Pirate 4x4 banner

What springs for a 79 scout II?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  90WAG 
#1 ·
What springs for a 79 scout II? It still has a spring under. Not looking to do a spring over. We may in the back. Just looking for enough lift to put on 33's. How much lift do you need to put on 33's? I was thinking about 4" and cut the fenders some. Thanks for your help.

#3 ·
Just about any springs available for a Scout II will work just fine. 4" is the tallest your going to get with out going custom.

Do a search HERE for "lift springs" and you can spend some quality time learning the "pro's and cons" and issues with the various kits.

Your tire fitment it there as well as is your steering. But short answer: 4" is barely adequate for good 33" tires, and will more than likely rub when hard off-road. You will need more lift, body lift, trimming and/or lowering your bumps stops.

Short answer on steering: 4" spring lift does not *require* any steering correction.

SEARCH!!

#4 · (Edited)
I have two and a half inch add a leaves in the back and a three inch body lift with 33 x12.50 15 pro comps but they rub jsut a little under full compression. Rubs hard though if im turning and stuffing in the front, guess its just my fat ass. Although this weekend im picking up a 14 bolt ff and dana 44 3/4 ton to toss under there, crappy part is I already jumped on a deal and scored brand new 33x12.5 15 tsl's for less than 400....errr

edit: going soa of course 33's are good for suzkies and little uns like that. Oh and the 3 inch body made me lose the fan shroud and lower my steering bracket connected to the firewall 3 inches but no biggie:D

#7 ·
4runninghank said:
What springs for a 79 scout II? It still has a spring under. Not looking to do a spring over. We may in the back. Just looking for enough lift to put on 33's. How much lift do you need to put on 33's? I was thinking about 4" and cut the fenders some. Thanks for your help.
You'll need to cut to run 33s with the 4" lift, as Rusty said.

If you're going to cut.. why lift at all? 38" Boggers fit without a lift, if you're handy with the sawzall.

I ran 4" front/rear with 2" shackles in back.. 33s rubbed a lot.. trimmed a little.. rubbed a lot still.. SOA'd the rear with stock springs.. still rubbed.. and that didn't help the front one bit, of course.

So I got out the saw. The 36s rub every now and then, but I didn't take as much out as I eventually will.

38s will be close to hitting the firewall. I've had to clearance the rockers back a bit, cut the lower grille, and carved on the backside of the headlight buckets to accomodate the 36s.

#8 ·
Fan Shroud

SnowScoutII said:
I have two and a half inch add a leaves in the back and a three inch body lift with 33 x12.50 15 pro comps but they rub jsut a little under full compression. Rubs hard though if im turning and stuffing in the front, guess its just my fat ass. Although this weekend im picking up a 14 bolt ff and dana 44 3/4 ton to toss under there, crappy part is I already jumped on a deal and scored brand new 33x12.5 15 tsl's for less than 400....errr

edit: going soa of course 33's are good for suzkies and little uns like that. Oh and the 3 inch body made me lose the fan shroud and lower my steering bracket connected to the firewall 3 inches but no biggie:D
Not to digress, but you really need to put the fan shroud back on. Your engine will stay a lot cooler and will be much less susceptible to overheating on the trail with it on.

#9 ·
Yes but with a BL kit you should get the drop brackets. What about doing a 2" shackle lift and a 3" BL? Also cut the fenders up a little. Could 33's sit on there? If I do a 2" shackle do I have to worry about bad drive line angles? Should I worry about breaking an axle with 33's on? I know nothing about scouts so help me out there please. Thanks:D

#10 ·
4runninghank said:
What about doing a 2" shackle lift and a 3" BL?
Just do the 3" BL and skip the shackles.

Could 33's sit on there?
Good chance the 33s will be pretty happy with a 3" BL. Better than if you did a 4" suspension lift.

If I do a 2" shackle do I have to worry about bad drive line angles?
Not only will you have bad driveline angles, but you'll have negative caster and you'll be white-knuckling it at speed to keep it between the ditches.

Should I worry about breaking an axle with 33's on?
I've fragged my share of parts with my 33s.. :D

#15 ·
ChiScouter said:
Hey TSM how about some pics and more info on the trim you did on the back of the headlight buckets

4running its about time you take a trip to the binderbulletin or search here
Well, a SEARCH would've turned 'em up.. :D

Stock

After some work, but before cutting the back of the core support/headlight area.

Here I've cut up/out on the outer lower part of the core/bucket area, without cutting into the boxed section.

When I was done with the initial cut job..

I later cut the rocker back a few inches, and cut the lower valence out below the turn signal housings.

I'm still rubbing against the boxed section behind the headlight area, but I haven't taken more out of it yet.

#18 ·
offroader1006 said:
how far from full steering lock do the tires start rubbing?
Well, sometimes it hits the rocker before it hits the spring.. sometimes it hits the core support before it hits the spring.. :D

But assuming that doesn't happen, it still doesn't turn terribly sharp before the tires catch.

I couldn't get to "full lock" in the steering box with my 33s and it's even less with the 36s.

I've adjusted the stops out some, but not enough yet.. but turning radius has definitely suffered.

Then again, I was told (by ARB faithful) that I'd never be able to turn with the autolocker in the front anyhow.. :D

For the wheeling we have here, I'll trade the turning radius for the big tires, thank you. :)

At least, until the 60 goes in.

#20 ·
4runninghank said:
Wheres the best place to get a BL for a scout? And with 3" and fender triming 33's no much of a problem?
http://onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=216&step=2

Have them cut the rod to 3", use a press to cut the hole, and go buy new body bolts.

remember a body lift put moe torsional load on the body mounts, so if they're not in great shape, you need to fix that first.

actually, you need to be asking this stuff over at BB

NQS

#21 ·
Re: Re: What springs for a 79 scout II?

tsm1mt said:

You'll need to cut to run 33s with the 4" lift, as Rusty said.

If you're going to cut.. why lift at all? 38" Boggers fit without a lift, if you're handy with the sawzall.

I ran 4" front/rear with 2" shackles in back.. 33s rubbed a lot.. trimmed a little.. rubbed a lot still.. SOA'd the rear with stock springs.. still rubbed.. and that didn't help the front one bit, of course.

So I got out the saw. The 36s rub every now and then, but I didn't take as much out as I eventually will.

38s will be close to hitting the firewall. I've had to clearance the rockers back a bit, cut the lower grille, and carved on the backside of the headlight buckets to accomodate the 36s.
Tom, so as it sits in the pics it's 4in springs in the front, SOA w/stock springs & 2" over stock shackles in the rear?

#22 ·
Re: Re: Re: What springs for a 79 scout II?

90WAG said:

Tom, so as it sits in the pics it's 4in springs in the front, SOA w/stock springs & 2" over stock shackles in the rear?
Close. I dumped the extended shackles in the rear when I dumped the 4" springs.

4" Skyjacker fronts, stock shackles.

Stock "XLC" rear leaf springs, stock shackles (or stock length, anyhow) SOA in the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.