64 Scout 2.0 build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 184378
Life of to many project rigs... Keep up the work I'm going to steal ideas off you now��
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Well is it ready to wheel yet?

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 135020
ha I wish been doing some side jobs to help fund some parts for the build. Plus I had to fix my wifes samurai wheeler so I still have something to wheel.
I have plated the frame and got the crossmembers installed just need finish welded.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also got the receiver built and crossmember braces built and I started building the mini boat side supports. they aren't done yet but I tacked them in place just to get a feel for it. i'll knock them back off and work on the fitment a little more.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I got a battery mount installed and braced up
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I just sit back and stare at it alot
[IMG][/IMG]

Plans for this week is to get the rear quarter panels placed in position so I can mark the mounting holes and drill and tap them as well as make lower mounts for the quarter panels. will have to shorten the quarter some to get the fitment I'm looking for. After I get the quarters all delt with i'll probably start on the top because I hate sheet metal work and if I wait to long I'll hack it out and hate it. So before I drop some money on the rear 4 link and trailing arm stuff and the adapters for the motor to trans and trans to case. I'm gonna get the tedious stuff out of the way.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 135020
ok only got a chance to work on it friday night for a few hours but I did fit the rear quarters and peice that holds the tail lights. I got the holes all drilled and tapped.
[IMG][/IMG]

I did figure out that the holes I had made for the LED reverse lights will not work because of tube placement so I will need to move them and then repair what I screwed up on.

Last edited by MUDmaniac3; 03-04-2017 at 06:20 PM.
MUDmaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 135020
well was tinkering on the scout tonight plating a few places over where I had welded the firewall up after narrowing it up and discovered I need to figure out how to support the firewall some because it flops around alot. The floors are pretty rough and there is very little factory body left. I'll end up using 1 1/2'' tube for the floors where the seats will mount and thinking about incorperating that into the firewall support as well. I have a slight idea but getting to the point of where I should have started with tube buggy in mind
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 135020
making some slow progress. started to chop up the top to fit the scout.
[IMG][/IMG]

took 7'' out of the middle of the top
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Ended up cutting the top into 6 peices that could be easily worked with. Got the front section of the top bolted to the windsheild frame.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also picked up a new seat for the scout from a buddy. went to mock it up and ran into a few problems.
[IMG][/IMG]

First problem is that the passenger side seat will end up sitting basically on top of the transmission transfercase

Second problem is that the driver seat location is not far enough to allow proper pedal position. The seat is to close to the pedals. decided to cut out the firewall and tube out where the pedals will end up.

Been super busy with work the last few weeks but I did get out and go up to the offroad swap meet in puyallup. Ended up picking up some 5 point harnesses with gel pads and some LUX rock lights. Also picked up a in bed truck camper for my weekend wheeling trips. Hopefully make some more progress on the top this weekend
Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 135020
tinkered on the scout the last few weeks. Been slow progress but have been working on it when I had time. I did end up buying a truck bed camper that I have been workin on and more side jobs but I did order up m atlas, adapter, shifters, and picked up a transmission. I did get the top all modified and to work but I will be cutting the center of the top out and replace it with new sheet metal.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I also played around with the rear end some. Added some paint and disc brake brackets and rotors on just to kinda clean the garage
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I shoved the rear end back under the scout. memorial day needs to get here soon so that I can order more parts
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 750793
impressive work
jpeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 135020
well been working on the scout and trying to get stuff ready set the motor, transmission, and transfercase in when the parts show up. I ended up getting frustrated looking at how everything was gonna fit in the scout so I cut the floor and firewall out.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also pulled the fuel cell apart to install my rollover valve and new return line fitting. There was lots of foam in the cell and it wasnt deteriorating like my old cell did
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also got the fuel cell mount hoes drilled out in the cell
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I also reworked the LED reverse light mounts and mounted the rear receiver mount
[IMG][/IMG]

Started working on the motor and deleted the EGR system
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by MUDmaniac3; 04-22-2017 at 10:54 PM.
MUDmaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I also pulled the exhaust manifolds off and removed the heat sheilds along with the motor mounts so that I can buid new plates out of steel for the new motor mounts and I cleaned up some of the wiring for now.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also removed the stock tacoma transmission mount so that I could modify it and beef it up some.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'll get a picture of the modified mount tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get my bellhousing, spring mounts, Atlas mounting plate, tube clamps, and Atlas in the next few weeks. plans are to start some more tube work at the firewall, plate the roof, weld up the frame, and weld in some gussets
Old 05-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
Awesome Fab Tools

Member # 84883
Great looking project, hope to see it soon on the trails!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Now available with 2HP ELECTRIC/HYDARULIC and auto rotation stops!

Joe(at)RogueFab.c0m
RockRogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Ok been busy. Ended up going to sandlake for a weekend with some friends and blew the front diff in my wifes samurai. Fixed it and went to Cline butte over memorial day and ran into a few other scout guys and got me working on the scout again. I got the motor mounts built and transmission mounts built and my atlas showed up.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
4 speed atlas 10.34-1 low range
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
only complaint i have thus far with the atlas is the mount does have all the right length bolts. they are to long and you have to install them before you bolt the adapter to the atlas to then install it to the transmission.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I mounted the motor and transmission in the frame rails of the scout before I got the Atlas and then I installed the Atlas, but have not built the mount yet.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Now the reason I haven't started the Atlas mount is because once I installed the Atlas I realized I get to redo all the mounts because everything sits to high in the frame rails and the passenger seat sits right on top of the transfercase real high up. Now I get to lower everything 3'' to help clear the seats.

I also just picked up 200' of tubing so I can do some roll cage work and now that the motor is in and I see how much I have to lower it, I will end up with a 3 link in the front instead of a 4 link. there will just not be enough room for the 4 link like I had originally planned. Guess its a good thing I had waited on ordering the front link kit.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 135020
ok got some more time tonight to work on the scout so I worked on lowering the motor transmission and transfercase to help make room for the passenger seat.
This is before with the seat as low as possible but it would have to be mounted outside of the scout.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is where the seat will end up. Its still going to basically sit on the transfercase but mounted to a peice of 3/16 plate. I can sit in it and see pretty good but anyone taller than me will have to find another ride because they are gonna be to close to cage. I seem to have 4-6" past my head.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Ok so I cut the motor mounts off the frame and modified them then welded them back on in a lower position. 2 1/4'' lower than I had them before. Any lower and I won't be able to keep my flat belly and I'm not willing to lose that and I really don't want to build a subframe for everything to mount to. I also had to redo the transmisson mount completely and built the atlas mount.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I'll probably grab my buddy's tube bender some time in the next few weeks so I can start on the top half of the cage and start getting the floors back in and firewall set back up. I will be pulling the old scout out of the weeds and pulling the winch off the front of it and the steering column out of it and then putting up for sale so that its out of my way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.