Pirate 4x4 banner

value of a 74?

916 views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  mason44 
#1 · (Edited)
hey yall, im lookin for something new to take on the trails/dd other than my land rover. i found a 74 scout II v8 4spd with minimal rust around the wheel wells ( ill probably cut em up anyway) and im wondering what yall think its worth? hes asking 1650 and i think i could get it for 1000, what do you think its worth?.just cus i dont know, what v8 would it have and what are the usual problems with it?

#7 ·
Pinion Shim

67ak109 said:
thanks, ill check out the site.

also, does anybody know what all i would need for a spring over on this? (shim for pinion, etc...)

thanks.
Actually, as with most SOA conversions, it all depends. In some applications, mine for example, steel shims are a correct part of the procedure..

#9 ·
Hooper said:
Actually, as with most SOA conversions, it all depends. In some applications, mine for example, steel shims are a correct part of the procedure..
if you have to reweld the spring perches on the other side, why not just weld em on so that it rotates the dif to the point that no shim is necessary?

#10 ·
67ak109 said:
if you have to reweld the spring perches on the other side, why not just weld em on so that it rotates the dif to the point that no shim is necessary?
If you research SOA more (here and there) you will find why, in his application (and mine as well), a steel shim was part of the procedure. Heck, he even did a little write up on his at one time.

Don't expect to be spoon feed SOA info here, or on the BB. EVERY facet of the multiple ways of doing one has been cover many time.

People are usually more than willing to answer specific questions for people that have (obviously) searched and researched and are looking for clarification and have well thought out questions. But dumb questions will bring out dumb answers.

The BB and the PBB are great resources, but remember too: they are different places and need to be treated appropriately in each.

Oh, and $1000 for a running, decent SII w/disc front... good deal for your first IH.

#11 ·
67ak109 said:

As Rusty said, search. You still have a lot to learn about SOA (as did we all when we started out in this sport, and as do I still) and the research to find the answer to your question will give you understanding you absolutely must have to be able to do a SOA safely...

That is why, so often on this board, we say *search*. When you screw around with SOA, etc, things can go very wrong, and you can kill people. Searching is how you educate yourself so you can learn the dangers and do things right. If you are spoon fed the *how to*, you may miss a step because you do not understand the concept, or someone may fail to point out something obvious that you should know, but you don't and we don't know you don't.

Incidentally, you said there was a lot of good info on the BB about this, and you are correct. Some of that content comes from folks on this site. However, I don't think you have gone through it carefully because I know for a fact that shims with a SOA are discussed in detail on that site.... Perhaps a more careful reading is in order...

#14 ·
Davethorik said:
iirc '74 was the first year for discs in SII's
Nothing was ever etched in stone with IH NOOB. There are 1977 scouts floating around here with D30 fronts! They were built for the county mosquito abatement.

#15 ·
If it's D30 up front I would pass. You can find a 44 front SII for that price I know of three right now :D up in Nor Cal. Or you could save and hunt some more and get a cool 800 cuz they look soooo much better :flipoff2:

#16 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
If it's D30 up front I would pass. You can find a 44 front SII for that price I know of three right now :D up in Nor Cal. Or you could save and hunt some more and get a cool 800 cuz they look soooo much better :flipoff2:
Hey DAN I think the question has a lot more to do with the price and value of Scouts in Alaska than it does in Nor Cal, but its just dandy that you know of some in Nor Cal where ever the fawk that is :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.