Ground Breaker - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #226 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
So I finally got enough done that this happened.

https://youtu.be/FZKDPNWs_LA

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jemarshall; 01-04-2017 at 04:22 AM.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #227 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I can't get that to embed for the life of me.

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #228 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
I can't get that to embed for the life of me.
That is because you are not a 19yo girl

Saw some of the pics and the video on FB while answering snow wheeling questions. The engine sounds mean as fuck.

Great work man. Keep plugging along.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #229 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
That is because you are not a 19yo girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Saw some of the pics and the video on FB while answering snow wheeling questions. The engine sounds mean as fuck.

Great work man. Keep plugging along.
Thanks, makes a huge difference and feels so much better when you can finally make it makes noise.

Making good progress.

I was worried about clearance between the radiator and throttle body so I flipped the intake around and will put the air filter under the dash.

Brakes are 80% done, I had to order in the adapters to go from the inverted flare to NPT at the master cylinder. I will finish them out once it here, should be here Thursday.

All the drive line parts except for a carrier bearing showed up today. I was not sure what size bearing I needed, but the are stocked locally so I will pick one up Friday. I should have the drive-lines done this weekend.

Got the brake peddle moved over and mounted. I just have to shorten the rod for the hydro boost, and then mount it all up for the last time. I can then finish out the steering and hydraulic lines.

Dash is in with just the minimum gauges for now.

Made up a fast little switch plate with just enough on it till latter.

The wiring is about 90% done, just needed to pick up a couple cable ends today to finish it out.

I have two pieces left to cut out for the tank mount, and I will try to get it mounted up this weekend also.

Going to try and get the last two mounts welded on the radiator tomorrow.

Still waiting on the shifter to show up, they sent it from PA to me via china or some shit. Says it should be here Thursday finally. Hoping to get it mounted up and see if it will move under its own power by the end of the weekend, will see how it goes.

It will still need allot of little things finished up, but it should be able to go come the end of the month.

Quote:

Old 01-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Looking and sounding good man!! I remember when I first fired my new motor up after the scout was sitting for years. It brought a tear to my eye!

I have the same dual pass cooler for my rig. I had a hard time trying to find a place for it as well. Just too big or too wide to fit where I wanted it to. I have it in front of my radiator with the fan to the rear of the fins, after trying other locations. I hooked up the cooler so the flow would loop back through it, and made it into a one fluid cooler. I had some issues with it keeping up cooling when my engine was over heating since I had the lines plumbed to the radiator then the tranny cooler. I've since made it a stand alone system. I haven't wheeled with it since the change, due to the engine tear down to track the heating issue.

Let me know if you want any pics.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #231 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4ever View Post
Looking and sounding good man!! I remember when I first fired my new motor up after the scout was sitting for years. It brought a tear to my eye!

I have the same dual pass cooler for my rig. I had a hard time trying to find a place for it as well. Just too big or too wide to fit where I wanted it to. I have it in front of my radiator with the fan to the rear of the fins, after trying other locations. I hooked up the cooler so the flow would loop back through it, and made it into a one fluid cooler. I had some issues with it keeping up cooling when my engine was over heating since I had the lines plumbed to the radiator then the tranny cooler. I've since made it a stand alone system. I haven't wheeled with it since the change, due to the engine tear down to track the heating issue.

Let me know if you want any pics.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Still plugging away as much as I can.

More of the wiring done.

99% of the plumbing done. I just need to tie in the rear calipers and then I can bleed out the brakes. I came up about a foot short on hose for the return from the power steering cooler so I had to order in another section. The rest of all the steering is plumbed. Transmission is plumbed. Radiator is installed, again. First time the seals in the water pump had dried up and failed from sitting and bled all over the place.

Cooler mounted, I ended up putting it under where the fuel tank sit's.

Shifter is mounted and started in on the transfer case shifters before I got called off to go town home another broken Ferd. I didn't get as much done over the weekend as I wanted, just seems like there is all kinds of stuff that keeps coming up and getting in the way, but progress is progress.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #232 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Still chipping away at it a little after work every night.

Brakes are done

Shifters are done

Got a bunch of finish welding done to the rear and got most of the weld washers welded up.

Rear drive line is cut to length and set up and the rear half of the front one is done. Had to wait for the carrier bearing to get here. I should have the bearing mounted and the last section made up tomorrow morning. Hoping to have the shafts dropped off at the local drive line shop tomorrow after noon to have them welded up and balanced. Planing on having it in the exhaust shop early next week.

I will spend the weekend finishing up most of the wiring, floor boards and skid plates.

Quote:

Last edited by jemarshall; 01-12-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #233 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Well its been a long week. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but I did get allot done. Seemed like everything I worked on took so much longer than it should have. I was also working around the fact that this corner of the world had stopped because it snowed and I am surrounded by fucking idiots that don't know what to do when it does , 16 days to get a part from Reno to Portland......

So interior paneling is done-ish. I am in no way shape or form a person that can do great work with sheet. I am not 100% happy with the fit and finish on it, but its not horrendous, and its functional.

Fuel tank in and all the plumbing is done on the fuel system except for the tank vent.

Wiring is 99% done, the only thing left is to swap the connector on the transmission/steering cooler over to a weather pack connector, a couple of want to have's are to install the ham, radio and wire the seat heaters.

All the plumbing is done, I still need to make up some rubber protector piece for the brake where they are zip tied to the links and possibly add a proportioning valve to the front brakes. I will have to play with that a little bit more to see how it is behaving latter.

I got the drive lines back from the shop on Tuesday, all balanced and ready to go.

It went to the exhaust shop yesterday. I didn't have the front drive shaft finished up and in it yet though. The front end still had a 1330 yoke and the 1350 yoke was lost in the UPS snow delay cluster fuck. So after I got it back in the shop today and started trying to get the front shaft in it, I promptly cut the driver side pipe out because it wouldn't clear. There was a breakdown in communication and he routed it the wrong way, so it has to go back after I get off of work Tuesday morning and get routed the way I wanted it in the first place.

How it sounded before I took the sawzall to the exhaust

https://youtu.be/1skKqYhd4m4

So for now I think the short list is:
Alignment
Seat belt mounts
Skid plates
3 bars in the rear section of the cage it has to have
Something to protect the radiator
Front winch if possible
a few lights
Roof.....

I also need to see about getting some paint on it in the bare metal area's, not needed, but will make a huge of a difference latter on cleaning it all back up to get some paint on it.

Not toooo much to try and get done in the little amount of time left until its supposed to be loaded for California......

Quote:

Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #234 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
It's getting close to koh time, please tell me your gonna make it!

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #235 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Planning on it. Going to be a push to get it done enough, but should make it.

Quote:

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #236 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
i gave him the same answer

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #237 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
I'm waiting for a picture of this loaded on a trailer ready to go.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
Old 01-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #238 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Like this?
Attached Images

Quote:

Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #239 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Because there happened to be an epic shakedown run today.

https://www.facebook.com/harold.olso...1314808925554/

Quote:

Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 235208
FKN AWESOME!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #241 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
That's awesome John. I bet that felt good. Any issues that came up during the run.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #242 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
awesome!

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #243 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
There is some vibration in the front drive shaft I need to look at. I built some adjustability into the carrier bearing and between that and playing with the link adjustment I think I can get rid of it.

Besides that, needs tuned a little bit and the eco box puked out the vent a little bit where it wanted to self adjust it's fluid level.

I will get the winch mounted and a skid for the sub frame on it hopefully tomorrow and call it good to go for now.

Quote:

Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #244 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Update time.

So I dragged this thing down to KOH and spent a week wheeling with a group of great people and rigs. This thing did absolutely amazing. It climbed everything I pointed it at at just kept on going. A few issue showed themselves, but nothing that I couldn't live with. There is an issue in the ECO box where it seems like I can shift past low range, and I cant get it to shift all the way into high. I also think I got the York mount off by about an 1/8th of an inch and the belt is walking 1 rib off of the front of the pulley. Not too big of an issue, until you blow the belt at about 30 MPH bouncing through the desert at night..... I put the belt back on and made it back to camp. The next day I got a new belt from town and swapped it on and it lasted the end of the week. Looked at it after getting it back in the garage and it has walked 1 rib back off of the front of the York again.

There was 1 major issue I had, but it was not related directly to the rig. PSA, if you leave your rig parked in the wrong side of town, you might get jacked.

So the first day of playing and we were headed up outer limits and I touched this one little stupid rock.

and it ripped the hell out of the sidewall.

We were only a little over half way up, and of course nobody was caring a spare so I ended up finishing the trail and then driving the 6 ish miles back to camp on it. It was allot worse for the wear...

Not much of it left for having less than 20 miles on them. I hit up the maxxis guy but the best I could get him to do was to sell me the one he had on display for about half price. I went ahead and got it from him so that I would have the set of four to sell, and then headed over to the BFG booth to see what they had with them. After going over everything they said to bring just the wheels back to them and we would get it done. Headed out to get back to camp and get them pulled and got stuck in traffic.

They were lined up for their runs during the power hour. I got stuck waiting about a half hour to get out, not like I was about to go tell those two to get the hell out of my way. I did get to spend some time drooling over their rigs though.

So after getting back to camp and running the wheels/tires back down it got fitted up with a new set of 39" red's

I had the other ones listed for sale the next day, and dropped them off to a guy just south of Sac on the way north. I got hooked up on the prices of the red's and all in I think I am down about $350 after buying the one tire to replace the one that was damaged and then selling the set.

I have already sat down and made up the new list of things to finish and things to change/fix that I found, but for now I moved it off to the side in the garage so I can tackle a few other projects I need to get done. Hoping to get allot more of it finished up by the end of spring, will see how it goes.

All in all, I was absolutely amazed at how it ran and did going over everything, there is just no way to describe what its like going from my POS leaf sprung Dana 44 rig to this.....

Quote:

Last edited by jemarshall; 02-17-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 AM   #245 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Good up date. Sucks about the tire, but it sounds like it worked out. Thanks for sharing.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #246 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
Love the Dash!

LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #247 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Thanks. Right now its probably the only piece of the dash/console section I am not planning on throwing away and starting over on.

Quote:

Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 135020
how do you like the ORI"s I'm undecided on shocks but have been leaning towards the ORI's but I don't know enough people that run them to give me some real world advise
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #249 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I am really liking them. As far as packaging you cant beat them. Ride is a million times better than what I used to run. I have played with the tuning a little bit and have gotten them fairly good but I need to play around with them some more. They are no where near a set of good coil overs, but for how often you get to do any go fast stuff up here, I will not regret going with them over the coils. They also feel extremely stable, I have had it lay'ed way over on its side and I can only think of only once where I started to feel uncomfortable. Of course I was also wheeling up the last quarter of outer limits on a front flat tire, so that side was already sitting low, and then seeing the look on everyone else's faces as its laying that far over didn't help the uncomfortable feeling, but it never flopped and it drove out of it so its all good.

Video of my flailing around on Mini Rubicon this last weekend. Even when I went far left it felt really stable.

https://www.facebook.com/walt.jaquit...5085457412743/

Quote:

Old 02-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #250 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
So the oldest daughter came home for a visit so we took the scout out for a trip. Tried to make it all the way up to the crushers but just couldn't make it. Stickies really do suck as much in the cold as they say they do. Had a small issue where I kept puking trans fluid out of the doubler vent onto the motor, which would then run down on the exhaust and start smoking like crazy. I found the wire to the trans/power steering cooler fan had come out of the relay plug in and it wasn't running. I think what was happening is the transmission would get hot and its vent couldn't handle it, it would then push fluid out the rear seal into the doubler and then it would puke it. After I found the wire loose and got it back in I didn't have any more problems.

I have also been pecking away at some of the smaller stuff on it. Got the cable swapped out to synthetic and inside controls on the winch are done. Roof is 90% done and got a rear light bar installed. I got then new tabs for the seats cut out, and cleaned up a few things. Right now I am thinking of running it until next winter and then really tearing it back down and finishing up some things and redoing some others. I do need to get the eco box opened up and find out whats going on inside it, but I have to wait until I can have it disabled for a week or two if needed, right now there is just too much going in and out of the shop with trying to get all the other projects that got put on hold caught up. So far I am very happy with how it is doing.

Here is a video of it walking through the rock garden on Firebreak 5
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.jaqu...4251637876766/

And this one was in the last post but I figured I would post up my shame of being denied again so everyone can see it.
https://www.facebook.com/walt.jaquit...5085457412743/

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.