Pirate 4x4 banner

3/27-3-28

1K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  NotQuiteSane 
#1 ·
Found out my travelall was on its overload spring..

Now check this out. At that height, I have 6.5" of uptravel. With a ride height of 26.5-27", 6.5" of uptravel... :cool: :D

That picture isn't the one with the suspension. In order to get such a low height I had to chop the frame .75" in front of the engine mounts and extend the front frame up 14". The front frame rail in front of the radiator is now level with the fan center and valve covers. I should be able to update my thread by the end of this week with a ton of pictures.

And I fixed my digital camera, again. :)

See less See more
#5 ·
I cut the bottle in half. here is a craft project for the whole family...

Go to a refil gas station for propane. When old cylinders expire people just leave them with the station. The stations love to have people haul them off.

Okay, now cut them in half. Drill three holes in the top and bottom to attach them back together with .5-1foot of chain. Instant ******* flower planter. :D

I use that one as a wheel block, jack stand, whatever. Its just a tool of the trade. ;) There are a few pictures of it being used as a wheel block in the build thread.

I don't know what the turning radius will be. I think I have 24-26* of knuckel travel before the tire hits the radius arm. It can turn way more than the deuce steering stop.

But you don't think I'm putting the rear axle at the end of my frame extensions do you? That rear frame is going to be hacked WAY down. ;)

Didn't anyone else do anything? :confused:

#6 ·
Logjam-grant said:

Didn't anyone else do anything? :confused:
Wife n' I painted the shop. So exciting, isn't it?

:D

Saturday I finished stubbing out the air supply system.. Sunday AM we primed..

PM we fogged on the semi-gloss Walmart White...

Soon I start shelving and pegboarding and finish hooking up receptacles and the air regulators and such..

...then the pain of moving.

#9 ·
worked graveyard shift.... Probably go play this week though:p since I fixed a bunch of loose ends last week.. Gas gauge, fuel pump location, boosted power steering pump for hydro-assist, workes like it should now, FAST, tightened belts that have been loose for a few years now:rolleyes: , fixed traction bar Rodends that were broke since last wheelin trip, and last, finally washed it to see all the new dents and scratches, OH WELL.. It is startin to look like the old body already...

#10 ·
Finally got to wheel Saturday morning:D The Scout did "real nice Carl... real nice". My buddy said I actually got air under the front end coming out of this one muddy, rutted mess. Of course there were no cameras on this impromptu (sp) ride. (30 mins. notice):mad: At least I know it will hold together. But now I need to pull the valve covers and see if something is going on, I may have spun it a little too fast.;)

#18 ·
Finally got back to work on the Scout last week..... got the rear part of my cage tacked in. While notching the last tube, hole saw caught and torque of Hole Hawg I was driving it with jerked the handle out of my hand and bent the 3/8" frame of the notcher like it was butter. So, I had to finish the last notch with the torch and clean it up with the grinder. Got to the point where I need to take the top off so I can weld the top sides of the cage joints but didn't have any help until tonight, so I build a battery tray and hold down in the mean time. Tonight saw a fair amount of garage cleaning and pulled the Scout out of the garage to take the top off.... then pulled it back in. Now I can finish welding the cage and gusset/cross-brace it. Here's what I got so far:

#23 ·
ChiScouter said:
TSM you need more wall outlets:flipoff2:
There's at least one on every stud.. some have two.

:D

Should eliminate the need for extension cords and multi-strips to plug in the shop equipment. :D

7 air drops in the shop, too.

6 20amp 220 outlets, only 2 50amp welder outlets, and one 40amp oven outlet..

I'll be quite :mad3: if I find I can't plug something in after all this.. :D

#24 ·
ChiScouter said:
Mechanos, a hole hawg, hole saw and round tubing,........ fawk thats brutality:D
:laughing: Yeah, I know..... but it was the only 1/2" drill I had around to chuck the notcher into. The other 5 or 6 notches I made with that setup worked beautifully. The hole saw loved the cutting speed when I switched the Hole Hawg into low range... but of course that multiplied the torque considerably. Don't know exactly what went wrong on that last notch, but it FUBAR'd the notcher. :flipoff2:

#25 · (Edited)
I went wheeling with a couple guys from over in Medford. We talked about starting a scout club down this way.

came home and worked on the scout. got my transmission dropped. found the source of the whine. pulled the front shaft and now just need to find a lock ring pliers. I'll be in medford next week and they're supposed to have a bearing house.

got a lead from Colin rush on a running sd33 down in eureka. supposedly it was rebuilt but runs like crap. my guess is injectors or timing. he's still looking for the guys number. trying to find a running sd33 that I could drop in and put off doing a rebuild till next summer.

Worked a bit on my chevy front getting it dissassembled. my thoughts right now is to swap the knuckles out from clyde, fab up a bent drag link using tube and my old one (cut 6" or so iff either end and weld) untill I have the coin to do a crossover, then go find a matching 5x5.5 full width rear. I'll still likely have to do gear swaps, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think I should just narrow my front to fit under the scout.

Picked up a HF mig/gas welder for free. guy said it didn't feed. even gave me the papers. 5 year warentee, and only 2 years old. :rolleyes: but i did a little searching and I found this. My guess is one of those solutions will fix the problem. I still haven't even cleaned the cobwebs off it.

listed my thinkpad on ebay, barely get done, and have a freind call me up saying he wants it. so we work out a trade. If it don't sell, he gets it in exchange for fettching my 800 and delivering it behind the barn.

NQS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.