All-Purpose Scout 80 Build - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #101 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow

Just being a picky douche here...BUT...please trim the fender up to the edge of the flat. Don't just trim the front...

By trimming off the entire flat it from front to back it allows you to then cleanly trim up the front later.

It will look soooo much nicer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Haha - is it possible to be a picky douche about crappy old scout parts?

I'm going to do something like this:

I'm hoping a heat gun will persuade the fender flare to wrap around onto the grille and make an OK looking transition.

MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Success! As of Saturday its finally back to being a roller!

Felt like it took me forever, but I got the second shock tower fab'ed and welded up, then took a deep breath and did this:

Tacked the shock towers back on and checked clearances once again. At full droop on the passenger side and full stuff on the drivers I've still got a very technical 'finger width' of clearance between the notched area and the coil, which I'm happy with. Picture makes it look like the back of the shock is closer to the shock tower than it really is, this is with the axle beyond full droop, basically hanging off the shocks.

Got some springs put on the coilovers and everything bolted up, and got to set the scout on all 4 tires for the first time in about 2 years:

In my moment of triumph I thought i'd at least roll the truck around a little, but no joy, the back tire was bound up against the back edge of the fender, so I made the cut along the lines I'd laid out to match up with the EB flares.

So that's where it sits now. Feels like its taken an awful long time to get to this point, but I am overall pretty happy with how the end product has matched up with the design I came up with in SolidWorks.

I tinkered around a bit more, got most of the TBI bits off my storage shelf and onto the motor. I was concerned the big old OEM brackets for the AC and alternator/PS pump wouldn't play nice with the inner fenders or what's left of the core support, but it looks alright. I did remove the duct that was through the hole on the passenger side to make room for the AC compressor.

I think I'll still cut out most of the existing structure and build out a new bolt on support for a radiator once I sort out which one I'm going with.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 9316
All-Purpose Scout 80 Build

Looks good
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 137726
So this happened ...

I told myself its so that I could finally get the LeBlond lathe into place along the wall:

But I also just wanted an excuse to see it outside in the sun now that its a roller!

Still sitting high in the front, I'm going to wait till I have more of the heavy bits in place, then figure out my corner weights and get the right springs ordered.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 60364
Yeah Dave, super sweet build!! I'll have to come check it out in person one of these days! A friend with awesome tools...is a friend indeed.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #107 (permalink)
JF

Member # 133890
Sub'd for well thought out design and execution.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #108 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Sub'd

I'd rather watch a rig built in a two stall garage with some well thought out ideas than a credit card build ANYDAY!

Carry on.
'r than gcc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Been watching this one for a while. Glad to see its a roller now.
IF you would have built this with 56" front leaves, would you leave the shackles in the front or move them to the rear?

In the early 70's a friends Dad had a turquoise and white Scout like yours with a Ford 289/T10/D18 with a Bronco 9" rear axle that had a Detroit Locker. It was a nice little truck.
8" wide steel wheels with Armstrong Tru-Tracs. That Scout was pretty much unstoppable.

Last edited by just4cuz; 11-01-2014 at 11:17 PM.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
Been watching this one for a while. Glad to see its a roller now.
IF you would have built this with 56" front leaves, would you leave the shackles in the front or move them to the rear?
Never gave it much thought since I'd planned to do the 3 link front end, but I guess I'd do a shackle reverse and build some spring hangers at the front. I haven't really seen any hangers done on scout 80s that didn't look like they'd catch on everything you drive past.

I've been dealing with the rear shock mounting, think I've got it figured out now. Will post some pictures up when I get to my computer in the morning.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 288050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
Never gave it much thought since I'd planned to do the 3 link front end, but I guess I'd do a shackle reverse and build some spring hangers at the front. I haven't really seen any hangers done on scout 80s that didn't look like they'd catch on everything you drive past.

I've been dealing with the rear shock mounting, think I've got it figured out now. Will post some pictures up when I get to my computer in the morning.
I was starting to get the shakes from no updates in awhile.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
I was starting to get the shakes from no updates in awhile.
Well its nothing terribly exciting.

The rear axle is slightly narrower than the front, so I am running into similar shock mounting issues as I had with the front coilovers. I'd like to package the rear shocks outside of the frame in the wheel well, otherwise I'm severely length limited since I am not going to poke the shocks through the floor.

I spent some time pulling the leaf pack apart so that I can flex things out with just the main leaf in place, to see where the top of the tire really ends up at full stuff.

Wheel well clearance looks OK, I may need to cut a bit more to fit at full bump.

The idea is to try to run the shock behind the axle to see if I can avoid the top of the tire as it moves in under articulation. I should also get rid of what's left of the stock body mount - it looks like it would do some work to the sidewall of a tire

Mocked up shock mount, I'll tack all this in place and cycle again to see how it looks.

Backup plan is to run a 10" travel short body Bilstein 7100 shock under the floor. It'll have to be laid back at roughly a 30 angle, which is more than I would like, but is something I can work around if it comes to it.

I've also got all of the TBI sensors mounted, as well as the front accessory drive stuff. I think I have a radiator that will work (Camaro) and have been thinking over how to mount it. Looks like I can work with the stock mechanical fan so I'll stick with that, but I have room to go electric if I want to later on. Starting to think through plumbing and wiring.

Any suggestions for a fuel tank that will fit behind the rear axle? I'd like to find something around 20 gallons that doesn't hang down too far, ideally with an internal fuel pump that will work with the TBI system. My plan is to run the fuel system off of this primary tank, and use the 2 10 gallon saddle tanks as extra capacity for longer trips. They will have a transfer pump system to pump into the main tank.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #113 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
There is a build they did at IHParts america where they put a rear center mounted fuel tank in. It was a 15 gal one and it was asked what it was out of but all they said was a jeep and it was picked out of a catalog.

Here
Jim's 1968 Scout 800 - IH PARTS AMERICA

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
There is a build they did at IHParts america where they put a rear center mounted fuel tank in. It was a 15 gal one and it was asked what it was out of but all they said was a jeep and it was picked out of a catalog.

Here
Jim's 1968 Scout 800 - IH PARTS AMERICA
Cool I was just reading through that thread the other day - I acutally PM'd him and he couldn't remember what the application was.

I have a buddy in town that has a Scout II, been meaning to measure that tank tank. It should fit between the rails, but I don't know that it won't be too long. Maybe I should make my own?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #115 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I looked at the tank issue when I thought I was going rear leaves. A scout II tank will fit. A chevy blazer tank would fit also, but IIRC, you need to bend the flanges for clearance, or widen the frame some (easy enough to take an inch out of each side and replate it. The blazer tank options were 31 and 25 gallon IIRC, same dimensions except for height.

blazer was like 28x28x11 i think. Thats the route I was going to go before going with a custom cell.

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Jeep Yjs had 15 gallon stock tanks with an intank pump.
'r than gcc

If you fuckers actually took a second to read the words rather than knee jerk reacting to the pics, you might have a clue what his plan is.

EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Jeep Yjs had 15 gallon stock tanks with an intank pump.
My 94 had the "15 gallon" tank, its actually a 20 gallon tank with an extra long vent tube inside and can be modified to a 20 gallon.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Jeep CJ Fuel Tanks

Few pics of the different jeep gas tanks
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 9324
Send a message via AIM to T1H5_TA3 Send a message via MSN to T1H5_TA3 Send a message via Yahoo to T1H5_TA3
sweet build... got me jonseing for another 80/800
Old 11-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 98655
[QUOTE=MotoDave;28546857]Never gave it much thought since I'd planned to do the 3 link front end, but I guess I'd do a shackle reverse and build some spring hangers at the front. I haven't really seen any hangers done on scout 80s that didn't look like they'd catch on everything you drive past.

Dave,
I agree completely. The front frame kick up seems to create that need.
I was thinking along the lines of spring under and short front shackles that mimic the original design with longer, more flexible springs. (Read: Cheap, limited budget, simple, stone age technology construction for the creatively challenged folks like me!)
I am happy yours is progressing and look forward to your designs and solutions to challenges of the build. Can't wait to see it completed!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Squeezed in a little bit of garage time in between all the family stuff this weekend. I tacked on the rear shock hoops, here it is at ride height (shock isn't conncted to the axle, just mounted to check clearances)

Hrm, this isn't gonna work ...

That's with the drivers side jacked up ~4", and the passenger side hanging free.

So on to the backup plan it is, mounting some 10" short body Bilstein 7100's under the foor. Did a quick mockup to get an idea of what I want the mounts to look like:

The lower mount is dropped below the axle about as much as the spring pack will stick down, so I'm not really losing anything in clearance. Its not perfect, but it'll work. I can always re-work it later if I decide it sucks

Anyone want to buy some used 12" travel Fox shocks?

Last edited by MotoDave; 01-20-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #122 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
With you cutting more of your fenders...what would a 1" - 1.5" wheel spacer do for you? Would you be able to keep your hoops and outboard shocks?

IMHO...Running the shocks below the axle tube is way not cool. I would much rather run a wheel spacer than have additional trail fangs to get snagged on.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Not doing wheel spacers. Looking at them as an engineer they are basically an exercise in how much of a stress concentration you can design into a part - no thanks. If anything I'd find some wheels that have less backspacing, but these are already pretty minimal.

Wider axles would make a lot of things easier for sure, but its not what I want to do for now. The rear is spring under, so the spring pack is already hanging down below the axle. I agree that its not ideal to have shock mounts below, but I don't feel like I am giving up THAT much in terms of clearance. The setup I drew is ~2" below the axle.

A friend suggested running the short Bilsteins on roughly the same mounting location but outside the frame, which is a good idea. Might be low enough that the upper mount misses the tire as it arcs in, and I'd rather have something hanging down next to the tire than next to the differential. I'm going to mock that up and see how it looks.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 98655
That is the way they used to do the dual rear shocks on the Stroppe Broncos.
Between the tire and frame. For the upper frame mount they used an old Ford pickup upper mount. It had a triangular shaped base with the shock shaft built into it. Originally they are riveted to the inside of the Ford pickup frame. I think the mount was the same from around 65 to 79. Stroppe turned them around and mounted them on the outside of the frame rail.
I have a couple and can send a picture if needed.
Is there room between the tub and the top of the frame to put an early Jeep upper shock mount in there? It looks tight from the pictures and the body has that lip that drops down below the top of the frame.

Last edited by just4cuz; 12-01-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
That is the way they used to do the dual rear shocks on the Stroppe Broncos.
Between the tire and frame. For the upper frame mount they used an old Ford pickup upper mount. It had a triangular shaped base with the shock shaft built into it. Originally they are riveted to the inside of the Ford pickup frame. I think the mount was the same from around 65 to 79. Stroppe turned them around and mounted them on the outside of the frame rail.
I have a couple and can send a picture if needed.
Is there room between the tub and the top of the frame to put an early Jeep upper shock mount in there? It looks tight from the pictures and the body has that lip that drops down below the top of the frame.
I came across these a while ago, same idea?
Rear Double Shock Mounts - WILD HORSES Early Ford Bronco Parts
Stupid engineer in me doesn't like shocks mounted in single shear.

You got it right, there's a flange that overhangs the frame rail. I don't remember if there's much space between the frame rail and the body but I don't think so.

Last edited by MotoDave; 12-02-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.