Shrek build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
I've heard good recommendations and good reviews about the Toyos. I plan to drive this thing to work a couple days a week and to the trails so wanted something that is pretty nice on the highway as well.

The Deavers are about 48" up front and 57" in back and are matched with 12" and 14" shocks. They were custom designed for a first gen Toyota that ended up weighing close to what this weighs as best I can tell. The shocks were tuned to match by the previous owner - his goal was wheel travel and high speed desert running and from wheeling with him, he was successful. Hoping they perform the same on this rig. Haven't had them off the street yet so can't comment on how they ride on the trail, but they seem pretty compliant and soft on road.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Tires came in and picked them up today, they're big but measure 39" by my ruler. Waiting for the Dynabeads to come next Tuesday so I can mount em up and see if I need to do any more cutting.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #53 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Went on an easy shakedown trip today through Bulldog Canyon near the house. Was about 95F and engine stayed at a reasonable temp, below 210F the whole time. Trans got pretty warm on the trail at low speed, up to almost 220F so might need a cooler. Front driveshaft is touching the exhaust a bit on compression, not sure if a bump stop will take care of it or a dimple or if I'll need to rebuild it. Otherwise, it ran great, even up at 70 mph on the highway for a bit except the old tires are out of balance.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71152
Send a message via AIM to brokenparts Send a message via MSN to brokenparts Send a message via Yahoo to brokenparts
Nice, not bad for a shakedown run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brokenparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #55 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Got the new tires installed late last week and started driving it around. Much better to drive than with the worn out old tires on it. Dynabeads seem to work pretty well, was cruising at 65-70 for 10 minutes or so and it's got a slight vibration that comes and goes. Wouldn't want to do 900 miles in a day in it but for what it is, pretty happy. Wheelwell cuts don't look stupidly large anymore. Had to move the brake lines around a bit to keep the tires from rubbing them at full lock and notices that the front u-joints were slightly binding, so moved the steering stops to keep some clearance there.

Seat belts also arrived so need to get going on those.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #56 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Great job man. The stance looks good and you will like the Toyo's. I have them on my rig and they are a damned tough all around tire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
First rock crawling run for the Scout. Ran lower Ajax which is pretty easy, but the optional lines are pretty interesting and flexed it out pretty good. The fenderwells look too big in the driveway, but I'll actually need to cut them out just a bit more. Got some rubbing under full compression

Old 10-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71152
Send a message via AIM to brokenparts Send a message via MSN to brokenparts Send a message via Yahoo to brokenparts
Looks so stinkin good. Looks like it has pretty good flex too.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #59 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Thanks! Flex came out pretty good, makes driving some of the off camber spots more comfortable for sure when you're not teetering around.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Seat belts arrived and got them partially installed yesterday. Will feel nice having a shoulder belt to keep the face away from steering wheel or cage if I happen to get hit from the front. Felt very exposed with just a lap belt.

Here's the overall view.

Standoff buckles.

Closeup of the shoulder belt mount, same as the mount for the retractor. Still need to get the pair of mounts for the other side and obviously weld them in place.

Last edited by JRC; 10-30-2016 at 10:23 PM.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 84643
Awesome Build!
GreBeard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 193236
you make me jealous :P

awesome build!

got any pictures of the underside with the exhaust done?
1dirtyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Got this shot of the underside on Firehole on Woodpecker mine trail yesterday. You can see the exhaust somewhat in this shot.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71152
Such a sexy beast. Love it.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Tacked some bump stops in. After we flexed it out with a forklift, looks like I can take an inch off the back ones and need to add a half inch to the fronts to protect the shocks.

Belly pan made from 3/16" plate. Was hoping to get it fully flat but just couldn't rotate the t-case enough. This is the compromise and only hangs about 1-2" down. With the ramps, shouldn't hang up too much.

Belly pan on the truck. Used pieces of angle iron welded to the inside of the frame to bolt it on and a couple button head bolts to the cross member. Also needed to notch it where the front driveshaft droops.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Ran Log Corral trail over Thanksgiving and had fun on the wall by the rock garden.

Lots of downhill heading to Bartlett lake down wash and noticed some noise from up front when the engine was providing braking. Took a look underneath and found when the t-case rotated a bit, front driveshaft was touching the crossmember. Notched it and it clears fine now.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
After opening up the wheelwells to clear the 40's, decided to call in an expert to help close them up. Tanner over at LambFab stepped in and did the work for me. Really happy with how they turned out. Bought a pair of dragster tubs online and started with those. He also built a cover for the rear shocks and closed up the front fenderwells.

While it was in the shop, we put it on the forklift to check travel and see if the fenderwells cleared the tires okay.

While it was twisted up, Tanner noticed a small crack in the drivers side frame close to where I welded the spring hangers on. Didn't seem too bad but when I looked at the passenger side, discovered more cracking.

The root cause of the passenger side cracking seems to be due to whoever did the shackle reversal. They cut a chunk out of the frame and replaced it with 0.045 sheetmetal.

Cut that section out of the frame and fit a piece of 1/8" steel in and welded it in then ground it smooth.

Next, added more plates on the bottom and inside of the frame for 2-3' to give it some rigidity.

Also added a brace from the outside edge of the spring hanger to the top of the shock tower.

Still need to add a brace to connect the top of the shock towers together to keep the frame from twisting up front as well and probably add another brace from the shock tower to the front part of the frame. Also welded up all the factory welds on the frame - didn't look like they were very strong either.

Last edited by JRC; 03-19-2017 at 10:07 PM.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Right after getting the frame shored up, took it out on Woodpecker mine trail yesterday with my son's 85 4Runner. They've graded part of it for an active mine but Firehole is still there and a few other fun obstacles. One benefit of being wide is that Firehole isn't nearly as intimidating.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Great progress. Scout looks great.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #70 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Spent most of the spring just driving it and enjoying and finally getting back to work on it. Went up the the AZ IH Rendezvous last weekend and saw it was going to be 105F or so coming back Sunday night, so fabbed up a little coolant recovery tank. Bought one but it's really too big to fit where I wanted it right by the radiator cap.

They had a ramp set up so had to give it a try. Came in second behind a buggied Travellall with a linked rear suspension.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #71 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Even at 100F+ coming back from Payson and climbing the 7% Slate creek grade for a few miles it only went up to 215F. Interior is not sealed up very well and had a blast furnace on my legs most of the way back so decided to get the interior done. A friend at work gave me a bunch of heat/sound insulation leftover from his 4Runner so got that installed this weekend. Next step is to put the carpet in.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #72 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
I see a lot of guys with the Winters shifters like I have. I didn't use the plastic mount that it came with but kind of sank it into the floor. What I didn't foresee was that hot air now comes up through the shifter and into the cab and gets the shifter so hot you can barely touch it.

Has anyone come up with a way to seal it up? Thinking of some sort of box underneath to close it up. Maybe I should have just used the original mount and I wouldn't have this problem now, but I didn't like how the cable went through the floor that way.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
JRC
Wheeler

Member # 24914
Drove it up to Snowbowl ski area to hike Humphrey's peak after the Rendezvous - trailhead is at 9,600'. Ran and started well, glad to have an EFI engine for the high altitude stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.