Ground Breaker - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #101 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
Gotcha! I was looking at a picture you had on page one. It looks really good. I'm excited for you to get it done, Your going to enjoy it.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #102 (permalink)
Brakes slo you down

Member # 481234
The foot doesn't look fun especially if it's round 2 because you know what you're in for. I had a knee scope in Sept. Month off. 2 meniscus tears and some other squishy shit that was growing where it shouldn't be that was affecting nerves.

Put me way behind in my build.

Can't wait to see mockup with the body at ride.
Juicysluice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
Gotcha! I was looking at a picture you had on page one. It looks really good. I'm excited for you to get it done, Your going to enjoy it.
Thank you and I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicysluice View Post
The foot doesn't look fun especially if it's round 2 because you know what you're in for. I had a knee scope in Sept. Month off. 2 meniscus tears and some other squishy shit that was growing where it shouldn't be that was affecting nerves.

Put me way behind in my build.

Can't wait to see mockup with the body at ride.
Ya, I did those both of mine back in 05/06. They say they need to go back in but there is no squishy parts left after the last time so I have just been ignoring them for now. Both of those have to go through the VA too so it will be 15 years before anything happens anyway.

So working on finishingup the sub frame, got the middle crossmember in and looking at the tube I need to add. The pic is what I am thinking, but not sure if it would be adequate or not. Wanting to leave as much open in the middle as possible so I can get to the trans pan for maintenance or anything else.

Thoughts???

And I drew that freehand on my phone so ya'll

Edit: Sub frame is all 1.75 .25 wall Dom if that matters to you.
Attached Images

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #104 (permalink)
Brakes slo you down

Member # 481234
Looks good to me so long as the tubing you weld in is straighter
Old 12-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #105 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
Is this thing done yet?

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #106 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I wish, sitting in Dr office waiting for my appt to find out if I get my stitches out today or not. For the love of God I hope so, they are itching like a mofo and are about to drive me even farther off the cliff.

This is my hell week at work and I start my 7 off Friday, hoping to get back to it some over that time off. Going to try and get the harness cut down at least.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #107 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Only pulled half of the stitches, got to go back next week for the rest.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #108 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
More than ready for these basterds to go away so I can get my boots back on and off of the fin crutches.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #109 (permalink)
Brakes slo you down

Member # 481234
Go weld something
Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #110 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690

I wish. Got the stitches out Monday, and we got hit by a wind storm from hell. Still have tons of people without power around us. I just happen to be close enough to town that we got ours back already. Spend allot of Tuesday cutting downed tree's, and then Wednesday kicking myself in the ass for doing it. Still a little too early to push it. With the hollidays and the work schedule, it will be the middle of next week before I can even try and get anything done on it.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #111 (permalink)
Brakes slo you down

Member # 481234
Sucks to lose power. Hopefully the weather isn't too severe?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 197289
cool Build, any updates?
xfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #113 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfalcon View Post
cool Build, any updates?
I have not gotten anything done on it yet, was finally fully released from surgery this week, and the daughters rig has taken up residence in the garage until the middle of next month. Got a few things I need to finish up the rear shocks and fuel tank on hers, and I am not going to pick those up till after getting back from KOH.

Last edited by jemarshall; 01-22-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #114 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 116720
KOH 2016 is in the books, it's time to get building again.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #115 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971scout2 View Post
KOH 2016 is in the books, it's time to get building again.
Ya ya ya, whittling down the list of crap that somehow got in the way of getting back to it. Planning on having it sitting back on its axles by next week. If I keep repeating that over and over in my head, it just might happen.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
So I finally got the garage cleaned up this afternoon and was able to make some progress on it this evening. Before I had my surgery when I cycled the suspension I was worried about drive shaft to link clearance on the front end. I had been contemplating having to cut the C's loose and rotating the pinion up some more to get some more room. After getting the front and rear back under the frame and playing around with it some more, it seems that I can just move the lower link frame side mounts out and get all the room I need. I had them set pretty close, about 3.75 out from center. If I move them out to 8.75/9" it leaves me with a little more than 2" of clearance at full droop. It also moves my roll center up 2" and drops my under steer from -3 to -2. I have to order a couple tabs to do it, and should have them in by the end of next week. Will see how it works.

Last edited by jemarshall; 02-13-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #117 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Got a little more time in on this the other night. Got the front lower frame side mounts figured out and then mounted the drive train back in it. I then started trying to get the wiring harness finished up that I started on in December. Trying to work over a wiring harness while all hopped up on pain pills and wobbling around on crutches is not a good idea. I got it sorted out for the most part, but then realized I was running really low on decent crimps and heat shrink so I got some on order and called it a night.

My anniversary is next week so I wont be able to get to it till the week after. Planing on setting the tub back on it and figuring out the lower mounts and everything as soon as the harness is finished up. Need to get that figured out so I can start looking at the cage and where the upper shock mounts are going to be located.

Last edited by jemarshall; 02-27-2016 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #118 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Slow progress has been being made. Had a bunch of stuff come up that took the garage space and time foe to much to get done. I did get the harness finished up except for the fuse block section, waiting until I am ready to mount t before I finish that section. Also ordered in the radiator, and then had to return it and order a different one. It was supposedly delayed during shipping due to a late trailer. When it got to me, it looked like the trailer had rolled down a ravine.

In this one you can kind of see that it was twisted end to end

They were pretty good about the return though and covered shipping it back to them, why they even wanted it back though is beyond me.

This is the second one that showed up. Fits prefect for what I am thinking.

Last edited by jemarshall; 03-25-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #119 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I then started looking at where the body is going to sit and got it set back where it would have been stock. This is with it sitting on 3" block in the stock location.

and then I attacked it with a 4" cut off blade and the plasma cutter.

I need to pull everything back off the frame so I can flip it over and finish up a few things before I can go any farther, but just wasn't feeling it, so I just took the time to fill in all the little holes in the firewall this last weekend, I will try and get my ass motivated enough to get the frame finished up in the next week-ish.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #120 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
and then I attacked it with a 4" cut off blade and the plasma cutter.

So whats the plan? Are you lengthening the body or shortening it? Or better yet.... flat bed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #121 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Removable/replaceable skins. Will use the ones that came off of it for now, and scrounge some other ones latter and hide them so if I beat one up to bad I can change it out.

I did pick up the material for the new rockers/sliders, and decided on where I am going to cut it for the boat sides too. Just not anything I can sow on that. I did allot of the staring/drinking/thinking/planning for it this weekend, just didn't actually get allot of the physical labor done. That and I ran out of gas for the welder early Saturday.....

Last edited by jemarshall; 03-25-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #122 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
Removable/replaceable skins. Will use the ones that came off of it for now, and scrounge some other ones latter and hide them so if I beat one up to bad I can change it out.
I hear ya. I like the skins idea. That's what I'm leaning towards for my "fenders". I'm gonna cut the original fenders up high and fab some Metal Panel style fenders. If I beat on them pretty bad, I just replace them with a new set.

LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #123 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Nice build. I was surprised to see the back half, was that the plan all the time? After cutting the back half off did you move the body back or is it sitting in the stock location? I may have missed it earlier but why the 4 link front, most guys seem to be doing 3 links with builds
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #124 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Nice build. I was surprised to see the back half, was that the plan all the time? After cutting the back half off did you move the body back or is it sitting in the stock location? I may have missed it earlier but why the 4 link front, most guys seem to be doing 3 links with builds
Thanks.

Yes on the body panels, I wanted to be able to change them fairly easy if they get bashed up. In the Pic's it is sitting in the stock location, it might get moved forward a little bit when I go to actually mount it up, but I haven't finalized that decision yet.

I went front four link because it seems much easier to me. With 3 link you add extra variables with the track bar and its swing arks through travel. It also seems allot of people fight with the upper link and torsion or binding allot also, going 4 just evens everything out and simplifies it to me. This being the first 4 link I have done I did learn allot. The rear was simple, went pretty much right together, the front kicked my ass for a while and I had to change allot of things on it from my original thinking to get it to work, there is just allot of shit in the way on that end.

Update, no pics again.

I did get it stripped back to just the frame and flipped over. Finished up the sub-frame section and got it shipped off to be sand blasted and primed Friday. Its being slid in on a hook up so I wont get it back until this next Friday, but for the price I wont be complaining about it. I still need to add gussets to the link mounts for the front, I just ran out of time to get them done before I had to get it loaded so it could go and I went back on shift, but touching up the primer will be easy.

Its not looking like much will happen again till next month anyways. This month is our spring outage at work, and as it stands I have 4 days off between now and the first of May. I was told to expect to be asked to work at least 2 of those too. Good for the wallet and parts fund, but not really conductive to working on your own junk.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #125 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Was able to get a bunch done on it yesterday. With the frame gone I was able to get to a bunch of the little stuff I had been ignoring for a while.

Got the gussets done for link mounts on the axle ends finally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.