Pirate 4x4 banner

Just purchased a 66 Scout. How do I tell which 4cyl. it has (152 or 196)?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  eyeballer 
#1 ·
This is my first scout and I'm in the dark about this one. Any info would help.

#3 ·
Here ya go straight from BB :flipoff2:
The 4-152 has a shorter stroke than the 4-196. The deck height is therefore shorter on the 4-152 (the surface where the cylinder head sits is closer to the crankshaft).

The simplest "external" ID tip is to look at the oil dipstick tube. The mounting bracket (where it bolts to the cylinder head) has TWO bolt holes:

An upper bolt hole for the taller-decked 4-196,

and a lower bolt hole for the shorter-decked 4-152.

--Since the TOP bracket hole is the one with the threaded bolt-hole behind it, this motor has the TALLER deck, the LONGER stroke, and is therefore a 4-196.

#6 ·
offroader1006 said:
why even bother to ID the engine?

just count the spark plug holes, and if you stop before you get to 8, trash it and get a real motor.
:flipoff2:
That should be your first change...a 196 is gutless with anything over 31's:flipoff2:

The Fleckster Nebies helping Newbuies avaid the wrath of Old Scout and others....How touching
aaawwww..how special, the old bastards throwing in their useless smart ass remarks hahaha:flipoff2:

#7 ·
Jason861 said:

That should be your first change...a 196 is gutless with anything over 31's:flipoff2:

aaawwww..how special, the old bastards throwing in their useless smart ass remarks hahaha:flipoff2:

Hey dickhead, when I first came over from the BB this place was a breath of fresh air. Lots of great tech, straight shooting, new ideas, and no PC. Most of the guys I learned from are no longer posting very much. Their posts are being replaced by newbies asking and answering questions about 4 cyl's and mostly talking stupid bullshit. Its really too bad that this board is becoming more like the BB every day and losing its own identity. I just don't understand why so many people come over here and insist on turning this into a miniature version of the BB. Both boards have their place, lets keep them seperate

#8 ·
196s rip

If the scout is running it will be pretty easy. My 67 w a 196 4spd 4.27 gears will do 65 down the highway with sprung over w 33s on it. I really like 196s. It also gets over 20mpg. Add a weber 2b carb, intake, exhaust, gears, 345 heads, you can make a 196 rip. I have heard 196s on scout 2s don't do as well. If you have a 152 I would find a 196 or you could go larger if mileage is not an issue. I have a Scout 2, 727 torqueflight, 345, sprungover with 35s. I actually prefer to wheel the 67 with the 196. The 345 is a lot more fun on the road. The easiest way to tell if you have a 196 is to look at the vin plate. 196s have a brake horsepower of 110. 152s will say something less. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.