Ground Breaker - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Thanks. Hoping to get the frame separated and all the excess crap stripped off of it by the end of the week. Then it will be on to stripping the tub down to bare nothing.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
It's in a complete supposed running driving truck that I got at an estate sale. No keys or title for 2 trucks, $600 cash. House has since burnt down, amazingly, so no chance of getting them. I just want it to run and prove it will move under its own power before I yank everything I need out of it.
O I see, I thought you already had it swapped in.

Take the VIN number to your nearest neighborhood GM dealer, they should be able to sell you a key for it. Return it after trying it if you don't need it or it doesn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
There is no lock cylinder left in it. Fucking tweekers. All the wires are and the little transponder chip are all there.

I found a list of the 15 different resistances that are used from the factory, will grab a potentiometer from the pland and go play with it this evening. Got a Dr apptmentioned this morning and me and the oldest have another appointment at 1300 to do before I can do anything.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall:33957489
The tub and frame are finally home.

How did you manage to get rid of the wife's truck?
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
She finally caved and said i could get rid of it. I had to promis to build the little 64 80 out at the old mans for her though.

I brought the plasma home from work. Had that thing cut into pieces small enough for 1 person to load them into the small dump trailer in less than 4 hours. Of course it's not like I was dieing to get that sum birch gone or anything.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Got the tub and frame separated tonight.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
That windshield frame!
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
That windshield frame!
Trust me. It was lost cause way before that. There is one stashed upstairs for this already.

Last edited by jemarshall; 10-29-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Spent yesterday morning out at the old mans. Got the 6.0 fired of. Runs good but feels like it is about 10 years past due for a tune up. Runs and "moves". I am geussing the reason it was parked is because the steering gear pukes fluid out of the seal on it. 4 lo cookies in the mud are fun with or without power steering though.

Today I got the tun turned back over and swapped places with the frame so I can get started on stripping all the extra crap off of it tonight. Starting a run of night shifts tomorrow so I will in some extra time in the shop tonight on it.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Actually, what I meant to type was "How is that windshield frame holding up that tub?"
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 10-29-2015 at 09:19 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Pure Fucking Magic (PFM) because I didn't expect it too.

So anyone know where to get parts for a 1972 Rockwell air chisel? Hand me down from gramps and the spring just broke and turned tonight into alot longer of a night.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Got everything stripped off of the frame except for the body mounts. Going to leave them for not to locate the body when figuring out where I want to mount the motor.

Set the body back on the frame. Used some 3 inch aluminum pices from a body lift that's stashed in a drawer for now.

Next it will be setting the motor and Trans in and getting them located.

Does anyone know for certain that the 4l60 and 4l80 mounts are the same? Wanting to be 100% sure before I go further so I know if I can use the 5.3/4l60 to set up the motor and trans mounts or if I have to get the other one pulled first. Pretty sure they are the same but I have personally never had them side by side to know for sure.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall:34009601
So anyone know where to get parts for a 1972 Rockwell air chisel?
Chas H Day in portland. We take our air chisels from work there and they rebuild them.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
That is one beefy-ass cart you have it sitting on.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
...with load range 1/2A tires though?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Chas H Day in portland. We take our air chisels from work there and they rebuild them.
Thanks. It does look like they are still using the same spring on just about everything from what my googlefu found last night.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
So so, the I beams a pretty lightweight, two people can pick it up and carry it around. Was something I just threw together off of crap from the old mans yesterday with horror freight wheels so I could half ass move it around in the garage at least.

Last edited by jemarshall; 10-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc@hotmail.com View Post
...with load range 1/2A tires though?
It skipped leg day.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
This is what broke, right where the upper wire bends up off the main coiled to wrap around the center. Been using this think for years and this is the first time ithat has ever broken, has been spitting the tips out allot lately though.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
This is what broke, right where the upper wire bends up off the main coiled to wrap around the center. Been using this think for years and this is the first time ithat has ever broken, has been spitting the tips out allot lately.

Last edited by jemarshall; 10-30-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 189068
If you can't find a large size .498 vs .401 locally the yard store sell them

Rivet Gun Accessories
zachwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 31431
If you have ever pinched your finger in the return spring these are really nice. McMaster-Carr
sprout4two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Thanks.

Horror fright had one for less than 2 bucks I snagged. working better than I figured it would and got the job done. Ill get off my ass and order a good one at some point.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #49 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Got the drive train pulled from the truck Tuesday and brought it home so I could get it in the frame and start working on motor mounts.

By the end of Wednesday I had gotten the oil pan, headers and transfer cases swapped over onto it so it was ready to go.

On the Eco box I had to strip down the transfer case that came on the 4L80 and pull the planetary unit out of it an get it installed in the box. Pretty easy and straight forward but was really glad I didn't have to press out the sun gear since they are all the same. . I was able to do away with the two different adapters that I had to have to get it to mount to the 4L60 in order to get it the right length for the output shaft and get the VSS in between the transmission and cases.

The 4l80's output and stock adapter allows you to straight bolt the round pattern transfe cases straight to it. The only issue right now is that the 2wd versions have the rear reluctor ring installed at the rear of the transmission from the factory for the VSS signal but they did not install it on the 4wd versions. The relied on the VSS signal from the output of the Transfer case instead and used a signal when you shifted into low range to trigger the PCM to use a different set of shifting tables. That set up works great unless you are also going to use a doubler because its not set up to handle also. I have 4wd output shaft from an earlier version of the 400 that is the same and has the reluctor ring on it and will have it installed. The transmission is going to need to be opened up either way in my opinion from when I drained the fluid out of it. It was blacker than the oil that came out of then engine , might as well have it gone through before final install so I dont have to mess with it for a while.

You can see in theis pic where the rear sensor should go. I pulled the plug out and verified that the ring was indeed not in there.

I then got it stuffed in between the frame rails. The whole package is pretty well balanced. In this pic there is nothing supporting the transfer case's.

After a whole lot of fighting and fussing I ended up having to pull the headers off. I just couldn't get the motor where I wanted it with them there. I would have had to almost notch the whole frame rail off on the driver side to make it work and it still would not have been sitting where I wanted it to be.

Here it is sitting on the front mounts.

The bottom of the oil pan sits a little more than an inch about the bottom of the frame rails and there is just enough room you can get your hand between the head and tub. That might change a little bit once I get a little farther, planning on dropping the tube down some more, I just have it sitting in the stock location on 3" tall blocks for now so I could figure out the front to back location of everything.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Ruff location of the transfer case's

Got the body back off and out of the way for now and then centered up the rear output again. This is just about exactly where it will be sitting once I get the mounts for it made up.

After having issues with my last doubler coming loose and the number of broken trans case's and adapters I have seen lately I have put allot of time into researching the mounts for the transfer case's. It seems that the breakage is a common problem with using two cross members to support the back end. Its just too many contact points and different amounts of movement and it just tears thins apart. I am planning on making a cradle set up that will attach to both the rear transmission mount and the rear of the 205, but will only have one mounting point on each side instead of two. This should support everything nicely but allow it to mover enough throughout the whole package that it does not try tearing itself apart. I had come across a pic of a setup I liked and have something simulare in my head but I can not seem to find the pictures again. What I am envisioning is a oval made out of tubing the both of the mounts will go to and then a leg coming off of each side up the the frame. Will have to see how it comes out.

Something allot like this but with only single bars coming off each side up to the frame.

The part I am fighting with in my head is how I want to mount the 205 to the cradle. Using a mount to the center rear output, using the offset style that covers the aluminum rear plate or both???? The one catch is the cable shifter mount will play a little bit of havok with the plate mount over the aluminum cover so I am leaning more towards the rear output mount.

Thinking of getting this one and modifying it to the right length to work and just leaving the front output side do its thing for now and see what happens.

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-06-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.