64 Scout......Expedition Truck - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Scout......Expedition Truck

So today I bought a friends project Scout, it has got better bones than my present one and is the body I tried to find with the improved heater/vent system.

As she sits.....196, T90, D18, Flanged D44 rear, D27, rebuild brake system with dual MC, tanks already done, runs and drive for the most part, full top, and not a lot of rust. It appears that all the electrical works along with all the gauges.

As it was found

Where its at

The plan is to make an expedition vehicle out of it and it will be my DD. Thats the plan for now.....I have to do an assessment of it in the next few days and figure out a game plan.

Last edited by desertscouts; 12-04-2015 at 04:49 PM.
desertscouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I took over a project from a local friend who needed to sell his baby....Wilma, that's what he named her and that's what she'll be called. She will be turned into a solid expedition rig equipped to do almost anything......well that's the plan anyhow. The deal done, I drove her to my house with my wife behind me and there she sat for the night. I figure between the 2 Scouts I can make 1 REALLY decent 1.

Today was the start of the "assessment"

She didn't run very well and I narrowed it down to the carb, changed it with a "known good" one and wa-la............she runs like a top now. There is a knock on deceleration only and it sounds like its on #2. I also have pulsing oil pressure by the gauge...I didn't run it for a long time to see if it quiets down cause I am still into the assessment phase to make a game plan and haven't checked the rest of her fluids. The trans is a bit noisy and all the mounts (engine/trans) are trash and need to be changed. It drives like the spring bushings are toast also, and it needs new body mounts. All the cables, choke, throttle, and heater have been cut, the only one that will need to be replaced is the heater. The others will not be used, although I may want the dead-mans throttle. The original wiring all seems to work as do the gauges, factory and aftermarket. I don't know if the gauge pod that is where the radio goes is a home built or some weird accessory that was available back in the day, but I like it and will use it in the build. It has some weird pedestals for the seats that are WAY to tall and the seats are trashed, but I have some good buckets that I can use and I will just have to figure out the mounting.

The plan.......

Take her to the shop and pull the body off the frame and replace the body mounts while adding a 1" body lift for the needed clearance for tires and the taller 196 engine, so I can work on it and not have to modify the firewall. I may use the 196 that's in the 63 cause I know its in great condition and it is already modified for unleaded fuel. Suspension will be handled by lift springs, possibly CJ 4" lift springs or the CPT 2.5" springs, I haven't decided yet, and I will stay SUA. For now I will keep the D27 in the front while looking for a front Waggy or SII D44 with disc brakes to replace it with in the future.

That's all for now!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I made all the arrangements today at the shop and did a bit of cleaning/moving of stuff so that she will be out of the way but easy to work on. I think that I'm going to put the body up on saw horses and make some plywood wheels so that the frame will be as low as possible to roll out from under the body. I plan on pulling the drivetrain out of the frame along with the axles and springs. Then clean the frame up and paint it while its apart. I have decided to use the 196 from the 63 I know that its unleaded ready and has great compression. Right now I'm setup to move her on Monday up to the shop....hopefully it will only be a few weeks till she is back together and maybe even a driver. I will know more after I start getting her apart.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
looking forward to this one.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Thanks Guido.....

It should be fun
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 235208
No pics today, ended up being a LOOOONG day...will get some tomorrow. Today she went to the shop via AAA, I was going to change tires with the 63 and drive her, but both the engine mounts are trashed and the engine is leaning passenger and forward. So I decided it was better to tow her the 30 miles...that ended up taking up the better part of the day. I guess a vehicle tow to a shop that's not broke down on the highway isn't a real high priority.

what a waste of a day.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I have been going over her with a fine tooth comb for the past few days to get a really good idea of what she needs...and the news is good and bad!

At one time in her life she got hit in the left front pretty hard. It has done some serious damage to the inner fender well, tore a hole in the vent system, bent the front springs, almost tore a bump stop off, and bent the frame.

As for the rest of her she needs to be rewired, floor pans replaced, drivers rocker replaced, and some rust holes in the kick panels fixed. The rest of her body seems to be in pretty good shape for her age. The rear D44 I think is from an SJ Wagoneer cause the pumpkin is offset to the passenger side. There both geared at 4.27 and the D27 in the front needs some attention on the wheel side, cause there is a lot of movement at the wheels. Could be bearings and/or kingpins.

Now all that is fixable, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to put forth the effort at this time, the frame alone is going to cost $500+ to get fixed. It's not bent bad, but it is bent slightly to the passenger side. It is straight however from the foot well body mounts back to the rear. So all progress has been stopped till I figure out what I'm going to do with her. I may just cut my losses and use whatever parts I can on the 63 and then put her on the back 40 at the shop till later on down the road.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Wilma is officially downed and being saved for a later project....at least the body is....there may be some parts available in the near future.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So the plans to build an Expedition Scout haven't changed...just the base unit has.

After accessing both vehicles we decided to use the 63 P/U for the build. We have done a lot of work to it and it has the best engine and a straight frame. The SJ Wagoneer rear D44 will be used and changed to a 4.88 gear set to match the D27, that is in great condition and presently in the 63. I will eventually change to a disc brake D44 for the front and power steering. There are a lot of parts that will be used from the 64, the trans and T-case are in better condition than the 63's along with a good steering box and a complete E-brake system. So for now I will be swapping parts from one to another while finishing the wiper and heater systems on the 63. I took the lift gate from the 64 and mounted it to the custom P/U top that I made. It was in MUCH better condition than the one I had and the "patina" matches the top....lol. Starting Monday I will start stripping parts from the 64 for the build.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42265
Great to see someone take an 80 series in this direction-I've been turning a 1948 Willys truck into my backcountry/expedition vehicle and have learned to appreciate some of the upgrades IH did that make them better candidates for upgrades than older Willys, such as steering, motors and frame.

One problem area I noticed on my 1962 Scout was the doors-they were fine when I got the truck but after a few years of backroads and they sagged and never opened or closed well again. If you plan on doing the same and are doing welding etc it may be good business to reinforce the floor/body mount and post that the hinges hang on.

Will be following, good luck
Old 12-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Thanks elminero67 for the insight
I will be doing a complete cage for the inside of the P/U and now will add tie-ins to the body to try and prevent that.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
What other plans you got to make it more expeditionary? Reliability, strength, and easy to fix are high on the list for me if you are 1,000 miles from nowhere.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
What other plans you got to make it more expeditionary?
Hmmmm lets explore, my bed measures 5' wide by 4' long after the cab stretch. I'm getting pretty serious about a 5'x7' platform for a dome tent and nice queen air mattress. While in "drive" position it would fold over itself and lock together, kinda like a hard bed cover. Done right it can double as a lockable storage when stowed. That leaves the whole bed for supplies and camping gear.

Quote:
Reliability, strength, and easy to fix are high on the list for me if you are 1,000 miles from nowhere.
The IH stuff is pretty reliable and I expect the 196 to have at the least 150K left in her. I would like to fab a T19 to it to get a granny gear and the D18 is a proven T-case with a Tera Low kit in it. Waggy 44's front and rear is the plan for axles and nothing bigger than 35/12.50-15's, but I doubt the 196 could handle them so I'm trying it with 33/10.50-15's. It wont win any races but it will chug right along.

Besides.....the whole idea is to explore, and you cant do that fast.

Last edited by desertscouts; 12-06-2015 at 05:29 PM.
desertscouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Today I did the cooling/heating system. The radiator in Beater wasn't the right one and was butched in and the 64's worked perfectly. So now I have a stock radiator, a new Robert Shaw 180* T-stat, and a plumbed heater. Need to do some hole patching, a little electrical work, and install the re-bent GM gas pedal and its good for a local driver....with heat!!!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertscouts View Post
It wont win any races but it will chug right along. Besides.....the whole idea is to explore, and you cant do that fast.
True.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I finished the GM gas pedal and redid the throttle linkage. While doing that I found the secondary linkage was assembled wrong and wasn't really working at all. Now that its hooked up correctly I have some tuning to do.

My tires came in today too, so I popped over there and had them mounted. Got back home and have a clearance problem on the passenger side front, its 2" closer than the drivers side, I will have to "pull" on the fender a bit with a ratchet strap while using a hammer to relieve the steel....lol. Then while backing out of the driveway I heard a weird metal noise, my muffler fell off. Fixed that too.

I will end up trimming the fenders a bit if needed, but at least I can drive it now....that RF tire was SCARY LOOKIN...a blowout waiting to happen!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Took a 2x4 to the PF wheel well this morning and added another 1.5" of clearance for the tire. I hit the exhaust pipe when turning right so I will have to redo the exhaust soon. Went for a drive and no more fender rub on every bump anymore and picked up a cheap single speed blower motor, the one that was in there did nothing but scream. I'll see if a single speed works for the winter it really doesn't matter cause its temporary for this winter. The location of the 63 heater sitting on the drivers fender is in the way for the hydro assist brakes in the plan. I will update to the 64 heater/defroster system and keep the 63 vent system. I also added a shut-off to the heater so that I have a vent system too. patched the holes in the floor for the old throttle linkage, just made a patch panel and bolted it in.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Today I ran all over hell collecting parts and supplies and I now have windshield wipers!! They are the stock vacuum ones but they work perfectly and I replumbed the system with new 1/4"id clear tubing. I'm just hooked up to manifold vacuum for now, at least they work. I will make a vacuum canister and I found a small 12v vacuum pump for $14.00 that I will use when more vacuum is needed. I had them and time will tell if they will work out for me.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Did some more carb tuning today. Got a good high idle now and readjusted the mixture and idle...purring like a kitten now. Went out running around with the windows up and the heater on, WOW!!! Leaky exhaust is BAD...so I went by a local shop and got steered towards this little shop around the corner. We BS'd about Scouts and put Beater on the rack and cobbed an exhaust system together for now that the tire doesn't hit and discovered the manifold donut is trashed. That will be the next thing to repair on the list now....and he had Scouts himself.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 105936
Quote:

Did you get any more pics of this engine in the 80? It looks to sit like mine does. Same tilt, same main pulley relationship. I'm curious how they handled the firewall mod above the gas pedal.
OC IH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 235208
There was no mods to the firewall yet, the engine was just fitted. There wasn't any coils on the drivers side cover and there wasn't any room for them either.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Installed the new exhaust donut and did a hot torque on it. Man did that thing stink on the first heat cycle! Went for a short drive with the heater off and the windows rolled up......I need to seal up a few more holes and I haven't done the side dump for the exhaust yet, but its not trying to kill me anymore. Went down a frontage road along the 80mph stretch of the 215 through Sun City, at 55 on its speedo I'm good for the slow lane now and Beater seems happy at about 3200 rpm for cruising. I cant wait to change the steering box!
Old 12-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
.and he had Scouts himself.

Though you did a quickie LS swap there for a second, before I realized it was the other black Scout

Last edited by guidolyons; 12-19-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Though you did a quickie LS swap there for a second, before I realized it was the other black Scout
ROFLMAO.......nope, the LS will be for the 64!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I changed the steering box out for the 64's today...WOW!!!! was the old box screwed up! Drives like a dream now...well for a 52 year old truck with no power steering! This box will work for awhile, its in great shape. So now its good while I amass the parts needed for the power steering upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.