Pirate 4x4 banner

NV4500 into International, here's how...

888 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Monkeyplasm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am preparing to order a set of new input shafts for NV4500 transmissions. I have a quote from the machine shop for complete shafts: polished where needed and hardened. This particular shop already makes other custom-order transmission input shafts (including some for other NV4500 applications), so I'm taking only a slight risk that they won't somehow screw mine up.

These shafts are spec'd with sufficient length to allow their use with the stock IHC bellhousing and an adapter plate between the IHC bellhousing and the NV4500.

This means that you can use all STOCK IHC clutch stuff (disc - pressure plate - throwout bearing - pilot bearing - clutch linkages - etc.)

The other half of the equation is a 1" steel adapter plate from a 4-speed IHC bellhousing to NV4500 transmission.

Please note that there are two main NV4500's out there. You CANNOT use the one with 6.34 first gear. You MUST use one of those that has the 5.61 first gear. You do not need to get one from a Dodge diesel. In fact you're probably better off getting one from a Dodge gas (4x4, duh!) truck because it has a 23 spline output and I **think/believe** that you can use a Jeep Dana 300 to bolt up directly to it. Otherwise you'll need to sort out the transfer case on your own. Travelall/Pickup guys can probably use a 2WD transmission with their divorced transfer cases. I'm going with the dual NP205's from my old IHC 5-speed project.

I recently spent $700 and $800 on two remanufactured NV4500's. Keep in mind this cost as well as any transfer case cost involved.

This setup will move your shifter back by around 3 to 5 inches (estimated). The shifter tower is at the rear of the NV4500 case instead of the front of the case like our T-19s. This means cutting a new hole in your floorboards. If this gets your panties all wadded up, then you can always use Caveman's 700R4 adapter with a chevy bellhousing and a Dodge Diesel transmission for a shorter drivetrain length. But then the clutch linkages and throwout bearing/fork are a pain in the butt. Still, it's a viable alternative. I have one of these setups and may actually build it anyways. I just think the stock everything approach is best so I'll pay for an input shaft to be made.

The machine shop needs 2-3 weeks to get the shafts completed. In the meanwhile, I will have my local machinist set about making the adapter plates.

I am not a business. I am getting two for my own use, and one other fellow wants one as well. If anyone else wants in on this then email or call me. The more ordered, the lower the per-unit price. In the big picture it's not important to me. I'm not making money on this. I just get a slightly cheaper price for each extra piece ordered.

Don't bother if you can't pony up $425 to $500. Custom design and machine work are not cheap. We can lower the cost by $75 to $100 if enough people want them, but I very much doubt that 20 people are going to commit the cash ever, let alone in the next couple weeks.

I'm not going to order a bunch and have them just in case someone wants one. I don't have thousands in disposable cash laying around. I'll probably place the machine work order at then end of next week - April 9th.

Toby Persson

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.