Pirate 4x4 banner

999 gears into 727?

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  txs 
#1 ·
yes i jsut tried searching for about 2 hours but im not good with what magical phrase you need to use

--

i read somwhere i think on this board not bb.org

about switching to a 999 gearset for a lower first gear in the 727 tranny instead of going with a RV gearset--

anyone capable and willing to point me in teh right direction?

#6 ·
The ratio has nothing to do with it being a 999, all 904 derivitives had the lower (2.74 first) after 1982 MY. 999 started with the cordoba 360 production in 75 I think. The lower gear set for 904-999 started in 1980.

#7 ·
i was bidding on a 999/d300 jeep combo here on the east coast on ebay -- it got out of my range while i was sleeping yesterday morning so i didn't get a chance to get sucked in to teh bids good/bad thing it went for less then it was worth but more then i "wanted" to spend right now on something i wont use for 6-8 months anyway

it was a 1986 999 tranny which would have featured the lower gear set and planned on 4:1 the jeep 300 for this winter when i get to that part of the project --

in PM mode i was told the 999 gears for teh most part will owrk some have different pitch and will not work --i dont know if that is the 999's in general or a first gear ratio specifically for that glitch

there is a lot of drag and muscle cars in this area as i live very close to MAPLE GROVE RACEWAY<1/4" dragstrip> -- so i am sure there is soem people in this area who have heard of or performed the gear swap when i gather enough information for it to be useful i'll pass it along

#8 ·
Putting the low ratio 904 gears into a 727 requires some precise machining and or welding, the ready to use variety like A&A and some others sell run about 4-500$. Lot of money for the amount of difference. Could you tell me what you mean by rv gearset? The 727 has only had one ratio since introduction in 1962. Best fonrt carrier for 727 is 5 pinion malable iron 94 and up in the cummins and v-10 trannies, these need resplined for 93 and back output shafts. They make six pinion steel front and rear carriers now for the 48re diesel trannies, but using one of the 6 pin fronts also requires changing the sun gear, drive shell, front annulus gear, and rear clutch plates. If you wish I can explain what is entailed putting the 904 gears into the 727.

#11 ·
txs said:
...the ready to use variety like A&A and some others sell run about 4-500$. Lot of money for the amount of difference.
I've used A&A and Art Carr's parts without anyt problems. I like the low range MUCH better than stock. Sure it doesn't seem like a heck of a lot, but it does make quite a difference (the way it reacts with the TC probably has something to do with it ;) ).

There are also some TF727s that came in actual 1970's RV's that have a 3.0 ratio ~ if you can find them.

Could you tell me what you mean by rv gearset?
The big benifet of the *RV* sets, was not only do you get a lower range, but the ones I get have 4 STEEL planetary gears ~ versus the stock crap that can frag and break.

Also the lower the gears the less it has to work to turn, which means less heat. Between a bolt-in sprag and these gears, you'll have one heck of a sweet trans.

#12 ·
Snoopy, the rv trannies were called A-345s instead of being called 727s. They had spur cut planetarries but the gearsets that went inside the case were still 2.45 low. They had a compounder that bolted to the back that made it a 4speed tranny with direct high and a granny low. The 727 steel front planets were introduced in 96, the cummins were tearing the splines out of the aluminum front carriers. In 94 they changed the spline tooth angle for more strength on the carrier but they were still stripping so there are some 5 pin aluminum carriers out there. I've seen the sets rick sells, he takes the 904 welded steel front carrier and changes the hub that splines onto the 727 output shafts, they machine the gears off the inside of the front 727 annulus , machine the outside off the 904 annulus, press the 2 together and weld it, then graft the front end of the 904 sun gear onto the 727 back half.

#13 ·
txs said:
Do you not understand plain english, Rockslut, read above paragraph slowly and try to absorb the info.

Hey FAWKtard, where in your above"paragaraph" did you discuss gear ratios?????????? I was stating the transmission first gear ratio of the 999 and 727. Pull your head out of your ass and try and read. On second thought, dont post any more..........it just makes you look stupid.

#14 ·
txs said:
Snoopy, the rv trannies were called ......[snip]........onto the 727 back half.
TXS, I'm *VERY* sure we're talking about two different things.

#15 ·
Rockslut,seems to me there is a paragraph there about nothing but gear ratios, as for looking stupid, I am not the one on here making totally false statements. The factory wide ratio or 2.74 gear sets did not exist before 1980. The millions of 904, 998, and 999 trannies made before then in the 20+ years of production all had 2.45 lows.

#16 · (Edited)
txs said:
Rockslut,seems to me there is a paragraph there about nothing but gear ratios, as for looking stupid, I am not the one on here making totally false statements. The factory wide ratio or 2.74 gear sets did not exist before 1980. The millions of 904, 998, and 999 trannies made before then in the 20+ years of production all had 2.45 lows.
You never once stated a ratio in your original post. You never once stated that there was a difference in ratios available. I have searched numerous times and spoke with several different people with tranny knowledge and do NOT agree with your statements about ratios. Do you have a link to anything proving your info????????? I have not found anything stating the 2.45 gears in a 999.

#17 ·
You might take a look at post #6 in this thread. On that info I was working from memory but I have spent 33 years working at the kokomo trans plant. I have engineering change sheets from about 68 through 96 MYs. I also have build sheets for a lot of those years. Build sheets are used on the assembly line and list all variations of trannies built at that time by part#, application and list the different sub assemblies such as three or four plate (or 5 plate some years) front clutch retainer. This info is also a matter of record in the torqueflite field service books, or at least the older books up through the 80s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.