64 Scout......Expedition Truck - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I now have all the parts for the poormans lift, will start it tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Started on the lift today at the front...yes that's Ruthie my wife. I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that likes IH's as much as me and likes to work on them too.

Frame plates are installed first, bolted, and heavily tacked. I will finish weld them when I'm done with the whole lift and then painted. The shackles went on next and new KYB's. I've ordered the correct length KYB shocks for front and rear and will change them when they come in. The stock shocks will work for a mall crawler but will get destroyed four wheelin. It was 3pm when we got it back together and fixed the upper shock mounts. There has been some interesting things done to it in the past.

I will get better pics tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Take your grinder, if you don't have one go buy one, and knock the spring hangers back off the frame. Then clean up the weld area and put them back on.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jemarshall; 11-03-2016 at 05:19 PM.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarshall View Post
Take your grinder, if you don't have one go buy one, and knock the spring hangers back off the frame. Then clean up the weld area and put them back on.
You cant see it in the pic but the area around factory mount was cleaned to good steel. The plates are larger than the factory mount by 1/4" at there smallest dimension. I need to trim at least 1/4" to 3/8" off the top of the plates before final welding. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 235208
The hard work is done on the "poormans" lift now and I'm pleased with the results....

before

and after

The frame plates need to be trimmed and finished welded but are welded to the factory brackets on the inside. If I were to do this again I would move the new mounting location 3/8" forward, or rearward depending on the location, to push the spring out a little more for more shackle angle, especially for the rear. I expect the rear shackle angle to be better when done cause there isnt any load on the rear right now and there will be gear in the bed when used. I replaced the rear springs with ones that I had that were just in better condition and had a little more arch to them....thus the slight "stink-bug" stance.

I also installed 1.5" wheel spacers on the rear since the Waggy 44 was a narrow track unit.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 249234
Love this build so far.. I haven't been on the site for quite some time.. I have some catching up to do.. haha.. Quick question.. What is your gas out of? I've been trying to figure out what to use for mine and that looks like what I need..
GMScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScout View Post
Love this build so far.. I haven't been on the site for quite some time.. I have some catching up to do.. haha.. Quick question.. What is your gas out of? I've been trying to figure out what to use for mine and that looks like what I need..
If your talking about my fuel tank, its a 20 gallon fuel cell that was laying in the bed when I got it. I will replace it eventually but it works for now.

Last edited by desertscouts; 12-02-2016 at 10:25 PM.
desertscouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #58 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Quote:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/inter...l#post33430570

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/inter...l#post37460682

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 249234
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertscouts View Post
If your talking about my fuel tank, its a 20 gallon fuel cell that was laying in the bed when I got it. I will replace it eventually but it works for now.
Ha.. no.. Sorry I missed a word.. I'm inquiring about the gas PEDAL..lol..
GMScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Ha.. no.. Sorry I missed a word.. I'm inquiring about the gas PEDAL..lol..

Chevy square body
Old 12-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 385346
Always loved Scouts, now I want one......
Subsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsrule View Post
Always loved Scouts, now I want one......
thats why I have 2
Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Beater had a new noise since the lift...a sorta song. Turns out the E-brake cable is rubbing on driveshaft and causing the "song". So I flipped the pull rod to the bottom of the swing bracket and made a tether out of steel rod to keep the cable away from the driveshaft. It does what its designed to and the brake works fine.

1 noise down 27 to go.......

Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Now that winter is here a few things needed fixin. First up was the leaky exhaust system. A little cut and splice along with a new flange gasket, and adding another hanger later. It's amazing how much quieter it is now, I still get a wiff now and then but I still have some holes to fix. The stock heater seems to work pretty good but I need to add the heat valve and control cable to be able to shut the water off and on from inside the cab. The windshield hinge leaks like a sieve in the rain and I haven't got to it yet.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 235208
It has always "marked" its spot, but has been a bit excessive lately. It turns out that my Tcase has alot of slop in the yokes. I was hoping to do a reseal but it really should get rebuilt. So I will be pulling the trans/Tcase out of my 64 which is nice and tight and has minimal leakage and throw them in to keep him a DD. My intent is to rebuild the combo and put them back in this summer.

Oh Boy!!
Old 03-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I got home early yesterday and started prepping the 64 to pull the trans/Tcase to go in Beater. Pulled the top cover on the T90 and the inside looks to be in pretty good condition, full of oil and no chipped teeth are evident.

Since I don't have a hoist at home it has to come out the bottom and I have to lift the Scout high enough to drag them out from under it, so the shift levers have to come off. I wanted to keep anything from getting inside the trans so I made an ABS plate to bolt in place of the shift tower to keep it sealed up during the job. Other than draining fluids and pulling the front driveshaft out, it's ready to pull.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 231410
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertscouts View Post
I got home early yesterday and started prepping the 64 to pull the trans/Tcase to go in Beater. Pulled the top cover on the T90 and the inside looks to be in pretty good condition, full of oil and no chipped teeth are evident.

Since I don't have a hoist at home it has to come out the bottom and I have to lift the Scout high enough to drag them out from under it, so the shift levers have to come off. I wanted to keep anything from getting inside the trans so I made an ABS plate to bolt in place of the shift tower to keep it sealed up during the job. Other than draining fluids and pulling the front driveshaft out, it's ready to pull.

Good thinking
vicp21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicp21 View Post
Good thinking
every now and then............
Old 03-12-2017, 03:02 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 502601
You wouldn't consider pulling it out from the top? It's heavy with both g'box and t'case together but you could maybe get some help.
I usually seperate mine if they have to come out. A hoist would be cool, but not on the $$$ agenda any time soon.
1OLD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1OLD4X4 View Post
You wouldn't consider pulling it out from the top? It's heavy with both g'box and t'case together but you could maybe get some help.
I usually seperate mine if they have to come out. A hoist would be cool, but not on the $$$ agenda any time soon.
Not possible for a hoist where its at, and its a PITA to separate them when the rear bearing retainer for the trans is the Tcase. Should be pretty simple, I have a wooden gantry that I'll hang the winch on to lower it. Drag it out from under it on a steel drip pan. Use said gantry to lift it into the back of Beater...get it to the shop and use the lift and trans jack to swap units and drive home.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Found a rental yard that has a small hoist for $25.00 a day that comes apart into 6 pieces for easy transport, so I got busy today and prepped and pulled the trans/Tcase out of Beater and Wilma. Beaters stuff is on a roll cart now and will be torn down for rebuilding later. The swap units are on the hoist ready for install in the morning, I ran out of light and energy. I did swap the T/O bearing from the 64, Beaters was chattering and it was just plumb wore out. The clutch isn't to bad looks to have about another year left on it...I will have to start saving for a new one.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Awwww CRAP!!

Somehow the pilot bearing came loose and is wedged behind the friction plate. No big deal really except that I dont have the alignment tool for a 4cyl, got one on the way and will have it done before the weekend I think.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 235208
FINALLY got the trans in today, remember when I said I had the alignment tool on the way (a week ago)...I guess I never paid for it and it just stayed in my basket. Figured that out on Sunday, the tool came in today and I pulled the clutch. Good thing I had a new pilot bearing the one that was in there along with the T/O were trash. The plate doesn't look to bad, probably about 1/2 worn, so I'm not gunna worry about it for awhile. After putting the clutch back together with the tool the trans slide right in. I still have to drain and replace fluids, change a few gaskets, and put the interior back together, I will finish tomorrow since it's raining now.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 235208
DONE, back together and it moves under its own power again. I have to say it's odd to not hear the the "I'm worn out" noises from the trans/Tcase/clutch anymore, I even got a $14.99 seat cover from Walmart!!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Getting it ready for I.H.W.R. in April, got my FTM-350 ham radio mounted and working with a cheapo mag-mount antenna for now. I will have to save some pennies and get a good antenna soon. I also fixed my cup holders today they work great on a soda size can but the cup was so tall the larger travel cups didn't reach the bottom so I cut them down an inch or so. I need to move some cables and switches around so they don't interfere with the giant travel cup that I use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.