Pirate 4x4 banner

Weekend Report, April 24~25

2K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  cjanko 
#1 ·
Nothing much except I added to my junk pile. I went to an estate auction that had three Scouts for sale. I bought two of them, both non-runners at this point.

One was a '79, v8, auto SII with a great tub. The other was a 76 Terra with a "nice" wooden flat bed someone installed to replace the rusted away rear...its pretty much parts only. Anyone need some axles? :D

The other one I didn't buy was a 1973, with a disc braked d30 front, 304 and t18/d20. Odd scout II, kinda wish I had bought it now.

Plans for the '79, are function over form. I'm going to turn it into the beater Scout after some fender trimming.

I gave a grand total of $100.00, for both of them. :grinpimp:

Wired the new carport and began acting on plans to build my shop....24x30...

Back to lurking.....

#2 ·
I got to play a little in the garage on Saturday. Began installing new rotors and 3/4 ton knuckles for high steer. Had a bitch of a time getting the old ball joints off, but with a little persuasion they finally freed up.
Now that I have the front end mostly together, I will have to change a few things. The new arms are great, but I dont think I will get the Tie Rod to pass through my springs...
I noticed that Snoopy had gotten some of his arms bent up a few degrees. THis may be the route I take with these.

Anyone else run into this problem with high steer?

#3 ·
WireGeek said:
I got to play a little in the garage on Saturday. Began installing new rotors and 3/4 ton knuckles for high steer. Had a bitch of a time getting the old ball joints off, but with a little persuasion they finally freed up.
Now that I have the front end mostly together, I will have to change a few things. The new arms are great, but I dont think I will get the Tie Rod to pass through my springs...
I noticed that Snoopy had gotten some of his arms bent up a few degrees. THis may be the route I take with these.

Anyone else run into this problem with high steer?
The need for spacers under the high steer arms is fairly common. Several of the vendors offer .5" and 1" spacers. Depending on the design of your arms, longer studs may be necessary. Parts Mike has the longer studs....

#5 ·
went to the Sand Dunes again, no didn't take the Scout.. I still haven't fixed the broke shock tower from the last wheelin trip.. Sorry I never posted up any pics, camera went dead, my buddy did get a bunch of pics on his 35 though, just haven't got them done yet.. I do have a trip planned on the 8th though, should be some excellent wheelin, I hope the weather is good..

I did get my gears in from PORC, waiting to do them after this wheelin trip though..

Speaking of projects, how many of you have completed your lists from the post a while ago? I'm almost done with mine :flipoff2:

#6 · (Edited)
Jacked around with my non-cooperative passenger door a little. The opening in the tub was not square so we used a hi-lift to spread to the A & B pillars a little at the top. Then we modified the striker on the B pillar that was causing the latch to bind up. Also tracked down a little slop in the hinges to badly worn and broken hinge pins. Out of 8 hinges from two sets of doors, 6 of them had broken hinge pins..... this is a poor design.

I found some Dorman hinge pin kits at the parts store that have a pin just a few thousands bigger than the stockers. The Dorman pins are 0.342... I used an 11/32" (0.34375) bit to slightly enlarge the hinge-pin holes in the arm that bolts to the door. When assembled, this resulted in a nice tight, no-slop fit. I haven't had a chance to re-hang the door yet....

#7 ·
Mechanos said:
The need for spacers under the high steer arms is fairly common. Several of the vendors offer .5" and 1" spacers. Depending on the design of your arms, longer studs may be necessary. Parts Mike has the longer studs....
I already have spacers under the arms.
I didnt have a camera home this weekend, but will try to snag a pic or two tonight...

#8 ·
WireGeek said:
I already have spacers under the arms.
I didnt have a camera home this weekend, but will try to snag a pic or two tonight...
What size spacer are you using. Due to the way I mounted my springs, I needed spacers too. I tried .5" spacers at first, but they just weren't quite enough so I went to the 1" spacers under my PM super arms. The jump to the 1" spacers required the new, longer studs.

#9 ·
Vehicle Juggling

I pulled the SSII out of the garage, put the white pickup in so I can fix the tranny fluid leak (calling it a leak is like calling Niagra falls a creek) My SSII is my DD again, especially with the weather up here this week... Topless, doorless..... Ahhh....

Took 1st at Taekwondo tournament Saturday.

Then I sat in the sun on Sunday and went to church.

#10 ·
Minimal wrenching.

Hit the boneyard Saturday afternoon and came home with some better door hinges for my Travelette's driver's front door. The only door out of the 4 that needed new hinges..

Picked up THREE (couldn't find #4) Chevy "not-full-circle" 6-bolt caliper stands while I was there, too. They were loose (didn't even turn a wrench) and $5 each.

My trail rig is still waiting for me to replace the U-bolt plate. Considering some of BCB's recessed U-bolt plates just because. Well, a lot because the SOA never seems to happen - too busy wheelin' it to modify it. :)

Between a garage sale, the junkyard trip, and landscaping all day Sunday I still managed to get the ceiling fan mounted in the shop. :flipoff2:

Finally, one circuit in the ceiling DONE and my first hardwired light in the shop. Got the garage door juiced up, too.. without an extension cord.

Haven't decided if I want to buy the 16,000 BTU (or is it "tonnage" in A/C speak?) 220V air conditioner a friend has for sale for $125 to put in the shop..

#11 ·
well i got the 383 stroker motor in my scout on last week...wired it during the weekend...got my hydro steering hooked back up, bled my clutch slave cylinder did some other BS...still have lots of little stuff to get back running. Oh and need to set the timing on the motor...idles too high.

#12 ·
I started out helping a freind work on his land cruiser.

it got a lot worse before it got better. his cousin's GF dumped him and we spent most of sunday talking him out of his suicidal state.

BTW, anyone have any idea how to field strip a .22 jennings? I would have much rather rendered it in operable once we got it away from him

NQS

#14 ·
harkinoff said:
Speaking of projects, how many of you have completed your lists from the post a while ago? I'm almost done with mine :flipoff2:
Finished my list over the weekend. Gona have to wheel it this coming weekend. :)
Hey Ben, how much snow is in the hills over your way? Think it will melt off by Memorial day?

#16 ·
got the doors off my 800. i had to cut the hinges. took out all wiring....it looked like someone thought they would rewire it ....real ghetto. took out all instruments, and lights. took out the seats, top and windsheild are off as well. also took the seats out. next weekend i will be unbolting the body and lifting it off. then ill give that to a buddy to get the body work done. then im gunna gut everything off the frame. everything is going to be replaced.

i really need to get home for more than a weekend one of these days....6 weeks and school is out;)

#18 ·
I fixed a D27 axleshaft. The key brokeand messed up the keyway. I used a plain steel key cut to fit and welded in. I have another shaft and flange, but I can't get the damm flange off. So far it seems to be holding up fine.
I also put seatbelts in and took my doors off. It's a little chilly yet, but fun. I'm looking forward to a roll bar/cage so I can take the top off.

#20 ·
been slowy working on re-doing my steering links with the D60 under there now. btw, i now have a 7/8 " 18 tap iffn anyone needs one for one ton TRE's. Turns out they are a little hard to come by! Anyhow, i have to get all that up and running, and swap my PS pump cause its pukes all over the place.. other than that, its Track meets and getting ready for finals!!

#22 ·
Mechanos said:
Jacked around with my non-cooperative passenger door a little. The opening in the tub was not square so we used a hi-lift to spread to the A & B pillars a little at the top. Then we modified the striker on the B pillar that was causing the latch to bind up. Also tracked down a little slop in the hinges to badly worn and broken hinge pins. Out of 8 hinges from two sets of doors, 6 of them had broken hinge pins..... this is a poor design.

I found some Dorman hinge pin kits at the parts store that have a pin just a few thousands bigger than the stockers. The Dorman pins are 0.342... I used an 11/32" (0.34375) bit to slightly enlarge the hinge-pin holes in the arm that bolts to the door. When assembled, this resulted in a nice tight, no-slop fit. I haven't had a chance to re-hang the door yet....
Re-hung the door last night.... door hangs nice and level (no sag) with the new hinge pins. A little rework on the striker plate and the latch no longer binds up. I can open the door about 12" and just let go of it and it will close and latch it's self. :cool2:

#23 ·
Mechanos said:
Re-hung the door last night.... door hangs nice and level (no sag) with the new hinge pins. A little rework on the striker plate and the latch no longer binds up. I can open the door about 12" and just let go of it and it will close and latch it's self. :cool2:

As heavy as those bitches are they had better self close... :D That is why mine came off forever.

As for me I worked on the daily driver 85 Honda Civic. Replaced the rear drums and shoes...not with out incident though....I ended up having to cut one drum in half with the saw-z-all..... :evil:

I also wend apartment shopping for me and my new dog. Going to try out this single life thing.

Worried that I won't be able to store/unload all of my crap before we are supposed to be out of the house. It closes on May 14th possibly :eek:

#24 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
As heavy as those bitches are they had better self close... :D That is why mine came off forever.
:laughing: I should have mentioned, the door is completely stripped down except for the regulator and latch mechanism so they're pretty light. Anyway, with two broken hinge pins the door was sagging about 1.5" at the rear edge.... no way that was gonna latch by itself or even with a mega-slam. It required lifting to get the latch to engage the striker. Then the striker was binding on the latch so you'd have to lift it and then slam it. Then it'd take a pry bar to get the bitch back open.

Oh, and my $$$ says you'll be happier in the long run with the dog. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.