Pirate 4x4 banner

Holley Commander 950 on 304????

949 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Hammerlock 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had run the Commander 950 EFI on a 304 (or any other motor)... specifically a 304 to check fitment. I'm planning on buying an EFI system for my new scout... and projection only goes on 4 barrels without some serious work... so wanted to hear some opinions/fact on the Commander 950 on a 304 2 barrel... thanks in advance!

Matt "Taz" Green

#2 ·
Doable?? Heck, anything is doable if you want.

IIRC, the 950 is their bigger, "4-bbl" unit?? Correct?

First problem I see is that the 304 has no 4-bbl manifold available, you could run an adapter, but the manifolds have very small throttle bores to begin with, so your taking ALLOT of air, and try to cram it threw some pretty tiny holes.

Then you have the size (alluded to above) 950CFI is WAY too much for a 304.

I would think the smaller, 670 2di system would be a much better match, and with a little work, the 2-bbl injection system could be made to fit *OK* on a stock (modified) manifold (they fit better on a 345/392 2-bll manifold).

or it could work just fine... but these are my initial thought on the subject.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Lemme clarify some stuff;

The commander 950 isn't a 950cfm unit. Its simply a different product they make with the name commander 950. the actual EFI is a 2 barrel throttle body style, either in 400cfm or 670cfm.

Even on Holley's tech page, they specify that the 2di Projection has to be put on a 4 barrel manifold.

These systems (commander) are intended for 2 barrel applications...

I spent 30 minutes on hold with Holley trying to get some answers to my questions, but no such luck thus far.

#6 · (Edited)
I was looking at buying a Scout in South Dakota with a 345 and the 950 setup. Guy posts occasionally on BB. PM me and I'll send you his name, or at least try and dig up his Photopost album. IIRC he had trouble initially setting it up but once he had it running right he loved it.
I'll attach a pic of his to this thread.
Maybe one day when I win the lottery I'll get the same setup...
Darel

#8 ·

The picture above is of my scout. I really like the 950 system and has worked flawlessly for 2 yrs. It wasn't hard to setup at all. Just took an afternoon with a laptop driving around. I set it initially and haven't touched it since. I however don't think that it is worth $1300. I purchase mine off ebay (unused) for half that.

If I had a 304 I would would go pull a tbi system off a GM 305 and buy an new harness for it.

#9 ·
The only thing I don't like about the newest Holley TBI's is that the replacement controllers are expensive. Anything electronic will eventually burn out and who wants to spend $650 for a new ECU? That's want summit racing gets for them. If you are pretty well off then the Commander will run great and will take a lot less time then retrofitting a GM TBI (which can be made to run just as well). If want to watch your money than the GM TBI system is the way to go. All the information you need is available on the internet. Just be prepared to burn your own chips or find someone local who will help you.

You probably could do a home grown MPI for the same money but I doubt you'll notice any real world performance increase over the Commander. I could sit here and go on and on about the theoretical advantages of MPI but that doesn't mean JACK in the real world. I doubt anyone could tell you which Scout had the TPI and which had the MPI without popping the hood. OTOH a home grown MPI is not anymore difficult than a GM TBI swap. It just costs slightly more for the additional injectors and manifold machining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.