Ground Breaker - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #76 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
reading your other thread and not wanting to mess it up with chit chat, I came to this one.

Are you sure you only want to have 4" up travel. Im at 5ish and wish i had more. You are going to have a lot more vehicle, capable of crawling AND going fast, why not take advantage of a little more bump? it wont hurt crawling and will be nice for anything else. Im not saying change the build design, just cut way more sheetmetal and set the upper shock mounts higher..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #77 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
reading your other thread and not wanting to mess it up with chit chat, I came to this one.

Are you sure you only want to have 4" up travel. Im at 5ish and wish i had more. You are going to have a lot more vehicle, capable of crawling AND going fast, why not take advantage of a little more bump? it wont hurt crawling and will be nice for anything else. Im not saying change the build design, just cut way more sheetmetal and set the upper shock mounts higher..........
I left enough clearance in it that I can squeeze another three inches of up travel out of it if I want to change it up latter. I was thinking of bumping it to 5 last night when I was playing with the links again. Trying to make a set decision on thins thing is like trying to herd fin cats, every time I think I know what I want or am going to do I look at it and want to change it a little bit.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #78 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:

I really don't have a good picture to show it but my limiting factor right now for bump is where the front truss will hit the front cross member of the frame here.

Once I get the mounts and everything set and welded up, everything from this point forward can be highly modified as long as I can get the radiator and fenders mounted which wont be a problem with a little bit of tube work.

I have the front axle shoved far enough forward its totally in front of the engine. You can kinda see it here where the crank pulley is behind the link mount, which isn't there anymore.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #79 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Whats your reasoning for only 4"? With the ease of flex you will have and the stability of it all, I doubt you will wish you had more down travel with 14" travel shocks.

Moving the crossmember is easy, as long as you have link clearance.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #80 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Whats your reasoning for only 4"? With the ease of flex you will have and the stability of it all, I doubt you will wish you had more down travel with 14" travel shocks.

Moving the crossmember is easy, as long as you have link clearance.
It was just a number i picked and trying to keep it from being excessively tall. Yup, the whole front section can be removed to allow more up travel once I get that far, and then I can just reset the top of the struts. Just trying to keep from going any higher with it. If I take off the front section/cross member of the frame, I could probably get 6 to 7 of total up travel before I had issues with the upper links, and that would all depend on how far back I trim the frame rails off at, might be able to get a liitle more than that. There is nothing a sawzall cant fix.

This is the best shot I can find of where the top link is going to mount.

You can get a pretty good idea of where the motor mount lands here, so anything forward of it can be moved and figured out with tube if I really want to go that far.

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #81 (permalink)
Brakes slo you down

Member # 481234
Welcome to linking a vehicle! I must've changed my mind 5,000 times since I started 1.5 yrs ago. It takes a lot to boil it down but its worth it in the end. I'm finally finished with the engineering of my truck. It's all fabrication from here. No more wadded up piles of paper with each failed steering design, link numbers, clearance issues, engine placement, etc. Everything fits and plays together now with the best possible numbers and performance. No more sacrifices from here on out.

You'll get there too. Just keep moving stuff around until it all balances out.
Juicysluice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #82 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I went back and looked at some of my numbers. I have 10" seperation at the axle and like 6 to 7 at the frame. My AS is lower than I recall, though I would have to go throw a tape measure at some things as I have several versions and am not sure which is correct. Im in the 70's as well, somewhere....

I think if you can drop the frame some, you should be in pretty good shape.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #83 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I will look at it some more Friday and make my final decision and see how it goes.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #84 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
So I have been off for last couple days and locked myself in the garage trying to get the suspension done because I go in for surgery on the first and will be crutches bound for a month so there are some updates needed, but for now....

TEASER PIC

Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
looks good. Looks like you dropped the belly to around 22??? Is that ride height?

Last edited by plug ugly; 11-22-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #86 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
looks good. Looks like you dropped the belly to around 22??? Is that ride height?
It's is at ride height, should be 19 ish. I'll have to throw a tape measure at it in a few before I start pulling it apart, the jack started kicking in at that point so I didn't feel like double checking it last night.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #87 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
damn, nice and low. Picture is deceptive. Looks like bottom of frame is up about from the hub centerline.

how is the driveshaft anlge looking to be?

Last edited by plug ugly; 11-22-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #88 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
The frame is, the sub frame is a little lower, just can't see it from that angle.

Just got to get myself moving again, 3 of us went out and finished off 6 cords of wood for the old mans woodshed today, and I'm having a problem making myself to go get it torn down tonight now.

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
24 to the frame rail's and 20 to the lowest point on the sub frame
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #90 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
Good job John. I had no idea you were this far all ng on your project. Hopefully I will see it soon. Did you go with 4340 or 300m on the RCVs?

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #91 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
Good job John. I had no idea you were this far all ng on your project. Hopefully I will see it soon. Did you go with 4340 or 300m on the RCVs?
Only went with 4340. Got it pulled all apart tonifh and started finishing up the welds and ran out of gas . Will have to get some tomorrow and get it finished up. Going to put me behind on getting it sand blasted this were though. I would like to have it ready to go by KOH, but I don't think I am going to make it. Just not enough time.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 87818
been following your build thread, id love to see that thing at KOH!!!!!! you gonna still go if your rig isn't done? should be a bunch of scouts there.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
been following your build thread, id love to see that thing at KOH!!!!!! you gonna still go if your rig isn't done? should be a bunch of scouts there.
I will be a KOH either way. I really don't think I have enough time between now and then to finish it. It's only 2 months off and I will be on crutches for one of them. I still got a bunch of little stuff to do during then but I really won't be able to put allot into it.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #94 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I mostly finished mine before after my knee surgery. It was the only time I had off consistently. Hopefullly you will be able to get around better than you think!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #95 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I really hope so. This will be the second time having this done, and they have to make the incision about twice as big. Hopefully it won't come back again. Essentially they have to cut open the bottom of my foot and go in and scrape off a mass/tumor that's growing on the tendons right in the arch area. FUCK ME it tickets like a sum bitch for a while.

From 2012
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
FUCK ME it tickets like a sum bitch for a while.
I stepped on a nail once.

dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
I stepped on a nail once.

Aww, you poor bambino

Quote:
I mostly finished mine before after my knee surgery. It was the only time I had off consistently. Hopefullly you will be able to get around better than you think!
I think I missed some of what you were thinking here. I'm not taking any time off work. I go back on shift Friday and might pick up an extra on Thursday for one of the other guys. They signed off on me just staying in the control room instead of going on short term disability, which pays at 75% of base. It also doesn't include built in OT so it's closer to 55/60% of pay. We also had a guy hurt earlier this year when his hand was smashed on the job, and he went in this last week for a re-break and set and will be out till after the first of the year, going to be short handed as it is.

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-23-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #98 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
Thanks. The truss wasn't to bad to cut down after I sat and stared at it and figured out the best place to take out what I needed to loose from it. The C on the other hand kicked my ass a little bit. I slid it on and was working to try and get it lined up before it cooled to much and just barley tapped it with my forearm. You can still see where it burnt me, and by the time I stopped cussing and jumping around that bastard had set. It took 4 of up to get that thing to rotate with heat and hammers and get the castor set right.
I have a brand of a 3/4 fine thread grade 8 bolt on my left inner elbow from reaching into spot that I could not reach back out of fast enough. BTDT.

Keep up the good work.
YellowIH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #99 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
John is your front upper links going to clear everything? That mount seams awefully close to center and tall.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #100 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
John is your front upper links going to clear everything? That mount seams awefully close to center and tall.
I've got tons of room, could add almost 2" of up travel before I would have to worry about contact. The closest thing to hitting is the removable truss piece over the ram. Without that there I could add 4 or 5" more of up travel before link contact.

I didn't get a good shot of it after I changed out the frame mounts for the uppers to get them down where they needed to be, but this showed full twist as of now. 4 up, 10 down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.