Pirate 4x4 banner

what do i do about inner fenders on my 800?

859 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NVScouter 
#1 ·
i took the front panels off and i am thinking about welding them into one large piece. two front side panels and the grill panel. then i was thinking about just cutting the inner fender/core supports etc all out a the firewall. i will be makeing a radiator support so no worries there. i was just wondering what i should do about an inner fender. or should i just run without an inner felder....like snoopy. should i worry about water and mud and rocks flying up into the motor compartment?

thanks for any input. all opinions are welcome.
Callen

#6 ·
The only places I would be concerned about mud and water would be the distributor and air intake. (Carb, vents, and such.) Oh and the dipstick tube if you are going to be fording any. As for rocks, I don't know. I can't imagine one would come into the engine compartment hard enough to do any damage, other than the distributor cap.

I guess it all depends what you are doing. Inner fenders do alot to keep things clean under there, especially when it comes to changing spark plugs. Ask me how I know... :flipoff2:

#8 ·
Binder said:
Ditch the inners and build something like this to support what's left.
ya, im going to build an inner frame for the entire front clip( the body panels, the grill and the hood ) to attach to. one that flips forward or comes completely off real easily. then i will make a readiator support for that. i plan on taking it through everything that the PNW can throw at it. so it may see some mud and water as well as rocks. but i have a snorkel planned out for that. and im going to silicon the distributer possibly (are there any downfalls to doing that?)

thanks,
Callen

#9 ·
Fawk Awph said:
ya, entire front clip( the body panels, the grill and the hood ) to attach to. one that flips forward or comes completely off real easily.

thanks,
Callen

Why do you want a clip that does that? If your throwing everything the PNW has at it it needs to be Real sturdy. I don't think a folding clip would hold up.
Leave that crap for the hot rodders.

#10 ·
Binder said:
Why do you want a clip that does that? If your throwing everything the PNW has at it it needs to be Real sturdy. I don't think a folding clip would hold up.
Leave that crap for the hot rodders.

i think if i design it corectly it could be real sturdy. origionally i wanted to just ditch all the inner fender and everything but then NQS said something about a folding clip. i just want one that will be removable for ease of getting to the motor and everything in the front.

Callen

#11 ·
I think if made right you'd be fine. But you can also use some rubber mats/flat riveted to the clip to keep shit outa there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.