Pirate 4x4 banner

T-19 wide

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  tsm1mt 
#1 ·
I have done several searches for T-19 info and have not come up with what I am after. I have a T-19 wide off a 392 2wd, what I need to know is will my dana 20 bolt to it. I know I have to change out the rear main shaft to a 6 spline. What I dont get is the T-19 seems to have a different bolt pattern. Any info would be great...

#2 ·
You have a 2wd t-19, to make it into a 4wd t-19 you basicaly need a 4wd t-19 for parts.... I think you even need the parts from a wide at that.

I can't remember if you need to swap the cases or not... I do remember a write up about someone who did... I also think there was a write up on making a t-98 a 4wd version...

TORC/Mechnos??

#3 ·
This is what the rear of a T-19 2WD case (case drilled for standard bearing retainer) looks like:

This is what the rear of a T-19 4WD case (case drilled for t-case adapter/bearing retainer) looks like:

You can re-drill and tap the 2WD case with right bolt pattern to accept the t-case adapter and there are also two holes on the right side of the transmission that go through to the inside of the tranny. These were for some kind of bracket that you wouldn't be using if you're converting to a married setup. You'll need to plug these two holes. Like you mentioned, you will also need to swap the mainshaft from a 10 spline in the 2WD to a 6 spline mainshaft. This entails a complete tear down of the tranny to swap the wide gears onto the 6 spline shaft and to swap out the cluster gear.

It's all detailed here.

#4 ·
Ok so what is the best way to go about this?
A-drill new holes in the adapter plate
B-drill new holes and tap new holes it the tranny
It would seem quicker to just drill holes in the D20 plate right?
Also the rear main shaft in the 6 spline is not to big to for the gear for the D20?
Thanks for the support guys I know we are all busy making are 4x4's bigger and better! :smokin:

#5 ·
Like Mechanos said you need any 4wd T19 case and mainshaft. Swap the cluster and all the mainshaft gears onto the 4wd shaft, and install in 4wd box. He's got a great writeup, I did this on my Traveler and used his very detailed instructions.

Darel

#6 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
Ok so what is the best way to go about this?
A-drill new holes in the adapter plate
B-drill new holes and tap new holes it the tranny
It would seem quicker to just drill holes in the D20 plate right?
Also the rear main shaft in the 6 spline is not to big to for the gear for the D20?
Thanks for the support guys I know we are all busy making are 4x4's bigger and better! :smokin:
You're going to need find a 4WD tranny to donate the 6 spline mainshaft unless you can find someone who already has one out. If have to get the whole 4WD tranny to get the 6 spline mainshaft, you might as well just use that case that is already drilled/tapped to accept the t-case adapter. That is exactly what I did in the write up. The two mainshafts are identical except one has 6 splines and the other has 10.

If you can find just the 6 spline mainshaft you need, it would be easier to redrill/tap the case to accept the t-case adapter. I believe 3 of the holes for the standard bearing retainer line up with 3 of the holes on the t-case adapter. Bolt the adapter to the 2WD case and use it as a guide to drill the other 3 holes needed. You may or may not have to plug the unused two holes from the standard retainer pattern. I would plug them if it were me.... with some loctite.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, I found a six spline main shaft. I am going to drill my new holes for the D20 adapter plate. Don't know why I would need a 4wd T-19 tranny though??? :rolleyes:

#8 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
Thanks guys, I found a six spline main shaft. I am going to drill my new holes for the D20 adapter plate. Don't know why I would need a 4wd T-19 tranny though??? :rolleyes:
Sometimes I don't know why I even bother. You came here with a question on your very first post, got exactly the info and advice you were looking for and then you come back with some dickhead, know-it-all remarks. You're on your own.....

#9 ·
Just having a long hard day. Sorry your write up was the best help I could have asked for. Finaly I feel like I have a direction to go foward with. I'm just tired of gettin the run-a-round from people off-line that think they know it all. This T-19 will be my 3rd tear down sorry...

#16 ·
Tony Sobrito said:
I spoke with them a few years back. They had one that will work but it was not listed in their part number data base for IH at that time. Its a t19 rear shaft and adapter listed for a 2wd t19 or t18 application to convert to jeep 300, maybe a ford 2wd tranny..?
I think AA carries the same thing.

I'd often wondered if the Ford tail conversion they offered would work for the IH T19.. cool. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.