Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Member # 751481
Posts: 2
Is there a late model vehicle frame that works for a Scout 2?

I looked for a way to search the threads and don't see it... I'm in love with the Scout look, but would love the ride and handle of a late model vehicle. I know u could "force" anything, but do u know if anything that goes easiest???


Thanks in advance.
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
RustoleumWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4506
Location: WA
Posts: 4,740
S-10 Blaser, 2-door has the same 100" wheel base and a HUGE aftermarket support, even for the 4wd version.

There are a couple others, but the blaser is the most common. Or you could take just about any mid-sized SUV frame and cut it down to fit. All depends on how much work you want to do.
__________________
I wheel a mean jackstand
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RustoleumWhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
CSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Member # 31658
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 745
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Member # 751481
Posts: 2
Sweet! I know some companies make kits to make the conversions. Who are the respected online Scout merchandisers??
arkieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Anything Scout has built several scouts using a late model wrangler frame and suspension
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,230
Blog Entries: 1
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
__________________
'73 Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
Just upgrade the suspension. Why swap a whole frame just to get coil springs. Just remove the leaf springs and install X type suspensions. Be quicker easier and cheaper in the end if reusing the stock motor and trans etc.
My .02. Most every Scout I have seen on links sits quite a bit higher than I would like. If you look at the rigs done by Anything Scout they look to be riding at about stock height, or a very mild lift. I don't recall ever seeing a Scout on links riding as low as those rigs. By going to a JK frame you have a world of options for suspension kits and i am sure the frame is worlds stiffer than a Scout frame. With the vast aftermarket support for the JK I would think that one could buy brackets to install Scout or any other axles you might like to choose.
I would be shocked if anyone contemplating a swap to a frame from another vehicle would be looking to keep a 304 and 3 speed auto.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
If I had deep enough pockets to build a scout the way I wanted a two door JK rubicon chassis would be part of the plan.
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,230
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I have read that brand new JK frames are available for around 1K I did some searching and salvage yard frames seem to be 500 to 750. With you fab skills where would you see the costs getting ugly?

Since seeing the rigs done by Anything Scout I have really been thinking about the benefits in ride and handling by having a factory designed link suspension.

My thoughts revolve around long arms with an Air Rock suspension
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.
__________________
'73 Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Member # 729297
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
https://anythingscout.com/pages/outrider-chassis

That's is interesting seen it before but never really looked into it. Plus be a drivers drop and open up WAY more transfer case option's for LS swaps.
Any idea what they run price-wise???
__________________
I've had no regrets...yet
Trail-Hound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,230
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
Any idea what they run price-wise???
I am sure not cheap. Call and find out.
__________________
'73 Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God
 
jedrattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 21750
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 1,799
I'm thinking about putting my 80 on a fs bronco chassis. I want to long travel the TTB. I need to measure it to see how it would work out
__________________
Team RattleKann


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Hound View Post
Any idea what they run price-wise???
If you are here to contribute why don't you ask them and post up the prices and options here?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 189327
Location: Washington
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
If you are here to contribute why don't you ask them and post up the prices and options here?
I emailed anything scout to see if they would provide a price range. This is what I got from their parts department.

"Unfortunately, at this point in time we only use the chassis for our inhouse builds. We'll have a couple intense trucks at the Overland Expo West next week if your in the area.

Thanks, "
Potato Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Member # 681969
Posts: 14
So I was recently reading an article about a guy building a scout. He chose it because its a nice size split between the smaller jeeps and the full size K5 blazer or similar. However in the article he made note that the stock IH frame is very strong and also very wide - making it an ideal candidate for ton axles. So I am not sure the jeep or s10 frames would be wide enough to work on the body.
MaksWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Mechanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6704
Location: Roosterville, Missouri
Posts: 7,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaksWerks View Post
So I was recently reading an article about a guy building a scout. He chose it because its a nice size split between the smaller jeeps and the full size K5 blazer or similar. However in the article he made note that the stock IH frame is very strong and also very wide - making it an ideal candidate for ton axles. So I am not sure the jeep or s10 frames would be wide enough to work on the body.
Well, there ya go. If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
__________________
It's
IHeavy
aka TORC
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,230
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
I emailed anything scout to see if they would provide a price range. This is what I got from their parts department.

"Unfortunately, at this point in time we only use the chassis for our inhouse builds. We'll have a couple intense trucks at the Overland Expo West next week if your in the area.

Thanks, "
Not that hard to get a roller JK frame. Slide under a SII tub and fab some mounts. I am suprised they don't sell them mounts alone in a kit. Their LS mounts are nice but spendy good for deep pocket guys.
__________________
'73 Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member # 84699
Posts: 107
My, how perceptions change. When I was looking for a chassis for a Willys wagon, I thought the Scout II WAS a modern one. (disc brakes, power steering, Dana 44s with useful ratios, a selection of bulletproof engines, choice of manual or automatic)



































0
uglydukwling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 50955
Location: Colorado
Posts: 879
A JK frame is a lot of hassle for a few link mounts. Much easier to mod the existing frame. Not to mention that the factory frame follows the contour of the Scout body perfectly and with a few mods is plenty robust. If you want more stiffness tie in your cage and add a few cross members.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
A JK frame is a lot of hassle for a few link mounts. Much easier to mod the existing frame. Not to mention that the factory frame follows the contour of the Scout body perfectly and with a few mods is plenty robust. If you want more stiffness tie in your cage and add a few cross members.
I wonder how much uptravel it has and the ride height compared to a linked scout frame. I am not knocking any builds but almost every linked scout is a 1 off experiment and i am sure they all have their quirks. It would seem to me that it would be much easier to dial in the suspension if starting with factory engineered specs.

Has anyone crawled under one in person? I would be interested in how much travel they have and what mods were done to the chassis. From looking at the pics I see one fishplate in the middle of the frame. I would think that the rear of the frame would need to be extended for the scoutII long rear overhang. They seem to be very tight lipped with info on their product. It seems to me like their phone responses contradict the link that BO posted up earlier in the thread.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,230
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post

Has anyone crawled under one in person? I would be interested in how much travel they have and what mods were done to the chassis. From looking at the pics I see one fishplate in the middle of the frame. I would think that the rear of the frame would need to be extended for the scoutII long rear overhang. They seem to be very tight lipped with info on their product. It seems to me like their phone responses contradict the link that BO posted up earlier in the thread.
The 2dr JK WB is only 95'' and 4dr 116 (had to look it up). I missed the fish plate I bet they cut a 4dr frame down to 100''. IMO that wouldn't be worth the hassle time wise to have to do that or ext then back. Yeah can be done but just a pain. interesting though.

a 4dr JK wb is almost same as a traveler though.

Based on the pictures looks like front of frame hangs down some and rear appears ext.


Rear of JK frame stock


They won't give out detail on swap as I assume their plan was to sell the rolling chassis but had to do shipping wise which adds expense. Be much easier to just sell conversion kit you can box up and ship. They would sell aot of those kits vs whole chassis. Guess thats why they say inhouse only.
__________________
'73 Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 1210 Travelette SV392, T-34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 50955
Location: Colorado
Posts: 879
Chiscouter, If I was building a lifted JK I wouldn't use the stock suspension geometry. A long arm kit gives a better ride and reduces the jacking issues you get with a short arm at extreme angles. JK's also have a lot of junk (brackets) hanging down below the axle. You can see how short JK rear arms are in the picture above. I wonder if they're that steep on a stock jeep.

Bo185, I can't speak for Anything Scout but I suspect that they're targeting the high buck yuppy "Icon Bronco" crowd. Not DIYers.

I doubt I'll ever go down the link road again, but Tahcustomscout's project is really interesting. I like how he's keeping the brackets off the bottom of the frame. Not sure how much work has gone into his geometry though.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Member # 9835
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
Chiscouter, If I was building a lifted JK I wouldn't use the stock suspension geometry. A long arm kit gives a better ride and reduces the jacking issues you get with a short arm at extreme angles. JK's also have a lot of junk (brackets) hanging down below the axle. You can see how short JK rear arms are in the picture above. I wonder if they're that steep on a stock jeep.

Bo185, I can't speak for Anything Scout but I suspect that they're targeting the high buck yuppy "Icon Bronco" crowd. Not DIYers.

I doubt I'll ever go down the link road again, but Tahcustomscout's project is really interesting. I like how he's keeping the brackets off the bottom of the frame. Not sure how much work has gone into his geometry though.
I agree that when going away from stock height the JK arms and geometry leave much to be desired. Then again probably hundreds of thousands of smackeroos have probably been invested in designing, one upping and improving long arm suspensions. Everything from diy brackets to full kits are available from a good number of manufacturers. In somewhat of an old school build it yourself attitude I wish one could buy a bare frame or one with factory brackets that would bolt to a Scout tub. If a new frame is available for around 1k I would think that a company could slice and dice the frame to fit a Scout body, and add body mounts and let the buyer go from there. I would think a pro shop could kick that out in way less than a day and sell at a pretty decent profit.

I wish there was a proven link design for a Scout with good road manors and low ride height that uses the stock frame and doesn't intrude inside the body, but if it is out there i am unaware of it. It is important to me to stress that I am not knocking home builders designs. I wouldn't begin to have the knowledge to try and work out the link lengths and geometry on my own and i salute them on their efforts
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Member # 681969
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
Well, there ya go. If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
It was in 4Wheel and Off Road magazine I believe.
MaksWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God
 
jedrattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 21750
Location: Riverside SoCal
Posts: 1,799
Why not get the JK's link #'s and duplicate them on to the scout chassis? Can't be that hard. I think the frame kick up is way more than a JK.
__________________
Team RattleKann


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



`73 Courier..all Yota underneath
`05 Cummins...tow ho
jedrattle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.