Pirate 4x4 banner

What? No weekend report??

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Fawk Awph 
#1 ·
Here it is Tuesday and no weekend report topic yet??

Come-on guys, what ya do this weekend??? Anybody get ANYTHING done?? Anybody break anything (oh, wait, that would be for the non-web wheelers :grinpimp: )

I mowed my lawn... Sunday :D

#2 ·
Been waiting

RustoleumWhite said:
I mowed my lawn... Sunday :D
I mowed the lawn on Saturday morning before Binderbound got there to work on our little project. Doing the little stuff now, he ran wiring to both our fan and our fan on our tranny/PS cooler. I ran tranny cooler lines. Bolted on the TB with the Bling Bling Aluminum adapter. Worked out a few things with our local FI guru. Ran some more wiring.....I think thats it. Sunday, changed brake pads in the DD, thought about rebuilding the auto hub that is making noise, but didn't. Helped Dad clean up the driveway after he ran over the oil pan he was using. Watched the neighbor weld up his aluminum seat mounts for his mustang.

Just a bunch of CRAP!!

#3 · (Edited)
OK.

Saturday I got some F*rd caliper brackets from the junkyard, along with some A/C parts for the tow-rig.. ho-hum.

Welded a new muffler into my wife's 800 Saturday to fix the trail damage.

Sunday I painted my new-used-junkyard door hinges for the driver's door of the tow rig and wire-wheeled the new crossmembers.. the x-members should get some ZR red tonight, ZR black another night.

I also worked on making my T-35 transmission mount bracket to stuff the 5spd into my '74 Travelette.

Still need to transfer the bolt holes to the plate and then cut to size and weld the 90 "L" for the "soap bar" transmission mount.

In the process of all of that, I broke my bandsaw blade.. forgot where my chopsaw is hiding since it's been years.. and ran out of juice on the 18V Sawzall and didn't bother to bring the corded with me from home.

(Having your stuff split up between two shops sucks.. but I also bought 12 shop lights and some other crap for that, too..)

#5 ·
Weekend Report

I kind of summed up my weekend wrenching in the IH gathering thread... but here is a repost for those who missed it..

No hard core wheeling this weekend, but I did spend some time wrenching.

First task was to stop the tranny fluid leak on the 1310. I swapped in a TF 727 not long ago, to replace the worn out BW that was in there. I put a new o-ring on the dipstick filler tube when I did it, but it still leaked buckets of fluid. It would drain the tranny dry overnight.

So, I pulled the tube and put a new o-ring on it, but it still dumped fluid. I ended up sealing around the base of the tube with Right Stuff. Let it cure overnight, dumped more fluid in and it held. I also pulled the oil filter adaptor on my SSII and planed it smooth so it would quit leaking. No leaks this morning, but the jury is still out.

My last wrenching task was to pull the bolts out of the exhaust manifold on the 1310. The PO told me it *kept blowing exhaust manifold gaskets* and he didn't know why. He said he had replaced the bolts *last year*, so I figured they would not be too hard to get off.

I started by hosing everything down with penetrating oil Friday night, then again Saturday morning, so by the time I got to them on Saturday evening they would be ready to pull. Yeah, right. The outside two bolts took a 9/16" socket just fine. The middle two wouldn't take a 9/16" - too loose, socket just spun with no contact, 1/2" was too small, 13mm too small, 14mm too large, it just spun... I tried tapping a 6 point 1/2" socket on and got one to seat, but then it just spun also. The heads of the bolts were completely round. The angle was wrong to get my vice grips to grab, but after about 20 minutes, I got my *robogrip* pliers, or whatever they are called, with nice sharp teeth on them, to grip and turn the bolts. At first, I was worried that as hard as those bolts were to turn, they were going to shear, but they ended up backing out. Somehow, I don't think these bolts have been replaced recently... Now I need to pick up some manifold gasket sealant, (I already have the gaskets, slip the gasket in, buy some new SS bolts, goober them up with anti sieze, and see if that stops the exhaust leak. Right now, it sounds like open headers driving down the road...

Aside from wrenching, I did a lot of landscaping as well... mowed the lawn, cut the edge of the flower gardens, planted anther lilac bush, played in the pool with the kids (got a nice sunburn too...) I need about 10 yards of bark, but that will have to wait for a week or two..

#6 ·
Diesel Smoke said:
I mowed the lawn on Saturday morning before Binderbound got there to work on our little project.
:D

Friday I finished some last touchs on this piece of junk:

And strapped it to the trailer:

Drove 2 hours south and proceded to flog the crap out of it as best as I could...

...for the whole 3 runs (1 run each, 3 "courses") I could. Hung around a bit more and watched others, then headed back up for a "family function", a shower (dusty as heck) and a nap :D

#7 · (Edited)
I went to the Reiter pit cleanup on Sunday. Picked up a couple bags worth of trash did a little wheeling. Then we came across a junk Mitsubishi pickup over the side of a embankment. First Jobless tried to winch it but it didn't budge. His rig is too light and the 9000 lb winch too small so the scout with the 12000 lb winch got winch duty. Took about 3 hours to winch it out and drag it to the main pit. Overheated the winch several times in the process (this thing was very stuck way down the hill). Somewhere along the line when winching I got lazy and didn't have my foot on the brake. BANG! and I had 3 wheel drive. Right front let go. We couldn't tell what broke so I assumed it was a hub or stub shaft. Got it home and took it apart to find the hub came apart internally. Nothing broke it just came disengaged.
I got lucky but learned a lesson, keep your foot on the brake when hard winching another vehicle.

:EDIT: Also broke a detroit locker. Didn't know at first until I tried to drive it on the trailer and only one front wheel was turning.:EDIT:

#8 ·
RustoleumWhite said:
:D

...for the whole 3 runs (1 run each, 3 "courses") I could. Hung around a bit more and watched others, then headed back up for a "family function", a shower (dusty as heck) and a nap :D

ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Woo-hoo, Mark!!

So who put on the event? Where's the video? .. and the specs on the race truck you finally finished. :D

BTW, that doesn't look like it's been T-boned.. :D

#10 · (Edited)
Winching

Binder said:
I went to the Reiter pit cleanup on Sunday. Picked up a couple bags worth of trash did a little wheeling. Then we came across a junk Mitsubishi pickup over the side of a embankment. First Jobless tried to winch it but it didn't budge. His rig is too light and the 9000 lb winch too small so the scout with the 12000 lb winch got winch duty. Took about 3 hours to winch it out and drag it to the main pit. Overheated the winch several times in the process (this thing was very stuck way down the hill). Somewhere along the line when winching I got lazy and didn't have my foot on the brake. BANG! and I had 3 wheel drive. Right front let go. We couldn't tell what broke so I assumed it was a hub or stub shaft. Got it home and took it apart to find the hub came apart internally. Nothing broke it just came disengaged.
I got lucky but learned a lesson, keep your foot on the brake when hard winching another vehicle.
Dang, were you lashed to another rig or something to keep from pulling you forward? It's gotta be a hard pull to overheat a 12k winch....

edit: I guess not since you thought you broke something...

#12 ·
I pulled the doors and top off the '64, installed seat belts, cut out the old rusty muffler for a better one, cleaned out all the junk. Today I took it for the longest drive to date, 200 some miles. It was a little chilly and windy, but the Scout ran great. Next up is to replace those weak ass d27s. (There's some good booty-fab tech in that rear axle. :flipoff2: )

#13 ·
Found out why the exhaust manifold was blown... The heads had a buildup of deposits that must have been 1/8" thick, except at the bottom, in the middle. At the bottom, you could see where the exhaust gasses had blown off the deposits, leaving a *canyon* about an 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep. I wedged my orbital sander down there and sanded the face of the exhaust ports for about half an hour until I was down to shiny metal. That evened everything out. Applied lots of anti sieze to the bolts, put a new gasket on and put it back together. If it blows again anytime soon, I will yank the exhaust manifold and get it planed, but I didn't feel like screwing with it just yet.. I wanted to move on to replacing the windshield, which is my next non hardcore, yet pressing job on the 1310.. Oh, still had a few leaks out of the tranny, but they were from a different location, and only a very small amount... so I will figure out where those are coming from (probably shift lever seal, or it might be the pan gasket) and try to seal them up, but at least it is not emptying the whole tranny overnight now...

#14 ·
I spent the weekend rebuilding the cowl on the rig. All the rust is gone, so now new rust can start :D

Got that done. On to other things towards making it go now. Next weekend is shock mounts, and wiring, wiring, wiring

After work this week is wiring, wiring, wiring. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
HA HA HA RUsty....You actually have a cage!!!!!

Too bad it is not in the TRAIL RIG!!!
:flipoff2:

Actually I learned a couple things in the way I did this one for how I want the trail rig. Heck the orginal cage I started with was $25, and then I bought $30 worth of tube to rebuild it the way I wanted.... And I think it turned out pretty good. Not done, I need to add some more as well as some seat mounts...

tommy boy said:
ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Woo-hoo, Mark!!

So who put on the event? Where's the video? .. and the specs on the race truck you finally finished.

BTW, that doesn't look like it's been T-boned..
Well, lets see, Tacoma Webfooters put it on via the PNW rules (its was a PNW points event). Consisted of 3-"courses", "Cross Country", Obstacle Course" and "Barrels". The Cross Country and Obstacle might as well have been called the same thing, they were about the same thing. Tight, windy courses throug the "woods" and field. One at a time against the clock. About 1.5 minutes each. Fun though but you only got to run it one time (even then you had to wait in line). Barrels are a lot of turning left :D

No video, a couple stills are all you get and they were tough enough to get. Most of the CC you couldn't view, you saw them go in, and come out. About 1/2 if the OB was also hidden. Heck I don't even own a video.

As for the truck: what finished, its not finished. Other than the cage (the last hang up that made me miss a couple of earlier events) it was built in less than a month with crap I had laying around and finally consolidated.

'73 (or '74??) Frame and 304/727/D20 from that old t-boned truck Scoutillac used to have. '72-ish Body I got from Rob year or so ago. Rear axle I picked up for cheap cause it already had the gears I needed., and old front D44 axle out of my trail truck (4.10's) and set of Rancho lift springs I got front somewhere some time. RS9000's that came with the chassis. 33 x 12.5 TSL radials I got for $80 for the set :)D) with tubes. Tilt front with shelled front clip :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Slapped it together when ever I had time (which wasn't much) and flogged it.

Still needs work, and I got just enough seat time to realize some changes I need to make.
  • Carbs a POS... need to have one built as I don't care to take the time to clean and fiddle with it.
  • Need to decrease turning radius. 33" combined with SII front stuff just doesn't give me enough for the tight courses. New, wider axle will be in the future.
  • Need FASTER steering. Need to re-work the TR and draglink for less turns lock-to-lock. Tight courses, need fast steering. Eventually quick ratio box.
  • More gear: If I stay with the 33's, might be looking at 4.56's.
  • New motor: 304 ain't going to cut it... and I got this 392 kicking around..... or SBC like all the other racers. Plus I can run a 4 bbl.
  • New tranny: full manual reverse body and shifter.
  • Paint: it looks like sh*t ;)

oh, ya, and it weights 3320#... unlike your boat anchor :D

#20 · (Edited)
Wheeling

NotQuiteSane said:
I threw up this web page sunday night

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~nqs/SOS/SOSdamrun.html

NQS
Nice to see someone out wheeling, at least.. <chuckle> :jealous:

I took the white pickup for a test spin last night. First real test since I swapped trannies. Did fine. Still a few drips when I park it, but when I say drips, I mean 4 or 5... leaves a spot the size of a 50 cent pc overnight...

Otherwise, it roasts the tires and gets up and goes. Still need to add the linkage from the carb to the kickdown bracket, so I shift manually right now. That won't be hard. Then, on to replacing the hood and windshield... Not much going on Saturday, so I might tackle both this weekend... Hood just needs to be bolted on, then painted white to match (it is currently green) Windshield, need to knock out the existing, and see if I can convince the replacement to go in, soap and rope deal...

#22 ·
RustoleumWhite said:
:flipoff2:
Heck I don't even own a video.
Well GET ONE. Sheesh. :D

[*]Need to decrease turning radius. 33" combined with SII front stuff just doesn't give me enough for the tight courses. New, wider axle will be in the future.
How about a different wheel offset instead?

[*]Need FASTER steering. Need to re-work the TR and draglink for less turns lock-to-lock. Tight courses, need fast steering. Eventually quick ratio box.
When you go wider, go high-steer and use a short knuckle-arm with the long pitman on the Scout box, and you'll have your quick ratio.

[*]More gear: If I stay with the 33's, might be looking at 4.56's.
I like my 4.88s and 31s. :flipoff2:

[*]New motor: 304 ain't going to cut it... and I got this 392 kicking around..... or SBC like all the other racers. Plus I can run a 4 bbl.
Build the 392. Be different. :D

Mr.C's convinced me my next race engine will be a "larger SV" derivative. The 304 runs great, but I want/need more RPM... and more cubes wouldn't really hurt, either.

oh, ya, and it weights 3320#... unlike your boat anchor :D
Now how'd you manage that! Mine used to be 3860 with driver (3660-ish).. I think the last scale I used was less accurate, or I had more mud in the frame rails, since it came in at 4000/3800.

I could ditch the tailgate and drop some weight.. but check your "balance" - you front/rear bias. My boat anchor is 60/40.. dropping the tailgate won't improve that. :D

My pipe cage is probably part of the weight issue, too.

Along with the wider and trussed axles.

Still seems like a big difference though.

Maybe I'll finally have time to go through it this winter and make some improvements.. not likely, but hey, it could happen. :D

For now, I need to fix the 727 and get 3rd back.. and "fixing" may mean "R&R"

#23 ·
tsm1mt said:
Well GET ONE. Sheesh. :D
buy me one :D

How about a different wheel offset instead?
could work, but I just re-finished the current wheels, plus that would cost $, I can build an axle for almost free. Its a little ways away, the quicker steering will help a bit for starters.

When you go wider, go high-steer and use a short knuckle-arm with the long pitman on the Scout box, and you'll have your quick ratio.
no need for high-steer, not planning on SOA. What I am going to do however is move the draglink mount from the knuckle to the tie-rod. That should gain me some ratio. I need/should replace the stocker's anyway. Some of the guys have way long pitman arms ("hand made") for just this reason. Loose some assist, but gain ratio. OK trade off.

I like my 4.88s and 31s. :flipoff2:
not, too low I think, and way too low for 31's... wonder why you run out of RPM????

4.10's and 33's aren't bad, but I think 4.56's will be a little nicer, little more torque and control. Driver error had more to do with some of my times rather than lack of power. New motor will help too.

Build the 392. Be different.
not different, practical. Huge difference in power between my trail-truck's 392 and the 304... and both are for the most part stock. lightened 392 with a cam and higher stall converter..... much better for the same weight. plus more carb options.

Now how'd you manage that! Mine used to be 3860 with driver (3660-ish).. I think the last scale I used was less accurate, or I had more mud in the frame rails, since it came in at 4000/3800.
<shrug> stripped all the easy stuff. front clip weighs about 110# all together, no tailgate. Boat gas-tank.

Little less cage, but 1/2 of it is pipe so that weight is a wash.

I have the front/rear at home... close, but not the same. I want to say 1200 rear, 2120 front... Your front axle probably weight 50-100 lbs more than mine... but it should be close.

mine's just better :p looks better too.... :flipoff2:

#24 ·
RustoleumWhite said:
buy me one :D
no need for high-steer, not planning on SOA.
It would mean less bumpsteer.. and it's easy to do. ;)

not, too low I think, and way too low for 31's... wonder why you run out of RPM????
Because I'm running 304 heads. :D

Lack of RPM is only a problem in the 100-yard drags. Doesn't hurt one bit on the obstacle course, or in the baja.. it'll still get up to 100mph.

I tried 35s in the drags before.. not enough gear. I didn't top out 3rd/low. A set of 33s would be about right for the drags.

not different, practical.
I meant "different" as in "not a 350" (which would be the practical solution!)

mine's just better :p looks better too.... :flipoff2:
I am humbled in your presence. :flipoff2:

Mine's just a POS.. and doesn't look a whole lot better after 5 years of beating the shit out of it.

One of these days I'll get time to upgrade a bit and make it look pretty(ier)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.