Pirate 4x4 banner

Rancho shock travel???

980 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RustoleumWhite 
#1 ·
The shocks I bought measure 36" max to 21" collapsed. I was thinking about mounting them with more down travel. Something like 10" down and 5" up what would you guys do. I have 10" between tire/fender on level ground.

#2 ·
Best way it to flex your truck out and then set the shocks about 1" or more above the "maximum stuff" you get. Also helps if you drive (or wheel) the truck a bit to "warm up the springs", makes a difference.

Off the top of my head though sounds about right.. You will typicaly get more drop than stuff.

What rancho shocks?? 15" of travel is pretty good, I though about the longest they had was in the 14" range.

#4 ·
So what is your set up? It's going to tough using all that travel. I had to outboard my shocks and make bigger wheel wells for 13" of travel.

Attachments

#5 ·
99036 that looks prety close to what mine look like. The rears will be kicked foward to where they mount right behind the gas tanks. They will still be on the outside of the frame. I hope this makes the OL 800 more stable on the side hills.

#6 ·
im just about to order some shocks too. dont have driveshafts yet however so is there a way for me to lets say.....use my hi lift to see how much travel i have on one side by jackin it up or is that just stupid and not gonna work :D ? i might just have to wait untlll i get driveshafts but i dont want to. :flipoff2: i imagine all i need is an estimate but what do i know...

#7 ·
IHScoutman14 said:
im just about to order some shocks too. dont have driveshafts yet however so is there a way for me to lets say.....use my hi lift to see how much travel i have on one side by jackin it up or is that just stupid and not gonna work :D ?
High lift wouldn't work, not stable enought and not enought travel. You could do it sort of with a cherry/engine picker. Or a fork-lift works the best. Or just slap what-ever shaft you have handy and can make work in to get it to move. Or, it you wanted take a too short stock shaft, cut and weld in a bit of tubeing "just to get it to move", or make a square shaft :*******:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.