Pirate 4x4 banner

4/17-18

2K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  TERRA-IZER 
#1 ·
The only wrenching I did on my Scout was on the trail, removing my shock still attached to the ripped U-bolt plate, and wrapping the coil wire in black tape after seeped some magic smoke.. seems it's been abrading on the intake gasket for a few years.

However, instead of wrenching all weekend.. my wife n' I went WHEELING. This was her first real snow-run in her Scout. The only other snow experience was during our Christmas Tree run, which is less trail ride, more bonfire and chili feed.

Here's our group at Park Lake, after doubling back half way (someone left a cell phone behind at one point, so instead of finishing the loop, we back-tracked).

L-R a '78 Bronc-up ("Stubby") on 35s, 'Mog on 38s, my Scout on 36s, and Michelle's "Oscar" on 31x10.50s. Not pictured is a '79 Bronco on 36" Buckshots.

Ironically, Michelle drove the whole way to where we turned around and didn't get stuck once. Then we aired down in anticipation of a little more difficult section of trail, only to turn around instead.. and THEN on the way back the little Scout struggled once or twice. She blames me for airing down the tires. :D

I still think she and her Scout did great, with open diffs and 31s. Stock 1968 Scout 800 issue, aside from the '75 SII close T19. 4.27 gears in the 30 and 44. Now I might have to install my spare wide-box in place of the close T19..

Only carnage to the Scout was the muffler that needed replaced anyhow..

Here's Michelle walking past what was a difficult spot on the way in - everyone kept sliding towards the tree. She took the high line and walked right on by.

I, OTOH, declared I was going into the tree.. and I was right.

I did make it around, but Michelle was running out of my way too quickly to get a picture. :D

Oh, the window regulator rattled out of the window (little clips are shot, time to order new ones) on her driver's door.. so Oscar got to spend the night in the shop, awaiting the window to roll up and the new Thrush Turbo to be welded in place.

Gave me a chance to eyeball how much room I'll have with a Scout in the work bay.

See less See more
#2 ·
I finally took the 15 minutes needed to replace a tie rod end on my two rig ('01 CTD), but it took me 1.5 hours to find the damn thing. :flipoff2: 5th parts store was a charm.... I was beginning to think I'd have to order it.

#3 ·
I built a wire feeder and CV alternator source. 250A@30v 100% and 350A@30v 60%. Running Esab Dual Shield II 70 Ultra with Ar/CO2 mix.

Now I can finish the last rim!

#4 ·
I didn't get to do much on teh scout. I spent most of my time in town babysitting. A freind was hospitalized, and I was watching their daughter part of the time.

I did get teh chevy 44 almost stripped . got a broken ball joint to deal with. I think I am gonna narrow it. did get one brake, when i opened the cover, the tag said 3.73. haven't confirmed that, as it's been snowing off and on, so I had to slap the cover back on till i can check it right.

not 4.10's, but better than the 3.54's in Clyde

NQS

#5 ·
I did some HARDCORE wrenching this weekend.... I finally finished up the "replacement" shafts for my trail junk, slapped it all together and lowered it off the jack-stands for the first time in a couple months....

All which started out tearing the hubs down to investigate a "squeak" which I correctly guessed was wheel bearings.. hmm, maybe I should pull it apart after ALL major water crossings... and not a few months (and runs) later :D :D

then all my current outers and shafts got swapped into another project I got going on, and I finally "upgraded" to Ford outers, new Spicer 706's and welded them in.... Last Friday I test fit the welded shafts, painted them up and slapped it all together after dinner. Only took me 2+ months to accomplish. :rolleyes:

Need to clean up a set or Hub-locks, but I could slap them in in a moments notice and head to the trails if I wanted too... but might do that tonight.

No wheeling for me yet, but I might do a little "yard" wheeling soon :grinpimp: might get to do some this weekend as well :D :D

#6 ·
Ran my TB harness in the Rock Scout. Wired all the switches/relays/ accessories (all 3 of them :) ) Still cant decide on 1bbl or 2bbl for the TB. Waiting for the radiator to come back from the shop. I need to get payed so I can get the dual circut tranny/PS cooler. Race Safe fuel sell should be in this week. Hopefully by then we can fire this bitch up.

All we need now is driveshafts, cage, harness, lifes again :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Wrenching

I did some pretty tame wrenching. I had my passenger hub torn apart to replace the busted axle. Finally got the parts and axle put together, only to find the inner wheel bearing was toast. So, I swapped out the wheel bearings, and put it all back together. I knew as soon as I jacked the tire up, way back when, that the bearings were shot. Serious rumble.

Jacked the driver side up and spun it, but aside from a slightly warped rotor that rubs on the brake pad a bit, it was fine.

Put the new rear diff cover on (thanks scoutillac for help with the parts) and filled the diff with fluid. Had to grind down the cover a bit to match the shaved pumpkin.

Now, I have a spare, albeit bent, diff cover, that I am going to weld strap to, and then weld onto my front diff... which I keep massaging with rocks. Hopefully that will keep my front diff cover off my ring gear...

It was nice to have it back on all fours, and ready to wheel again.

Aside from that, I transplanted 12 sapling firs, 6 big leaf maples, 4 Heavenly Bamboo, mowed the lawn, went to my nephews baseball game, went to my uncle's open house, and took a load of stuff to the dump. Weighed my 1310 and found out it weighs 5050 lbs, with driver... What a lighweight.. ;)

#9 ·
Pickup weights

Ben W said:
I went to the dump too, my '69 1000D weighs 4100 lbs. (304, 4spd, 2wd)
Sheesh.. You are really a lightweight...

Surprises me there is that much difference between our trucks. Mine is a 392 with a TF 727, RA-15 rear, I-Beam front... 2wd also... and I don't weigh *that* much more than you.

Let's see though, is your 4100 with or without driver? Take my 5050, and remove driver, I am down to 4870#... I had an old BW tranny in the bed, figure it is good for, what 250# or so? That puts me down around 4600, so about a 400lb difference... might be the combination of the TF and the 392, plus the RA-15 over the (what do you have in the rear, a 60?) Guess it is just about right....

#12 ·
did some stuff....

got some things done this weekend. on saturday me and my dad painted our boat engine (yea not IH but still) then went over the Back Country Binders and got the rest of my parts i need. got home put em' all on.
got a sawzall and hacked off my old shock mounts. on the passenger side it is almost perfectly smooth, pretty good for a first timer :D . the driver side has a little lip that i couldnt get off but it shouldnt be a problem. spray painted it all black, makes me want to paint the whole frame cause it looks pretty good, but im a lazy SOB so thats not gonna happen! :D
ordered my carb. rebuild kit, could probably go get it today but if you read that last sentence in the above paragraph then you know why i havent got it yet :shaking:
all in all pretty productive :grinpimp:
now just to get some driveshafts....
charlie

#13 ·
Pickup Weights

Ben W said:
Its IFS front, D44 rear. That's w/ driver, and I weigh ~280 lbs. The truck has no options and rusty floors, the bed was empty besides the spare tire. I think the GVWR is something completely lame like 4600 lbs. I'll check when I get home.

OK. It is a handyman type pickup then, a little lighter weight with a lighter payload... makes sense that it weighs less then. Probably axle weight is a huge part of the difference. Wonder where else they shaved weight.... I would expect the cab and bed weights are pretty comparable..

Springs and axles I suppose.

Be interested in what the GVWR is though...

#14 ·
I looked at pictures of my old scout...

Did lots and lots of little projects around my house...

There is an offer pending which as of today is now STI...closing set to be May 20th...and I do not have a place lined up to live yet :eek:

The best part of all of this is though that I will be profiting off of this...which means that I "should" be able to start rig shopping in june or july or later :) :shaking: :evil: OHhhhhhhh the madness will continue.

I also adopted a dog that was left behind in an apartment...need somebody warm at night :grinpimp:

#15 ·
I think I may have gotten my rear brakes to work properly. That's much more of a feat than it sounds. Tore apart my leaky azz steering pump- still fighting that. Still waiting for a gearbox from Cali but should be here probably tomorrow. Need to replace a broken spring center pin and replace a shock.
Might be back on the trail by this weekend. :D

#17 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
I looked at pictures of my old scout...

Did lots and lots of little projects around my house...

There is an offer pending which as of today is now STI...closing set to be May 20th...and I do not have a place lined up to live yet :eek:

The best part of all of this is though that I will be profiting off of this...which means that I "should" be able to start rig shopping in june or july or later :) :shaking: :evil: OHhhhhhhh the madness will continue.

I also adopted a dog that was left behind in an apartment...need somebody warm at night :grinpimp:
Don't forget to hold some of that profit back in a safe place... it's income that hasn't been taxed. Don't want it to bite you in the arse next April...

#21 ·
Hooper said:
OK. Makes sense now. Springs and axles probably make up the difference, although I wonder of the bed on the 1310's were a bit more sturdy to handle the higher payload...
Doubt it.

Your RA-15 probably ways 2-3X what his D44 weights, and the frame is supposedly thicker/bigger.

However, the IFS probably weight the same, if not more than your beam axle. Wheel hubs and breaks are heavier.... So sounds like you guys are about the same.

I weighed my t-lette when I was driving it home, but have long since forgotten the weight.... should weigh it again to compare to Toms... but I think they play funny on the GVW's. IIRC my 1310 t-lette has a gross of like 8400... my 3/4T GMC has a gross of 8600... go figure... probably just "de-rated" it for emissions/license reasons.. It used to be a NASA truck :D

#22 ·
Weights

RustoleumWhite said:
Doubt it.

Your RA-15 probably ways 2-3X what his D44 weights, and the frame is supposedly thicker/bigger.

However, the IFS probably weight the same, if not more than your beam axle. Wheel hubs and breaks are heavier.... So sounds like you guys are about the same.

I weighed my t-lette when I was driving it home, but have long since forgotten the weight.... should weigh it again to compare to Toms... but I think they play funny on the GVW's. IIRC my 1310 t-lette has a gross of like 8400... my 3/4T GMC has a gross of 8600... go figure... probably just "de-rated" it for emissions/license reasons.. It used to be a NASA truck :D
You sure on that Gross? Your 1310 should be more than that. My 1310 GVWR is 10k... at least, that is what I recall... ?? I know the sticker on the side said that. That is why I kept it instead of the 200 that was in better shape (less rust)

#23 ·
Hooper said:
You sure on that Gross? Your 1310 should be more than that. My 1310 GVWR is 10k... at least, that is what I recall... ?? I know the sticker on the side said that. That is why I kept it instead of the 200 that was in better shape (less rust)
If that's the case, BAD MOVE, Pat.

Easier to keep the 200 and swap running gear than fix the rust!

The GVWR is usually decided by the axles and springs, and somewhat by the brakes, and the original tires.

All easily swapped.

Yes, the 3/4 and 1Ts have a stronger frame than the 1/2T, but I think most 3/4 and 1T IHs have the same frame. It's only the 1T 4-doors that stepped up to an even heavier chassis, because of the length.

On my Travelette, IIRC..

OE were some 3180lbs rated bias-ply tires. That's 6,340lbs for a pair.

Rear end has 6,300lbs springs, and a 7,500lbs axle. RAWR is 6,300lbs, limited by the springs.

Front axle is an FA-7 4000lbs front end, with 3800lbs coils, with two 3180lbs tires. The 3800lbs coils are the limiting factor.

'course, 3800 + 6300 = 10,100 not 9,000lbs, but the 9k is the overall. To get there, it also has the 4140 front brakes and HD booster.

My parts 200 had a Dana 60 rear, but the rear springs lacked overloads, so it had a rather low RAWR (I don't remember what). The 60 is a 5,500lbs axle, but the truck was ~7700lbs, IIRC, with a 3500lbs rated D44 front. That's 9k of axles, but a lot less spring.

Anyhow.. if you picked on GVWR, you should've taken the 200 and swapped running gear and had less-rust and the same weight rating.

#24 ·
Motivation

tsm1mt said:
If that's the case, BAD MOVE, Pat.

Easier to keep the 200 and swap running gear than fix the rust!

The GVWR is usually decided by the axles and springs, and somewhat by the brakes, and the original tires.

All easily swapped.

<snip>

Anyhow.. if you picked on GVWR, you should've taken the 200 and swapped running gear and had less-rust and the same weight rating.

Yes, *if* I was concerned about rust. The difference between the two was not great. What rust there is on the one I kept is pretty limited. I had to put a new fender, door, and hood on it. But, otherwise, it is in pretty good shape. Has the usual rust. The kickwell on the passenger side rusted through, so I patched it, but the floorboards are sound. It is developing a couple spots above the windshield. I think the windshield seal is leaking. I will address those when I put the new windshield in, which will probably be next week. Now that my SSII is back running, I can put it outside and bring the white ghost inside to work on again.. address the leaky tranny, put in a new windshield, and prep it for paint... maybe..

Difference being, aside from some minor mechanical tweaking, it fired up and ran, and I could start using it. I did kill the tranny, but that was a relatively cheap fix.

IOW, I could have gone for body, and spent a bunch of time swapping drivetrain/suspension, or I could go for drivetrain/suspension, and worry about fixing small rust problems. I opted for function over form. ;)

Eventually, I can drop another cab on this one, pretty easily I think. But swapping all the drivetrain/suspension stuff would be a bugger....

My wife has agreed that it needs a better paint job. Rustoleum white is OK, but she thinks I want something different. Probably get a maaco paint job or something cheap like that...

Here is the one I passed on. It didn't run.

Not a good picture. Can't find a better...

Here is the one I kept, and how it looks now... The owner told me it ran, but had a carb drainout problem... he was correct, it fired up with a little tweaking...

Here is my line set ticket

Keep in mind that I still have this one also.

It actually belongs to my folks, but they are tired of having to fiddle with it, so they have given it back to me. It cleaned up really well, a lot better than this picture shows.. They put new tires on the front, and had the carb rebuilt... runs great. But, the fuel guage doesn't work, and they keep running it out of gas, and having minor other issues. In one week, I went from having one IH, my SSII, to having 4..

#25 ·
I had big plans for this weekend... but didn't get too far with them.

Gen. Nonsense came over, and we were going to cut my swiss cheese rockers out, and replace them with some 2x5 steel. Then I happened to mention that I had just scored a parts rig, with a fairly solid body on it.

Didn't take me too long for him to convince me to abandon the old tub altogether (I do feel bad, since it's still salvageable, just not great) and swap the tubs.

After that, we simply stripped the interior, ripped out the floor mats (fawking insulation/sponge underneath it was still wet, last time it rained was more than three weeks ago) and ripped my top off.

Then we took a lunch break, opened the beer fridge, and I got plastered. :rolleyes: Of course Jeremy seemed to have worked up a bit of a thirst himself.

Then on Sunday, I picked up this beauty:

Attachments

#26 ·
Went to Phoenix Arizona and picked up 2 Compete running Nissan Diesels that i bought a few months ago, a 1979 N/A SD633 and a 1980 SD633T. Took my dads beat to hell 1972 1210 4x4 there and back with zero problems and even made a few new rigs look at me funny when i passed them loaded comming up the pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.