Pirate 4x4 banner

What did you do? 3/20 - 3/21

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Binder 
#1 ·
My weekend was HARDCORE! I got back from Livermore, CA Friday night, so I thought I had a huge amount of work to do but all I had to do was put my new diff guard on the front, and replaced the starter. I started to muck around with the e-brake cables but I broke the adjuster bolt :rolleyes: I guess I will look more closely at a t-case brake set up. I also went to the dump and threw away a bunch of yard/tree clippings.

I warned you, I had a hardcore weekend.

Oh yeah and I quit my job and start a new one tomorrow.

#2 ·
Well, over the past two weeks I replaced the starter on my m80, built a battery tray and hold-down for it, then last Saturday I pulled the flanges off the D27 and replaced the key. Now sometime this week I get to take it apart and see if it broke again or if there is something else wrong with the axle. I really need to dump that axle for a d44.
I have pics of the hold-down and will post them soon. Hard core tech!:flipoff2:

#3 ·
Hub tear down axle swap

Tore the hub apart on the passenger side. I twisted the ears off both the inner and outer shafts a mounth or so ago. The hub came apart nice and easy. Pulled the axle out. Only had to do about 30 seconds of grinding on the outer shaft ears and it popped right out, despite the mangled ears. The inner shaft was no problem. It came right out. Got lucky I guess.

Little water in there, but not bad, and I had enough grease on everything I didn't see any rust...

But, now i have to scrounge a new inner shaft, passenger side...

The one I had was for a chevy, evidently... too long, even though I was told it was for a Scout II, and I didn't figure it out until I had already installed the outer stub and ujoint on it... so I have to take it all apart again...

I might just buy a new one from Randy's. The new outer stub I bought seems to have a lot more meat on the ear than my old stock one. Can anyone confirm that? The old ears were pretty mangled, but, just eyeballing the two, the new spicer does seem to be a better shaft...

I had a coupon from Randy's, which is why I went ahead and bought the outer... but I don't know how much a new inner runs, and unless someone confirms that the shafts really are better than stock, I'll just scrounge a used stock one...

Bought a greasable joint for it also.

I also pulled the rear diff cover. Apparently last trip out, I hooked it on something and peeled it back. So, I need to get down to the Pick and Pull and grab a new diff cover....

Guess I will see if they have a heavier gauge front while I am down there.... My front cover is caved in pretty good...

#4 ·
Gen. Nonsense said:

Oh yeah and I quit my job and start a new one tomorrow.
No shit, where you working now?

(I didn't touch my rig this weekend. G/F's sister was in town and I missed the trail run out Charleau Gap.)

#5 · (Edited)
Hooper - the stock front covers are supposedly a little thicker than stock rears.. so buy two fronts. :D

I spent about 5 minutes wrenching on my Scout this weekend.

I thought I had a shot throwout bearing, since every time I pushed the clutch in, I got a grinding sorta sound.

On a hunch, I crawled underneath Sunday and took a quick look-see.. and then fixed my "shot throwout bearing" with my praybar.

I think the nylon bellcrank bushings are getting sloppy, and/or it's time to pack the bellcrank full of grease again. The whole assembly had walked over to one side, and when I pushed the clutch in, I was hitting the exhaust, transmitting any transmission vibration into the exhaust, making Bad Loud Sounds.

Whew.. that was a cheap fix!

The rest of the weekend (just like the previous) was sacrificed to the shop. Luckily, my wife, Michelle, was a huge help again.

All day Sat, all day Sunday.. we pretended to be Binder and broke out the taping knives, sanders, and about 7 gallons of mud and got the second (and FINAL.. it's a shop..) coat on.

Even got Michelle to wield the camera for a change and get a picture of me working.. 'course, she waited until I was sitting on the ladder working the window sill..

The only pictures of the shop floor being scrubbed and painted are with Michelle wielding the roller.. someone might think I just work her all of the time. :D

Ran out Sunday afternoon and bought another air compressor from the paper.

3hp motor, on what was a 2hp SpeedAir that's about 20 years old. Tank on it has a leak..

But it came with this 5' tall guy..

I'm considering putting the air tank in the attic, at the opposite end of the shop from the air compressors as a buffer/expansion area to collect the water in the system.

'cept I have just over 5' of head room down the center.. so my choices are pretty limited. :D

I need to plumb my air system tonight / tomorrow night so I can tape around the air line holes, then we can use the sprayer I borrowed from a club member to put down some paint, then finish installing outlets, then pegboard and shelves (yes, cover up the drywall work and paint).. then start moving crap.

As far as the Air Comp itself.. I wanted a 6-7hp cheap 60gal upright to add with my 5hp 30gal 220 horizontal for "gross overkill".. might plumb this 2 or 3hp setup (~5cfm "no load" at 125psi I guess) into the air system..

But if I don't, the $75 bought me a nice 1725rpm 3hp 220 industrial continous duty electric motor (16amps @ 220 or 32amps @ 110.. not an overly optimistic 5hp cheapie that runs on a 15amp 110 circuit) for my hydro-bender. :D

Looking forward to calling this year-long shop-finishing project done.. NOT looking forward to moving all of my junk though.

#7 ·
Tom- shop looks good.:cool:

Myself I went wheeling. Hooked up with Scoutilac. Had a nice relaxing day of wheeling.
My new engine runs pretty much like crap, couldn't leak oil much faster. Overheated both engine and trans several times and the kicker is I broke my Klune V gearbox. Now I only have high range.:( How on earth do you guys wheel with 2:1 gears? I don't remember it sucking so badly. I guess I'm just spoiled.

Even after all that it was still a good day of wheeling.:)

#8 · (Edited)
Binder said:
Thanks!

We hired my mom's neighbor, a retired drywall guy to do the initial tape n' mud for 2 bills. Then Michelle decided we needed to make the shop look nicer, so it might match the house better (as far as "appearance/quality") so, should we sell out to some yuppie or wealthy retiree, we can soak 'em for more dough..

About halfway through sanding the tape coat a bit, she started to rethink that idea. :D

Not too rough of a job, though.. just time consuming for we amateurs.. glad we let Ed do the taping. Throwing another coat on was pretty easy. :D

My new engine runs pretty much like crap, couldn't leak oil much faster.
Bummer. :( I thought the IH motors were supposed to leak.. maybe it's a Chevy-in-an-IH thing? :D

Overheated both engine and trans several times and the kicker is I broke my Klune V gearbox.
:eek: :eek:

How do you do *that*? You're running the Goliath 2.72 box, right?

Sounds expensive. :(

Now I only have high range.:( How on earth do you guys wheel with 2:1 gears? I don't remember it sucking so badly. I guess I'm just spoiled.
We idle.. or just use more foot and forget about the idling bit. :D

#9 ·
I think I've found most if not all of the oil leak issues. The worst one was a bolt hole going into the fuel pump area is threaded all the way into the crank case. I didn't notice this until yesterday.
I didn't do anything that should have broken the klune. I've certainly abused it much worse in the past than I did yesterday. It must have just been time. I still don't know exactly what broke. I won't take it apart till next week some time.

#10 ·
Air Compressor

tsm1mt said:
Hooper - the stock front covers are supposedly a little thicker than stock rears.. so buy two fronts. :D
Ran out Sunday afternoon and bought another air compressor from the paper.

3hp motor, on what was a 2hp SpeedAir that's about 20 years old. Tank on it has a leak..

But it came with this 5' tall guy..

That thing looks exactly like the compressor I have in my garage....

#11 ·
Klune

Binder said:
I think I've found most if not all of the oil leak issues. The worst one was a bolt hole going into the fuel pump area is threaded all the way into the crank case. I didn't notice this until yesterday.
I didn't do anything that should have broken the klune. I've certainly abused it much worse in the past than I did yesterday. It must have just been time. I still don't know exactly what broke. I won't take it apart till next week some time.
Ouch. I agree, it sounds expensive!!

So, you had to use finesse, and skill to wheel, instead of just point and shoot? <chuckle>

Momentum can be your friend... but it can also be your worst enemy. Just ask my front axle... :D

#12 ·
Re: Air Compressor

Hooper said:

That thing looks exactly like the compressor I have in my garage....
It's a cute little guy. :D

I'm putting my current 5hp 220 Sears oiled unit up over the powder coating oven. It does most of what I want to do, and it'll run the die grinder non-stop, but never cycles and gets kinda warm.. so this little unit might help out when porting heads, though I may still be short on HVLP.

That's why I wanted a 6-7hp 60gal upright to add to the mix.. between that and my 5hp, I'd be done.. easily.

But.. for the price.. even if I just gut it and use the motor, I made out pretty good. :D

#13 · (Edited)
Purchased a 14 bolt ff rear, and a 3/4 ton dana 44 front. Gonna leave the rear alone and get some crome molys fro the front, Full size here we come!:D

Edit: Oh and for my birthday I got the International Truck service Manual (cts-2304) about as thick as a dictionary and with even more pages :D :D

#17 ·
ChiScouter said:
Tom do some research before you gang up the compressers, IIRC when we ganged up compressers to run a big sandblaster there was some special plumbing involved to keep the compressers from fighting each other. Maybe a checkvalve or something
Hmm.. I've been running two compressors tandem for two years now with no apparent ill effects.

I run my 5hp 220 2cyl single-stage into my 1hp 220 2-stage and then out of the 1hp's tank to the regulator and a long hose to whatever I'm working on.

When porting the heads on my 392, the 5hp would run constantly, and if I worked constant enough with the die grinder, the 1hp would kick in for a while. I had the switches staggered so the 1hp only came on when things got fairly low, and shut off around 100psi or so, before the 5hp would shut off at 125.

In any case, no problems.. I could grind as long as I wanted - or as long as I felt comfortable getting the compressor hot.

Much better than the 345 heads, when I only had the 1hp.. that poor thing ran continously for hours.. wait until it just about hit the shut-off, then start porting.. and work it until the grinder quit.. then wait until the needle creeped back up on 125 and hit it again. :D

Probably why it took 6 weeks to port 2 heads for the 345.. and one week for the 392 heads. :)

#18 ·
Binder said:

Myself I went wheeling. Hooked up with Scoutilac. Had a nice relaxing day of wheeling.
My new engine runs pretty much like crap, couldn't leak oil much faster. Overheated both engine and trans several times and the kicker is I broke my Klune V gearbox. Now I only have high range.:( How on earth do you guys wheel with 2:1 gears? I don't remember it sucking so badly. I guess I'm just spoiled.

Even after all that it was still a good day of wheeling.:)
Doesnt that klune have a warrenty? Maybe I should run up there and get the 392 before you have second thoughts and swap it back in:D Good luck!

#21 ·
I haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not 100% sure. From talking to Klune on the phone they think fairly sure it was the front part of the planetary cage.
I need to decide if I want to upgrade it to the goliath model. Much stronger but the ratio is 2.72:1.
I always thought that the goliath was stronger just due to the different ratio not having as much leverage on the parts but I've learned that there is much more to it than that.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.