Pirate 4x4 banner

tranny swap

1K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  RustoleumWhite 
#1 ·
I'm swaping a T-19 close ratio in place of a 727 auto on my 77 traveler, Before I removed the auto tranny the engine would turn over, but now that its out, even with a fresh battery, the starter won't even turn over. Is there some sort of neutral lock out preventing current to reach my starter, or is it something else. If thats the case how can I override this system to make it start when the t-19 is in place? maybe its time to replace the battery cables and bust out the test light.

#4 ·
thanks guys, what exactly does this neutral lock relay look like and what color are the wires (prolly green or black, just like the thousand other green and blacks) anyway, i'll try and see what i can get it to do tomorrow

#9 ·
wow it took like a week before i got flamed and it wasn't even that bad hmmm. oh well some of us poor 19yr olds with no shop have to start somewhere. maybe when i get that engineering degree i'm working on done i can flame all the newbs. till then :flipoff2:

#10 ·
oh well some of us poor 19yr olds with no shop have to start somewhere
pshhh 19, thats nothin, get in on my situation :flipoff2:
2 are for backup lights
ok this is the last thing i have left from my rewiring, i CANNOT find it! where in the buddha-christ is it? :D oh well not like i actually need reverse lights...

#11 ·
i think im working on a 76 scout 2, if anyone knows how the revese lights turn on that'd be swell. i looked on the tranny for a wire, there was one on the lower passenger side but i tested it and it didn't change with the shifter. i would think that there should be a wire that grounds when the tranny is in reverse that comes out of the tranny, but you guys talk about 2 white wires. im rewiring the reverse lights so any help would be much appreciated.
thanx B

#12 ·
this is really weak tech.

definitley not hardcore rockcrawling material.

take it to the BB and youll get better, and a lot more answers than you will here.

tcool2droolbj if you think you got flammed, you are in for a sad, sad awakening

#13 ·
sarcasm (sar kaz'm) n. a taunting sneering cutting, or caustic remark; gibe or jeer, generally ironic.

put some emphasis on the irony part and you might start to get the idea behind my last post, and no maybe there is no rockcrawling superhardcore elite stuff here but how much wiring stuff is? maybe I should add the part about the 35 boggers spool and detroit and 4.56 gears that i've put into my scout not to mention the custom bumpers and fenderwells, and roll cage i've spent the last few months on, but that shit was childs play. now electricity on the other hand, there is a challenge. how many of you guys have a complete understanding of wiring and vehicle electrical systems? me neither. so since i was wiring an international, and this is the international section of the boards, i thought i'd post here, but oh what the hell everyone is a critic right? :flipoff2: i'll get some pics up of the build so you guys can drool at my scout when shes done suckas.

#14 ·
toocoolforschoolTJ said:
sarcasm (sar kaz'm) n. a taunting sneering cutting, or caustic remark; gibe or jeer, generally ironic.

put some emphasis on the irony part and you might start to get the idea behind my last post, and no maybe there is no rockcrawling superhardcore elite stuff here but how much wiring stuff is? maybe I should add the part about the 35 boggers spool and detroit and 4.56 gears that i've put into my scout not to mention the custom bumpers and fenderwells, and roll cage i've spent the last few months on, but that shit was childs play. now electricity on the other hand, there is a challenge. how many of you guys have a complete understanding of wiring and vehicle electrical systems? me neither. so since i was wiring an international, and this is the international section of the boards, i thought i'd post here, but oh what the hell everyone is a critic right? :flipoff2: i'll get some pics up of the build so you guys can drool at my scout when shes done suckas.
We're still waiting for the hardcore part :yawn: 35's were SO last year. Sounds like an average DD to me. :shaking:

#18 ·
This is the reason nobody comes to this forum anymore, people keep sending them to the BB, JI, or BB where there is no drama. Looks like we're down to the dirty dozen regulars.

NOW, BACK TO THE TOPIC, I just looked at a tranny in my shed and saw two wire connectors, one is a two wire by the shift linkage, and the other is a one wire on the other side near the dipstick tube goes in, on something that I think is a shift modulator.

#19 ·
Urban Wheeler said:
This is the reason nobody comes to this forum anymore, people keep sending them to the BB, JI, or BB where there is no drama. Looks like we're down to the dirty dozen regulars.

NOW, BACK TO THE TOPIC, I just looked at a tranny in my shed and saw two wire connectors, one is a two wire by the shift linkage, and the other is a one wire on the other side near the dipstick tube goes in, on something that I think is a shift modulator.
What tranny is that? All the 727's I'v ever seen have a big 3 pin switch near the rear of the tranny pan. There is a round connector that plugs into that. The plug is usually all cracked from the heat of the exauhst pipe that runs near it.

#21 ·
my 727 has the 3 plug thing

im gonna use a toggle on the dash for the reverse lights --until im sure whats going on with it --it will get me thru inspection and PA --so it may stay that way

no hard core tech shit from me either --but thats why i only have 20 posts or whatever--been wheeling and krawling for 5 years but my IH dont even run yet so i have NO useful info for teh jibber jabber that occurs on this board-

#23 · (Edited)
Heres a pic of the neutral switch/back-up light unit on a 727. This one is about a '74 vintage.

The connector is a little 3-prong unit that as Dan said, is usually loose/falling out/cracked front heat and junk.

You guys need to invest in Service Manual... you know, the ones with the nice wiring diagrams in them that tells you were everything is, goes and connects to :flipoff2:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.