64 Scout 2.0 build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 135020
64 Scout 2.0 build

Ok lets start from the top.
So I had a build thread from my last scout under "Partywagon".
After a few years and lots of abuse I decided it was to much work and money to keep in on the trail so I retired it and took all the good parts and built my wife a samurai.
Here is what the first scout looked like.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I knew the end of the scout was near and knew what I woulda changed and upgraded for how I like to wheel. So I found another scout on craigslist for $400 and I went and picked it up.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Ok the new scout was basically all stock besides some huge shackles for lift. It hadn't run in years but supposedly had a rebuilt motor. I brought it to a buddies and there it sat until we closed on our house and it could be brought home.
The plan is strip out all the factory running gear. (Motor, transmission, Transfercase, Axles, and leaf springs were sold to a buddy that is all about restoring these old scouts.
BUILD PLANS
4.0 lexus V8 1UZFE
R150F 5 speed out of a V6 tacoma
4 Speed Atlas
Chevy DANA 60 Front, 5.13, spool, RCV's, Drive flange, Full Hydro, 1410 flange set up
14 Bolt rear end 5.13, spool, 40 spline shafts, disc brakes, 1410 flange set up
4 link front and rear with a rear trailing arm setup and coilovers
Recentered H1's and 43 tsl sx's
Narrowing the body 7'' out of the center, chopping 4 1/4'' out of the middle and doving the front and rear an addidtional 7''
Full roll cage, suspension seats, front and rear winch's
This is gonna be a slow build and I'm not very good at updating daily.

Started by cutting stuff apart before I had the garage all setup.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I then took off the front clip

Old 01-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 135020
This whole thing is pretty rusty. Which made it perfect for build because its gonna get abused.
Next was interior deconstruction and cleaning

Old 01-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Well since I was waiting until I had finished up making in the room in the garage. I decided to start work on the grill and tailgate.
I took 14'' out of the grill and the tailgate. I also took 4'' out of the center of the tailgate.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Ok well as of last spring I finally got the garage organized enough to put the scout inside and started stripping the scout down to the bare bones.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I stacked all the body panels outside for the summer.

Then I started to chop up the body to narrow the center section
Old 01-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 135020
little more cutting on the firewall to channel it and it doesn't look much like a scout. Also welded the driver side back together

Here you can see how much more narrow the driverside is compared to the passenger side.

And before you know it, I had it all welded back up
Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Everything all welded up and a coat of paint

After the firewall was all welded up I started working on doving the front end

Old 01-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 135020
OK well after fenders and grill are mocked up it was time for the hood. I hate doving the hood. such long strait cuts and welds

Old 01-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 135020
well since the front sheet metal was all mocked up it was time to play with the quarter panels, rear end caps and doors.

Had to cut the rear floor pan out some to make room for my JAZ fuel cell and start mocking up crossmembers.

Fuel cell will be mounted with and artec fuel cell mount.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Well since the body was channeled 4 1/4'' I had to modify the gas pedal, clutch and brake pedals.
Using a throttle pedal out of a early 90's half ton chevy pickup

Old 01-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 135020
well finally had gotten tired of tripping over the dana 60 so disassembled it and cleaned up the housing so that the ARTEC truss/ram mount could be installed.

Also welded the center section to the axle tubes as well as welding the truss and ram mount on.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Well got the Dana 60 all prepped out so it was time to do the same with the 14 bolt. Shaved the bottom and smoothed it out just to the factory diff cover. So ended up removing 3/4'' of material. Then we welded he center section to the axle tubes, welded the upper truss and backbone truss on and welded to the diff cover.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Nice build.

My only (frivolous) comment is that it would have been cool if the rear was wider so the tailgate could say "Internal".
Old 01-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Thank you. The more I get into this thing the more I realize I should have just built a tube chassis and only used the skins but something about utilizing the stock frame and parts of the factory firewall appeals to me. But more pictures and updates.
After the axles were all prepped out. I decided to mock up some front fender supports so that I could remover the front skins and make it easier to work on

I then had to widen the opening in the firewall so that I could make proper engine clearance. The lexus v8 is as wide as it is long.

Last edited by MUDmaniac3; 01-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.
MUDmaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Everywhere that anything attaches to the frame will be plated with 3/16'' plate. I had issues on my last scout with the frame twisting to much cause the body to start to split and the doors to fly open. I started on the rear with the rear crossmember installed aswell as another crossmember installed to act as a support for the rear winch. Also installed the fuel cell mount and started on some tube work in the rear. I'm working on the things that I hate doing first so that I take my time and it turns out how I would like. That was my problem with my old scout, it was my first time building a scout and I rushed alot of things and they didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped.

I'm gonna go a little overkill on the cage. I plan on keeping this one around awhile and the wife and I have been talking about having kids so I am gonna be adding more supports and gussets than I had on my old scout. The old scout cage survived a couple rolls but the cage had a slight twist but it did not have the supports that this cage will have.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 135020
I have picked up a few Lexus LS400 with the 1uzfe v8. I picked up the first one complete car with a supposed bad transmission and trashed interior for $400 with almost 400k on the odometer. Car runs great, no rattles, ticks, or odd noises. I also picked up another LS400 that had been wrecked super hard but had a rebuilt motor with all the paper work and less than 10k on the rebuild. I pulled the motor out of the wrecked car and scrapped it (made all my money back by selling some parts off of it). The plan is to use the low mileage motor for mock up and install the high mileage motor and run it until it blows up then swap in the low mileage motor.

Had to do the burnout test on the new motor
https://youtu.be/WP9G6dQaTZM
Old 01-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 189068
Nice burnout dig the build also I looked for your other build thread couldn't find it looks like toyota axles under it. New build looks good keep the updates and pics going
zachwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 135020
The last scout was 3rz tacoma motor, 5 speed, dual toyota transfercases with 4.7 in the rear case. Toyota axles, 4.10's with spools and chromo shafts. Full hydro and 63'' rear springs out back and ifs toyota rear springs up front. 39.5 iroks.
Was a super fun rig but it seemed to break every other time I took it out. I'm hoping this one will hold up better.

Last edited by MUDmaniac3; 01-14-2017 at 06:17 PM.
MUDmaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I see your going with common axles. But why the Lexus v8? You like the challenge? Really piss if the scout guys?

And I do remember your old scout shitting out a ring and pinion on can opener years ago. Shouldn't have that problem now.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Yeah that was me and that thing spit out a rear ring and pinion on can opener a few times.
I chose the lexus v8 because I like to be different. everyone runs an ls motor anymore. Plus the lexus v8 is an all aluminum v8 compared to a cast iron motor. I also am really a fan of running the 5 speed instead of an automatic. I'm trying to save some weight where I can. Plus I'm an RPM guy and these motors are built to handle the high rpms. Plus I pissed all the scout guys off on my last scout build. I remember getting crap for all the toyota stuff before and painting it pink. I like being that guy that changes stuff up. Its even better when it works
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Ok got a little more work done. Been busy with the snow and fixing broken pipes in my pump house and frozen pressure tank. Plus I keep my 64 volvo in the garage in with the snow I could get it out but I couldn't get it back in the garage so I just left it in the garage and didn't work on the scout. But snow is gone and I just got back to tinkering on the ol gal.
Built some frame plates for the rear and started on the plates for the frame in the center where the mini boat side mounts to the frame.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok I had a few guys ask what the width of the body will be. Measured from outside of rocker to rocker is 58''
[IMG][/IMG]

I also got ahead of myself and bought an 89 toyota 4runner that someone had swapped a small block 350 into with an automatic. I have no idea why I bought it but its already for sale haha. My wife wasn't super happy but she we get over it. I had to deal with her mom staying at the house for a few days so I'd say that makes us even.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 135020
Well everything has calmed and I've gotten a little time to work on the scout here and there. Got some more frame plating set up and shaved all the old brackets off the frame and started making progress towards the new crossmember up front and some firewall work ideas.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

should be able to get more progress on the scout in the weeks to come. Blew the transfercase in my 06 dodge so I had to rebuild it. A week later I had a rearend go bad in the 84 4runner so I also had to rebuild that. Now I'm having transmission issues is the 4runner as well. I'm just gonna swap transmissions and devote more time to the scout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.