Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 751481
Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2?

I looked for a way to search the threads and don't see it... I'm in love with the Scout look, but would love the ride and handle of a late model vehicle. I know u could "force" anything, but do u know if anything that goes easiest???

Thanks in advance.
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
S-10 Blaser, 2-door has the same 100" wheel base and a HUGE aftermarket support, even for the 4wd version.

There are a couple others, but the blaser is the most common. Or you could take just about any mid-sized SUV frame and cut it down to fit. All depends on how much work you want to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31658
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
CSmith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 751481
Sweet! I know some companies make kits to make the conversions. Who are the respected online Scout merchandisers??
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Anything Scout has built several scouts using a late model wrangler frame and suspension
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
My .02. Most every Scout I have seen on links sits quite a bit higher than I would like. If you look at the rigs done by Anything Scout they look to be riding at about stock height, or a very mild lift. I don't recall ever seeing a Scout on links riding as low as those rigs. By going to a JK frame you have a world of options for suspension kits and i am sure the frame is worlds stiffer than a Scout frame. With the vast aftermarket support for the JK I would think that one could buy brackets to install Scout or any other axles you might like to choose.
I would be shocked if anyone contemplating a swap to a frame from another vehicle would be looking to keep a 304 and 3 speed auto.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 729297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.
Any idea what they run price-wise???
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
I am sure not cheap. Call and find out.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
I'm thinking about putting my 80 on a fs bronco chassis. I want to long travel the TTB. I need to measure it to see how it would work out

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
If you are here to contribute why don't you ask them and post up the prices and options here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.