All-Purpose Scout 80 Build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Sweet, from the look of the pics, the 52" springs may be a good option as well. However I'll keep my eyes out for some 56" springs..

thanks again

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 170514
52-56 inch Chevy springs are the same from front to center pin! 56s are 4 inches longer after the pin.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
52-56 inch Chevy springs are the same from front to center pin! 56s are 4 inches longer after the pin.
Thanks for the input!

Sorry everyone for the lack of updates, I got into a project for the house, and working out of a 2 car garage I have to pick either metal or wood projects to work on at one time. Hope to have time and space back to work on the Scout around the end of the month.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 137726
And we're back ...

So picky me wasn't happy with the panhard bracket that I bought, so I made my own.

Made the frame side brackets too, and got everything tacked in place.

The panhard bar is the same length and angle as the drag link, in fact from the front you can't see the panhard at ride height. Engineer Dave is happy now.

Everything is playing nice when cycling the suspension, but its definitely tight. I have some backup plans in case things move in ways I don't expect and I get contact.

I started working on the coilover mounting. I am trying to avoid or minimize having to notch the shock mount into the frame, so I am going to push the bottom mount as far outboard as possible. Due to the panhard mount on the axle, the coilover needs to mount basically on top of and slightly behind the C's. I am thinking a bracket that is welded to the C for one side of the shock, and another that keys off of the lower link mount. Will play with some cardboard templates this week.

Got a bunch of other small things done, like making the spacers for the coilovers, working on the back shell for the gas caps, etc. Been putting my new (to me) lathe to work.

Every once in a while its good to take a step back and look at the truck as a whole, I am still happy with the direction its going.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #80 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
nice work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
This build is so right and tight!

Any more progress?

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 42265
Very nice work out of a modest garage/storage room/machineshop.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Thanks guys, no progress lately since I've been in the UK for the last week and a half. Anxious to get back on it.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 137726
I suck at doing this quickly. I feel like I overthink too much and it holds me up from just getting to work and building shit. Who cares if I have to rebuilt it later. Metal is (pretty) cheap.

First shot at a shock tower - cardboard layout

After a bit of work with the bandsaw and belt grinder

First test fit on the frame. As you can see the inner fender needs to get cut out to let the shock tower sit on top of the frame.

I'm planning to build the lower shock mount as far out on the axle as I can, most likely I'll do something off of the inner C. I'll tack the shock towers on the frame as is, mount the shocks and try articulating the axle as much as I can. I am expecting that the coils will make contact with the frame when one side is drooped out, so I will notch out the frame in that area and move the upper shock mounts back. This is definitely one area where trying to run narrow axles is turning out to be a real pain in the ass.

One other minor update, I finally got the other 2 steering box sleeves welded through the frame. I will plate in the top and bottom sleeves to give them some extra reinforcement.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
looks good, glad to see some more progress.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 08-18-2014 at 08:54 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 51801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
I suck at doing this quickly. I feel like I overthink too much and it holds me up from just getting to work and building shit. Who cares if I have to rebuilt it later. Metal is (pretty) cheap.
Dont worry,quicker than alot of others.
Looks great!!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 137726
I should have more of an update later in the week after I sort out some more details, but here's a sneak peek:

Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #88 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
is the coil going to clear when the axle swings at full droop? Looks tight.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
is the coil going to clear when the axle swings at full droop? Looks tight.
Yep, I'd have major interference with a coil in place.

Right now the shock mount is just tacked to the face of the frame. It is designed to be recessed into the frame ~1/2", and I will probably need to notch out an extra ~1/2" to make room for the coil. The passenger side is worse, since the axle swings towards drivers side during droop, so that's what the clearance will be figured based on. I just didn't take a picture when I had that side drooped.

Now that the steering and shock mounts are in place I'll drop that data into my CAD model and figure out exactly how much I need to make clearance. I'll actually have the next 2 weekends to work on it, so I am hoping to have a rolling truck again soon!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Am I allowed to ask dumb questions in my own thread? Or does that get me boo'ed out of here too?

What radiators are people running in 80's with V8 swaps or in 800's that came with V8's? I had hoped the radiator that came out of the Chevy truck I pulled the engine from would work, but its a little too wide to fit between the inner fenders (not a big deal) and too tall to fit on top of the frame rails under the hood (more of a big deal).

I'd love to find an OEM solution from something like a chevy van that might work, rather than spending the money for a custom job. Its going to sit in front of the core support, not decided yet if I'll use the mechanical fan or go electric.

To make up for my dumb question here's some real CAD work, not Cardboard Aided Design for once.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #91 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
I found a radiator the fits in the space out of an Astro van. It is for a 4.3 but should do the job. Here is a link to the build thread where I am using it. Main thing to pay attention to is you want the one that was in the vans equipped with oil coolers if you are looking through junk yards, they are a little bigger and the tanks are a different size.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/inter...l#post26725330

Pic of the tag off of the top of the radiator.

Link that I found on internet showing applications from the part number.

60963A,NISSENS 60963A Radiator for CHEVROLET
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
one from an explorer with a V8 would fit too. Just depends on where you want the inlet/outlet.

I ended up using a 2 core griffin from summit for under 200 bucks. It cools really well, and you can pretty much pic your dimensions. Mine fits right next to the gear box which is on the inside of my frame rail. pics in my buildy thread.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Right on, just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks guys.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 105936
Quote:
Am I allowed to ask dumb questions in my own thread? Or does that get me boo'ed out of here too?

What radiators are people running in 80's with V8 swaps or in 800's that came with V8's? I had hoped the radiator that came out of the Chevy truck I pulled the engine from would work, but its a little too wide to fit between the inner fenders (not a big deal) and too tall to fit on top of the frame rails under the hood (more of a big deal).

I'd love to find an OEM solution from something like a chevy van that might work, rather than spending the money for a custom job. Its going to sit in front of the core support, not decided yet if I'll use the mechanical fan or go electric.

To make up for my dumb question here's some real CAD work, not Cardboard Aided Design for once.
In my 5.3 swap in my '65 80 I used a Griffin Double Pass Aluminum Radiator 19" X 26" 128222X. This put the outlets on the passenger side where I want them. I had to widen the bulkhead opening a few inches on the passenger side to allow for full flow to the face of the radiator. I just cut it vertically, removed the width I needed, and welded it back up. I also had to get rid of the stock plate that tied the top of the bulkheads together and built one that rides over the top of the radiator. This radiator also tapers in on the bottom corners which allowed the room I needed for the steering box and shaft.

On your axles, whatís your WMS to WMS measurement? Iím at 62 inches and had to notch the frame for the coils as well. I only have one side notched and tacked together right now and Iím second guessing my approach.
OC IH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #95 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
could you gain an inch or two of clearance by moving the lower CO mount outboard over the ball joint on top of the C?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 137726
My front axle is a Chevy Blazer Dana 44 narrowed to Scout II width so that stock size axle shafts can be used. Per the book its 60.5" WMS to WMS, but I haven't actually measured it myself. I am running Chevy spindles and Ford hub/rotor, I think that may push the wheel mounting surface out but it doesn't affect the axle tube length.

On a frame with a 3 link front suspension the only major loads on the front of the frame are from the steering box, winch and bumper/recovery points, unlike a leaf spring setup where the leaf will put a load all the way out at the front. I'm OK with the idea of notching the frame to clear the coilover, but I am planning to reinforce the back side to gain back some cross section. The shock towers (or hoops) will get tied together over the engine and probably back to the cage, so there will be additional support to take the load from the coilovers in my case. I also need to build a new crossmember to tie the frame rails together, or build by bumper beefy enough to act as such.

From real life and backed up by the CAD model it looks like a 1" deep notch will give me a good bit of clearance around the coil for things to move around.

Got a build thread anywhere? I looked around and found your threads from a few years back about the frame notch, but would like to see more on how you're doing the 3 link.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
could you gain an inch or two of clearance by moving the lower CO mount outboard over the ball joint on top of the C?
Exactly what I am planning to do, I'll just do it in Solidworks first rather than moving metal
Old 09-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 105936
Quote:
Got a build thread anywhere? I looked around and found your threads from a few years back about the frame notch, but would like to see more on how you're doing the 3 link.
I donít have a build thread. That would take organization and a reliable way to post pictures.

My three link is not fancy. Lowers are mounted below the frame almost straight forward to just below the centerline of the axle. The upper mounts to the inside of the driver side of the frame to a single tower on the axle that leans back to clear the panhard at full compression. The panhard mounts to a drop bracket on the inside of the frame and Iím using a Grand Cherokee steering box on the inside of the frame also. Both mount to high steer arms and are within Ĺ inch of each other in length. Iím using a ĺ ton Chevy Dana 44 housing which from the knuckles in should be the same as yours.

I have 14 inch coilovers because I thought they would fit but it was way too tall. I dropped the lower mount off the top of the inner C to behind the axle and they fit there but Iím not sure if Iíll leave it. Itís all on hold right now waiting for me to have the time to get back at it. Let me know if there is something particular you want to see. I donít want to hijack your thread any further.
OC IH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm slow enough we need some hijacking to keep the thread alive

Finished up the Solidworks model tonight, and it all pretty much looks the best with the shock tower where it is now on the face of the frame. Pushing the shock towers inward just means I have to notch more frame, and putting the lower shock mount on top of the knuckle doesn't eliminate the need to notch completely, means I have to build new taller shock towers, and may make clearance between the tire and the coil spring really tight.

I threw some coils on the shocks and its still looking pretty good. There is enough room around the bottom of the shock that I won't get into the knuckle when it articulates.

Lots of tire to shock clearance at ride height

The front edge of the fender is definitely going to need trimming, the back is OK since I pushed the front axle forward

And it even looks fine all the way stuffed

So, I'll finish up the second shock tower, notch and plate in the frame, and it should be really damn close to being a roller by the end of the week!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #100 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC IH View Post
In my 5.3 swap in my '65 80 I used a Griffin Double Pass Aluminum Radiator 19" X 26" 128222X. This radiator also tapers in on the bottom corners which allowed the room I needed for the steering box and shaft.
Another vote for a Griffin. Mine is the Griffin Pro with 2x 1.25 tubes/cores (standard is 1" tubes), it's 3" thick 27.5" x 19", I notched the frame a bit on the passenger side to sink the rad down a bit. Angled bottom tank to help clear the steering box and fit the largest radiator I could. Although diesels run cooler...I was l worried about having enough radiator to cool it. I've had no problems, it's never gone over ~195-200. Usually runs at 185.

Name:  P5270026.JPG
Views: 1305
Size:  41.9 KB
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.