Pirate 4x4 banner

D20 Idler Gear

984 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Logjam-grant 
#1 ·
I just hit my D20 until the idler shaft came out. Now I have a pile of roller bearings and five rings. Any suggestions for putting it back together? I'll probably make a slightly undersized shaft and stick it in there while driving the idler rod back through?

How hard should I have to hit the thing to make it come out? I was giving it some very hard blows with a hammer. Probably took a good 5 minutes of hitting and repositioning.

I am cutting my D20 in half like that cold duck guy a while back.

Man, getting the 1510 flange shaft to bolt up to the small 26 spline D20 is hard. ;) I need to make an adaptor, there are no flange yokes big enough. :mad:

I also can't figure out how to get the front shaft assembly out without pulling a bearing. But I don't really care too much about that half, because like I said its being cut in half. :cool: :p

#2 ·
Logjam-grant said:
I just hit my D20 until the idler shaft came out. Now I have a pile of roller bearings and five rings. Any suggestions for putting it back together? I'll probably make a slightly undersized shaft and stick it in there while driving the idler rod back through?

How hard should I have to hit the thing to make it come out? I was giving it some very hard blows with a hammer. Probably took a good 5 minutes of hitting and repositioning.

I am cutting my D20 in half like that cold duck guy a while back.

Man, getting the 1510 flange shaft to bolt up to the small 26 spline D20 is hard. ;) I need to make an adaptor, there are no flange yokes big enough. :mad:

I also can't figure out how to get the front shaft assembly out without pulling a bearing. But I don't really care too much about that half, because like I said its being cut in half. :cool: :p
That depends...... which way were you driving the shaft? It is designed to be driven rearward and come out of the back of the case. If you tried to drive it out forward, it would take considerably more force to do that.;)

Yup, you have to pull a bearing to disassemble the front output. Actually, it can be done easily by careful placement of a block of wood and tapping the end of the output shaft with a plastic hammer.

As for putting the idler bearings back in, I seem to remember it having 2 thurst washers and 3 bearing spacers and 88 needle bearings. I just smeared the inside of the gear with a coat of vaseline, insert one thin spacer followed by 44 bearings. Then the thick spacer, 44 more bearings and the other thin spacer. The vaseline will hold the bearings in place. I also use a some vaseline on the thrust washers to stick them in place on the case and then drop the gear down between them. Line things up and slide the idler shaft back into place.

#4 ·
Re: Re: D20 Idler Gear

Mechanos said:

That depends...... which way were you driving the shaft? It is designed to be driven rearward and come out of the back of the case. If you tried to drive it out forward, it would take considerably more force to do that.;)

I don't know which way is forward and which way is backwards. I drove it out from the side with the D notch in it. There is a little tab and bolt that hold it in, so I hit it from that side. My NP200 had to come out that way so I just started hitting it. Good news if I was doing it the wrong way, because that thing was hit very hard. ;)

Yup, you have to pull a bearing to disassemble the front output. Actually, it can be done easily by careful placement of a block of wood and tapping the end of the output shaft with a plastic hammer.
Where would I put the wood? I'm having trouble imagining where this wood goes. :) Is it supposed to hold the gear and fork in place? The gear is used to hold the bearing back?

Hey chief...tapping the shaft back in didn't cause all of the bearings to fall out? Maybe I should try inserting my shaft in from the other side...

#5 ·
Re: Re: Re: D20 Idler Gear

Logjam-grant said:

I don't know which way is forward and which way is backwards. I drove it out from the side with the D notch in it. There is a little tab and bolt that hold it in, so I hit it from that side. My NP200 had to come out that way so I just started hitting it. Good news if I was doing it the wrong way, because that thing was hit very hard. ;)

Where would I put the wood? I'm having trouble imagining where this wood goes. :) Is it supposed to hold the gear and fork in place? The gear is used to hold the bearing back?

Hey chief...tapping the shaft back in didn't cause all of the bearings to fall out? Maybe I should try inserting my shaft in from the other side...
It sounds to me like you drove the shaft through the case the wrong way. On a D20, the lock plate that slides into the notch on the idler shaft is on the rearward side of the case. After you remove the lock plate, you go to the OTHER side of the case which is the front, and drive the shaft from the front side out the rear side. The hole in the front of the case is slightly smaller than the one in the rear side of the case. It should slide in by hand and only the last little bit (where you are seating the front end of the shaft into the hole on the front side of the case) should put up any resistance. If you did drive the entire shaft through the smaller hole in the front of the case, inspect the case for any damage and the shaft for any marring of the bearing surface.

#7 ·
Yes, that thing slides in and out nice and smooth from the right side. :rolleyes: No dammage either, technically. There is a little chip taken out of the lip, but that doesn't matter. :) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.