Ground Breaker - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #201 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Ok, so there is finally some progress.

Finished up the frame notches, the front ORI mounts and added a few more tubes to the front section.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #202 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Well shit...... the pump and bracket clears by a cunt hair, but there is no way the pulley will

Measuring it out I am 90% sure the 4401 goatbuilt kit will clear just fine though.
Attached Images

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Is there some competition or event that you want to do that requires a full frame?

I'd take a sawzall to that square tube right after the motor mounts and tube the rest. That's the great thing about a 4link, you don't need the frame to mount anything to.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #204 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I have seriously though bout it, but for now I am going to keep the major pain in the ass frame . Working on interior rubes for now and will keep thinking about it for a little bit though

Quote:

Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #205 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Is there some competition or event that you want to do that requires a full frame?

I'd take a sawzall to that square tube right after the motor mounts and tube the rest. That's the great thing about a 4link, you don't need the frame to mount anything to.
agreed

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #206 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 181868
Read the whole thread. The last two months is kind of depressing. Looks like you got it mostly sorted out. You do have some deturmination. Sub'd

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 35721
That's one TIGHT fit!!

Grind that metal down a little. Don't forget about engine movement and flex! Glad to see it all worked out for ya!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #208 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Read the whole thread. The last two months is kind of depressing. Looks like you got it mostly sorted out. You do have some deturmination. Sub'd
Ya, it has. There has been so much other stuff going on though it really hasn't been to bad, I just have to get stuff finished up so I can get my attention back to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih4ever View Post
That's one TIGHT fit!!

Grind that metal down a little. Don't forget about engine movement and flex! Glad to see it all worked out for ya!
I am still going over this, the relocation brackets from goat built move it up 4 3/16, but it also moves it out 1 15/16. I have to measure it out and figure out where it will end up before I can come up with a plan on what I have to do. There is a set of brackets that puts the pump up about where the alt sits stock, and puts the alt on the pass side which would work, but I would not be able to run the York that way, and I really don't want to give that up. I am half way through a 16 day straight run at work and haven't had the time to measure it out yet, planning on trying to figure it out on my one day off on the 13th.

I did finally get an intake ordered yesterday to fit it, finally came across one that fit what I needed at a decent price. It's a 2011 nnbs one with injectors and fuel rails, should be here by the 11th. The TB isn't coming with it so the price was allot lower, witch is fine with me since I have decided to stick with DBC for now. I would have to get an aftermarket TB to fit it anyways. After I get that and the cam kit I can tear into the motor and get it finished up.
Attached Images

Quote:

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #209 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
The next piece of the puzzle showed up today. NNBS intake to match the 799 heads. Just a couple more parts and I can start on the motor. I need to figure out how to tell the difference between the normal and flex fuel injectors, this supposedly has the flex ones but me and Jose were having issues understanding each other so they might not be. Either way, for the price of the intake with injectors and fuel rails I couldn't pass it up. Going to be staying DBC for now so the TB is no big deal anyways.
Attached Images

Quote:

Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #210 (permalink)
Perfection in Plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
builds looking great! good for you trying to keep as much stock frame as possible, its not looking easy but i like to see "stock'ish" frames getting a 2nd life.

oh and whats with the "truck nuts" looking shock mount? ha ha.....

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #211 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
oh and whats with the "truck nuts" looking shock mount? ha ha.....

Was wondering how long it was going to take someone to bring that up. Well it was longer than I thought, must be the kinder/gentler pbb.

My wife's comment, "they look like balls", and Plugugly even threw in the "old man balls". They just happened to cum out that way , but at least now no one can say that it doesn't have balls.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #212 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
So I was able to get a some done on it this last week. I didn't get as far as I wanted to but anything is better than nothing.

I got the brackets for the power steering pump in and got it mounted. I still had to trip the frame some but it was much easier with the pump in the new spot instead of the stock location. I also got the brackets ordered last week to put the alternator on the passenger side and the york on the drivers side, but I haven't gotten any info on when they will ship or be here yet.

I had to have the upper neck modified on the radiator to clear the upper ORI mounts. Got that done and the radiator mounted. I still need to add 2 more mounts to it but I messed up the blocks I made. Free handing the holes and they were not straight so the rubbers were not flush when I screwed them in.

I cut slits in the upper side mounts so that it can drop into them and the pull on the bottom of the radiator to get it in the bottom ones. I will add the other two to the front like the lower one's, but up as far as I can and have the rubber mounts clear the brackets while it is hanging off of the side ones, and then have the studs pull into it like the lower ones.

I still need to rework the upper corner of the shroud but I am waiting until I get hoses to finish it.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #213 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I then got started on the interior. This is giving me more headaches than anything else so far. Just being a real pain trying to cam 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag. The biggest fight is that the transmission has to come out the top, so I am making anything lower than the bottom dash bar, and inside the width of the frame rails removable. Its just adding a big design issue to it. I am happy with the way I think its going to work, but will ave to wait and see. The interior panels are going to be so much fun on it. . The stopping point on this was when I realized the tabs I had to mount my seats had been re appropriated to a different project and were never replaced. A local shop here had some in stock, but by the time I got them in hand it was to late and I had to stop working on it for Family time and Turkey day, which was also the wife's birthday. When I do get back to it, the plan is to do double shear with a long pin from side to side that can be pulled from the outside so I don't have to fight with bolts on the inner mounts if I need to pull and install them for anything down the road. It's an idea I saw somewhere else on here a while back, but can't remember where it was that I saw it.

Quote:

Old 11-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #214 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Now I see even more why the buggy builders build the removable "bridge" center section. Pulling that tranny out through the cab will bring the suck if you ever have to do it.

You might as well burn the rig or drive it off a cliff if you have to pull that box...

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #215 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
I was really thinking that, but I don't think it would be that bad now. I made the center really tall, and part of that was to help with that. The plan right now is to keep all the plumbing and electrical out of the center, put it under the floors outside the frame above the boat sides. This way all that has to be done is to pull the rods on the seats, pull the side panels on the console and disconnect everything at the trans. Undo the flanges and the shifter's and everything will come out as a unit. I can then lift the trans out with the cherry picker instead of trying to balance it on a stupid floor jack that wont lift it high enough. Only thing that has to be done from the bottom is the torque converter.

Quote:

Old 12-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #216 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Seats are all mounted, still playing with where I want to mount the orbital though....

Still trying to decide if I want to have it here, push it back a little so it will be completely behind the dash, or have it completely out in the engine compartment with just a shaft coming through. I prefer the last option the most, but I am running into a major space issue next to the engine on the driver side.....

I was planning on getting it figured out today and doing some welding on it, and also possibly getting the tank mounted. That was until work called me a 0517 to be there at 0600 to cover a shift for the ass hat that waited until 05 to call in sick, instead of calling in last night when he was up puking..... The double time will be a nice excuses to get the cam ordered this next payday though.

Quote:

Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #217 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161937
Things looking really good John. I like the quick release seats.

Thanks to:
PCI Radios
BTR Wheels
BF Goodrich
jrad12381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #218 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
Things looking really good John. I like the quick release seats.
Thanks, I was really hoping to have it done by the end of the year, but I do see that happening, and I don't see making it before KOH, even without worrying about the body panels

The seat pins are very nice, with as many times as I have already pulled them out measuring and double checking everything they are more than worth it to do. With all the floor panels in I done think I could get the back inner bolts in it without going even more insane.

Quote:

Old 12-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #219 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Well, you ever have one of those days were you wan to get allot done and no matter what everything seems to try and keep you from doing it, you, that was yesterday.

Ran out of gas for the welder, forgot to pick up sanding disk for the disk sander, shipping this time of year sucks so what was supposed to be here last week isn't here yet, when I ordered the fittings for my fuel system I forgot a couple, and then it got down right fin cold. Screw it, done for the night.

Only thing I actually did get done is the mount plate for the fuel pump and filter. It will end up on top of the boat sides, below the floor under the drivers seat.

Quote:

Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 385346
Damn, another cool build to follow.
Subsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #221 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsrule View Post
Damn, another cool build to follow.
Thank you.

Progress has been made but it seems like it is still dragging. Of course I got side tracked a little and my attention has been divided a little this last weekend. I picked up a 4x4 plasma table and have been getting it up and running.

Got the throttle body, new harness, camshaft and a few other parts in, waiting on the shifter and a few gauges to come in and I should have 99% of all the parts I need on hand.

Finally decided on where the orbital is going and got it mounted and the steering column in. Made a small mount for the power steering reservoir, the first actual part cut on the new table. It came out almost perfect.

Just need to get my hands on pieces for the drive shafts. For now I am just going to dig up some stock one that have the 1350 joints and make up a set. I just haven't gotten around to picking them up. Working with team208 on the tuning. He is sending me out a PCM with a base tune so it will run, hopefully by next weekend, and then after the first of the year and everything slows down I will get it dialed in with a custom remote tune from them.

Quote:

Old 12-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 52376
If your looking for Driveshaft parts take a look here.
Denny's Driveshaft and Driveline Parts - DANA SPICER Parts large in stock inventory driveline parts.

Sometimes they have the best prices but I use them to get the spicer part numbers I need then check around. (amazon)
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #223 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
If your looking for Driveshaft parts take a look here.
Denny's Driveshaft and Driveline Parts - DANA SPICER Parts large in stock inventory driveline parts.

Sometimes they have the best prices but I use them to get the spicer part numbers I need then check around. (amazon)
Thank you, I'll have to definitely look at that

Quote:

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #224 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Engine is ready to go back in.
Attached Images

Quote:

Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #225 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Long week, I got allot done but not as much as I was wanting to. It seem like for everything I got finished there was an issue that slowed it all down.

The engine is back in and the harness is hooked up to it, the PCM got hung up in the holiday shipping disaster so I am still waiting on it.

I got 90% of the steering plumbed. The hydro boost unit I have is in pretty rough shape and looks to have gotten allot of dirt in it, so I am going to pick up a different one. Once I have it I can get it mounted and then finish out the plumbing.

I got the radiator hoses figured out. I had planed on putting the stock heater unit back in it, but it will not fit and looks like ass. I had tapped out the water pump and installed the fittings for the heater, but for now I am going to loop them together until I come up with a heater unit I like.

Going to start over on the fan shroud, I really need to get a break so I can bend material and not have it look like shit.....

When I pulled the motor I left the transmission mounts hooked up, and when I was moving it around to get the engine off of it, I broke the adapter between the trans and the ECO box, talk about a dumb-ass move . I was able to get one the next morning from the wrecking yard, and they had a cast metal one instead of an aluminum one. It is allot heavier but 10x as strong.

Got the 1350 yokes on the 205 and the transmission and cases put back in, drive line parts are on order.

The last relocation bracket for the accessories showed up today, got it installed and the serpentine belt measured out before work. I will test fit the belt I got for it in the morning to see how far off on the measurement I am.

Most of the fuel system is plumbed, I still need to get the tank mounted so I can finish it out.

Finished up making the console removable, I feel it came out really good. Will be working on getting all the shifter mounts figured out next.

I am having a hard time coming up with where I want to mount the transmission and power steering cooler unit, I got a fan cooled dual unit and everywhere I think about mounting it, it is either in danger of getting hit, way out in the open, too confined, or I think it will look like shit. I was also trying to keep it close to the front to limit the length of the lines to it but.....

Ignore the mess, my garage has about 4 projects going on by 3 different people and looks worse than an active war zone right now . I am really looking forward to one of them though. We are putting a 3.7 from a CX-9 (same engine as in the 2012 up mustangs) into a 91 B2200 coupled to a mustang 6 speed, going to be a hell of a ride.

Full drop to test out the steering line length

Console back in and working on laying in the engine harness.

This is what I will be going with on the belt routing. Throttle body pulled back off to build a bracket for the throttle cable.

One possibility for the fluid coolers, just not really liking it though...

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.