Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 751481
Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2?

I looked for a way to search the threads and don't see it... I'm in love with the Scout look, but would love the ride and handle of a late model vehicle. I know u could "force" anything, but do u know if anything that goes easiest???

Thanks in advance.
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
S-10 Blaser, 2-door has the same 100" wheel base and a HUGE aftermarket support, even for the 4wd version.

There are a couple others, but the blaser is the most common. Or you could take just about any mid-sized SUV frame and cut it down to fit. All depends on how much work you want to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31658
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 751481
Sweet! I know some companies make kits to make the conversions. Who are the respected online Scout merchandisers??
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Anything Scout has built several scouts using a late model wrangler frame and suspension
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
My .02. Most every Scout I have seen on links sits quite a bit higher than I would like. If you look at the rigs done by Anything Scout they look to be riding at about stock height, or a very mild lift. I don't recall ever seeing a Scout on links riding as low as those rigs. By going to a JK frame you have a world of options for suspension kits and i am sure the frame is worlds stiffer than a Scout frame. With the vast aftermarket support for the JK I would think that one could buy brackets to install Scout or any other axles you might like to choose.
I would be shocked if anyone contemplating a swap to a frame from another vehicle would be looking to keep a 304 and 3 speed auto.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 729297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.
Any idea what they run price-wise???
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
I am sure not cheap. Call and find out.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
I'm thinking about putting my 80 on a fs bronco chassis. I want to long travel the TTB. I need to measure it to see how it would work out

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
If you are here to contribute why don't you ask them and post up the prices and options here?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 189327
Quote:
If you are here to contribute why don't you ask them and post up the prices and options here?
I emailed anything scout to see if they would provide a price range. This is what I got from their parts department.

"Unfortunately, at this point in time we only use the chassis for our inhouse builds. We'll have a couple intense trucks at the Overland Expo West next week if your in the area.

Thanks, "
Potato Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 681969
So I was recently reading an article about a guy building a scout. He chose it because its a nice size split between the smaller jeeps and the full size K5 blazer or similar. However in the article he made note that the stock IH frame is very strong and also very wide - making it an ideal candidate for ton axles. So I am not sure the jeep or s10 frames would be wide enough to work on the body.
MaksWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaksWerks View Post
So I was recently reading an article about a guy building a scout. He chose it because its a nice size split between the smaller jeeps and the full size K5 blazer or similar. However in the article he made note that the stock IH frame is very strong and also very wide - making it an ideal candidate for ton axles. So I am not sure the jeep or s10 frames would be wide enough to work on the body.
Well, there ya go. If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
I emailed anything scout to see if they would provide a price range. This is what I got from their parts department.

"Unfortunately, at this point in time we only use the chassis for our inhouse builds. We'll have a couple intense trucks at the Overland Expo West next week if your in the area.

Thanks, "
Not that hard to get a roller JK frame. Slide under a SII tub and fab some mounts. I am suprised they don't sell them mounts alone in a kit. Their LS mounts are nice but spendy good for deep pocket guys.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 84699
My, how perceptions change. When I was looking for a chassis for a Willys wagon, I thought the Scout II WAS a modern one. (disc brakes, power steering, Dana 44s with useful ratios, a selection of bulletproof engines, choice of manual or automatic)

uglydukwling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 50955
A JK frame is a lot of hassle for a few link mounts. Much easier to mod the existing frame. Not to mention that the factory frame follows the contour of the Scout body perfectly and with a few mods is plenty robust. If you want more stiffness tie in your cage and add a few cross members.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
A JK frame is a lot of hassle for a few link mounts. Much easier to mod the existing frame. Not to mention that the factory frame follows the contour of the Scout body perfectly and with a few mods is plenty robust. If you want more stiffness tie in your cage and add a few cross members.
I wonder how much uptravel it has and the ride height compared to a linked scout frame. I am not knocking any builds but almost every linked scout is a 1 off experiment and i am sure they all have their quirks. It would seem to me that it would be much easier to dial in the suspension if starting with factory engineered specs.

Has anyone crawled under one in person? I would be interested in how much travel they have and what mods were done to the chassis. From looking at the pics I see one fishplate in the middle of the frame. I would think that the rear of the frame would need to be extended for the scoutII long rear overhang. They seem to be very tight lipped with info on their product. It seems to me like their phone responses contradict the link that BO posted up earlier in the thread.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48545
Quote:

Has anyone crawled under one in person? I would be interested in how much travel they have and what mods were done to the chassis. From looking at the pics I see one fishplate in the middle of the frame. I would think that the rear of the frame would need to be extended for the scoutII long rear overhang. They seem to be very tight lipped with info on their product. It seems to me like their phone responses contradict the link that BO posted up earlier in the thread.
The 2dr JK WB is only 95'' and 4dr 116 (had to look it up). I missed the fish plate I bet they cut a 4dr frame down to 100''. IMO that wouldn't be worth the hassle time wise to have to do that or ext then back. Yeah can be done but just a pain. interesting though.

a 4dr JK wb is almost same as a traveler though.

Based on the pictures looks like front of frame hangs down some and rear appears ext.

Rear of JK frame stock

They won't give out detail on swap as I assume their plan was to sell the rolling chassis but had to do shipping wise which adds expense. Be much easier to just sell conversion kit you can box up and ship. They would sell aot of those kits vs whole chassis. Guess thats why they say inhouse only.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Chiscouter, If I was building a lifted JK I wouldn't use the stock suspension geometry. A long arm kit gives a better ride and reduces the jacking issues you get with a short arm at extreme angles. JK's also have a lot of junk (brackets) hanging down below the axle. You can see how short JK rear arms are in the picture above. I wonder if they're that steep on a stock jeep.

Bo185, I can't speak for Anything Scout but I suspect that they're targeting the high buck yuppy "Icon Bronco" crowd. Not DIYers.

I doubt I'll ever go down the link road again, but Tahcustomscout's project is really interesting. I like how he's keeping the brackets off the bottom of the frame. Not sure how much work has gone into his geometry though.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
Chiscouter, If I was building a lifted JK I wouldn't use the stock suspension geometry. A long arm kit gives a better ride and reduces the jacking issues you get with a short arm at extreme angles. JK's also have a lot of junk (brackets) hanging down below the axle. You can see how short JK rear arms are in the picture above. I wonder if they're that steep on a stock jeep.

Bo185, I can't speak for Anything Scout but I suspect that they're targeting the high buck yuppy "Icon Bronco" crowd. Not DIYers.

I doubt I'll ever go down the link road again, but Tahcustomscout's project is really interesting. I like how he's keeping the brackets off the bottom of the frame. Not sure how much work has gone into his geometry though.
I agree that when going away from stock height the JK arms and geometry leave much to be desired. Then again probably hundreds of thousands of smackeroos have probably been invested in designing, one upping and improving long arm suspensions. Everything from diy brackets to full kits are available from a good number of manufacturers. In somewhat of an old school build it yourself attitude I wish one could buy a bare frame or one with factory brackets that would bolt to a Scout tub. If a new frame is available for around 1k I would think that a company could slice and dice the frame to fit a Scout body, and add body mounts and let the buyer go from there. I would think a pro shop could kick that out in way less than a day and sell at a pretty decent profit.

I wish there was a proven link design for a Scout with good road manors and low ride height that uses the stock frame and doesn't intrude inside the body, but if it is out there i am unaware of it. It is important to me to stress that I am not knocking home builders designs. I wouldn't begin to have the knowledge to try and work out the link lengths and geometry on my own and i salute them on their efforts
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 681969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
Well, there ya go. If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
It was in 4Wheel and Off Road magazine I believe.
MaksWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 21750
Why not get the JK's link #'s and duplicate them on to the scout chassis? Can't be that hard. I think the frame kick up is way more than a JK.

`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.