rad, except it comes with mounting flanges on the sides welded on and has a 2 year warranty rather than the 30 day warranty the universal 'racing' radiators have. Oh, and its $100 cheaper.

Of course to fit where I want it, I promptly voided the warranty by lopping off a corner to make some more clearance to the steering box. But all in all it fits well and I think will give me plenty of cooling capacity.

Made brackets that bolt to the radiator bracket to pick up the bushings I'm using to isolate the radiator.

Bottom of the radiator hoop mounts to the frame using a pinch bolt arrangement

Hoop in place

Lower tabs mocked up - you can see my mockup bracket I built to hang the radiator in space while I was building mounts, this was pretty handy

Finally upper tabs in place, and the radiator bolted in the car for the first time. The long brackets will get some gusseting to help with the weight of the radiator full of coolant.

I will tie the inner fenders into the frame using some bushings, and will also probably have a crossbar at the top that ties into the radiator hoop (with bushings) so that the nose of the body is well supported. I cut out the stock front body mount (part of the core support that tied the bottoms of the inner fenders together) to make room for the crank pulleys, which led me to extra work to make sure everything is supported.

Next steps are to finish up the suspension (bump stop mounts, lower coilover mounts) and start working on cleaning up and finish welding as much as I can for the engine compartment. It'll get the same sound deadening treatment as the underside of the body, as well as some additional heat insulation.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #253 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Glad to see some progress
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Got the radiator mounts fabbed and tacked in, including gussets for the longer tabs.

The bottom on the drivers side is TIGHT - downside to using an inside-the-frame steering box I guess.

I confirmed that the corner I'd cut off the radiator previously gives me enough clearance to the steering box, so I brought it in to work and had our welder tig weld in the patch panel. He does nice work, wish I could claim this as mine.

On to the bump stops.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #255 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Nice work on the radiator.

I actually sunk mine into the frame a bit, (Griffin 27.5x19x3) that tucks in just behind/beside the GM PS box. My steering box tucks in just under the grille/nose.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/9880768-post91.html

Name:  P5230018.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  P5270026.JPG
Views: 955
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  P5270023.JPG
Views: 942
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 06-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Yeah I like how you did those mounts. I've already notched the frame for coilover clearance, so I didn't want to take out more than I had to. I THOUGHT I could fit this one without modification but it turned out that notch in the corner to clear the steering box helped enough to be worth it. Nothing like cutting up a brand new part

I recently went to the Sonoran Desert Scouts Rendezvous, talked to a guy there with a 5.3 swapped into a scout 800, with a stock sized aluminum radiator keeping it cool. He said he hasn't had issues with cooling in Phoenix,so this gives me some confidence this radiator will be enough since its a good foot wider than stock.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #257 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Oh yeah, nice bender, too

Old 06-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #258 (permalink)

Member # 49185
Send a message via AIM to dzntzhellfire Send a message via Yahoo to dzntzhellfire
Looking good.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #259 (permalink)

Member # 53933
Thumbs up Looking Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
WAY overdue update.

I am working on it, I swear, everything just takes so much longer these days
This is why I have never done a thread. You are doing fine Dave. My pace is absolutely GLACIAL!
REVROK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #260 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
Nice build! How much up travel did you end up with in front from ride height?

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrattle View Post
Nice build! How much up travel did you end up with in front from ride height?
5" up, 7" down. Would have liked it at 6/6 but I didn't want the extra ride height. My uptravel limit is the panhard/drag link running into the frame (well there will be a bump stop to prevent that).
Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #262 (permalink)

Member # 137726
One final piece to the radiator mount - I made up a cross brace to tie the tops of the inner fenders together and to the radiator hoop.

The bar has some turned bungs welded in that let a socket head cap screw sit flush, and a rubber bushing to provide some compliance to the hard mounted radiator hoop.

The bottoms of the inner fenders sit on some small tabs, also with a bushing.

And finally on to bump stops!

As I have a huge interest in suspension design and tuning, I wanted to start out with a good ruybber bump stop but leave the option open to run a hydraulic bump stop later on. I made up some patent pending FakeBumps(TM) that hold a GM rubber bump stop. Always fun to put the old LeBlond to use.

Pulled the springs in the front, and all but the main leaf in the rear so the truck is at full bump, if I were Mieser this would no doubt be my target ride height

Rear bump stop mount, I used mounting cans from Poly Performance and am impressed by the quality and price.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Got to put my new SWAG press brake to use making landing pads on the axle

The front was really tough to package, and may still need some clearancing once I have it all together and can really flex the truck. The Passenger side landing pad sits on top of the panhard bar bracket

The drivers side has a corresponding riser so that the bump stops hit at the same height

The Bosch fuel pump i'd been using earlier when I fired it up apparently siezed up from sitting for 6 months - sucks, but I kind of had second thoughts to using the stock tanks and an external fuel pump anyways. I ended up buying a tank for a CJ, adapting a walbro fuel pump to the fuel pump/sender unit, and making up mounts to hang it behind the axle. Its a really tight squeeze and I may need to massage the skid plate some to prevent axle housing contact at full bump.

It looks like it hangs down low but its above the axle at full bump. I think I may end up making a custom tank down the road, but this will work and get me driving at least.

Didnt get any decent shots of the tank mounts, I welded on a piece of angle iron between the frame rails for the front, and added rivnuts through the rear crossmember at the back. I made spacers to take up the gap.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #264 (permalink)

Member # 111984
Great job!

Great job, and nice car.
rija77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #265 (permalink)

Member # 18412
Send a message via AIM to bike guy Send a message via Yahoo to bike guy
great work and way to hang in there MotoDave!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 502601
Awesome work. Your attention to detail is fantastic. I'm getting great inspiration from this project. Keep it up.
1OLD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Awesome work man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.