Pirate 4x4 banner

Best motor for a Scout

40K views 94 replies 50 participants last post by  Sethwin 
#1 ·
What is your guys choice motor??

Only catch is that it has to fit w/o cutting the firewall and must retain stock radiator location.

#7 ·
I just couldn't butcher a scout. I'm all for cross branding on vehicles and all but with IH... you can keep the brand loyalty and still build a bad ass rig. IMO, that just makes the rig that much sweeter.

But yeah, if you're dead set on swapping... definately go with something widespread. Bowtie 350 (383), Ford 302 (343?) or 351. You can't beat the performance options with these motors. You can get anything for them on your doorstep overnight... can't really beat that.

#8 ·
I've been trying to convince myself to yank my 304 and drop in a 6.2 / sm465 / 205 since I can't find a sd33 reasonable around.

we could get Matt in here to tell you the joys of driving a detroit 2 stroke...

course I hear a 152 is a real torque monster

BTW,

Please tell me you're not one of the Shepard brothers trying to be "funny". neither one would need to ask that question

NQS

#9 · (Edited)
rgunn1 said:
I just couldn't butcher a scout. I'm all for cross branding on vehicles and all but with IH... you can keep the brand loyalty and still build a bad ass rig. IMO, that just makes the rig that much sweeter.
i draw the line for brand loyalty at about sven hundered pounds...... :flipoff2: SBC all the way..and that's sweet

#10 ·
Mark me down for a 304/345/392 V8.. doesn't really matter which. I have at least one of each and like 'em all :D

Joe - I might know where there's a Terra with a 6.2L in it already.. Mr.Scout had a hand in the conversion, but the rig is in Idaho these days..

#14 ·
Flat black kicks ass I can fix any scratch on the trail :flipoff2:
As for motors I wish I could have the available parts the chev,ford and amc's have. How's the 392 good following? Dose it fit in a 800? Dose it make that much more power than the 345 to make it worth it. I ask cuz I am a fan of keeping it IH but want more power with the option of bolting on more...

#15 ·
tsm1mt said:
Joe - I might know where there's a Terra with a 6.2L in it already.. Mr.Scout had a hand in the conversion, but the rig is in Idaho these days..
It's not been to NM, has it? non-IH freind sent me an ad for one down there for 16K. I'd perfer to spend a bit less.

Do you know how the one Comer did performs? the numbers look like it should be about the same, and I've got a line on 3 (1 runner, 1 should, and 1 core) + a 2wd sm465 for $500, although shipping will cost me at least as much.

I'm figuring on finding someone who wants to get rid of a complete truck, swap transmissions if needed, then sell off the rest of the truck, and hopefully get a "free" engine

NQS

#17 ·
NotQuiteSane said:
It's not been to NM, has it? non-IH freind sent me an ad for one down there for 16K. I'd perfer to spend a bit less.
Not that I'm aware of. Dan Youngquist did the 6.2 conversion in Eugene then moved to Idaho and the last I heard, it was sitting in the back corner of his place in Idaho, neglected.

Do you know how the one Comer did performs?
If he told me he did that swap, I've forgotten all about it. ;)

As for motors I wish I could have the available parts the chev,ford and amc's have. How's the 392 good following? Dose it fit in a 800? Dose it make that much more power than the 345 to make it worth it. I ask cuz I am a fan of keeping it IH but want more power with the option of bolting on more...
A 392 will fit anywhere a 345 will fit.

A 345 is slightly taller and wider than the 304 or 266 that would've come from the factory in an 800 (assuming it's a factory V8).

Lots of folks have done 345/392 swaps into 800s. Depending on your acc bracket setup, you may need to clearance the inner fender for the alternator (or change brackets), and you may have carb/air filter to hood clearance to deal with, but neither are a big deal.

The simple answer is "yes, bolt it in.. you'll have minor issues, if any"

As for More Power...

I pulled a tired 345 out of my tow rig, and put in a solid running 392. It pulls better, no doubt.. but it was a tired 345.

That said, the tired 345 still hauled around 14k+ lbs at 60-65mph and managed around 10mpg doing it. Engine wouldn't turn any faster w/o the lifters starving for oil and self governing.

The 392 does 9.5-10mpg pulling the same and heavier load at 75mph.

I hope the built 392/406 does the same mileage and a little better on accelerating and/or holding speed up the grades.

I have a built 304 that, in a straight line and not haulin' a trailer, will put my unladen 392 to shame (and as soon as I make the truck 4x4, I'm going to get some time slips to compare..)

392 might beat it in a sled pull, though.. hope to get a chance to compare that, too.

Depends on how much money you have. :D

#19 ·
One thing to consider is the weight of a 392. I would be willing to bet that it would be to much for my 44's to handle. I love IH but I think the ol 345 most go and in with the 351W. On the other hand I have a 283sb if you guys think the 351W is to much.....

#20 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
One thing to consider is the weight of a 392. I would be willing to bet that it would be to much for my 44's to handle. I love IH but I think the ol 345 most go and in with the 351W. On the other hand I have a 283sb if you guys think the 351W is to much.....
My Dana 44s haven't had a problem with the weight of the 392.. even with a trailer hitched up and a Scout on it.

:confused:

#21 ·
:eek: I am impressed does anybody know what the 392 makes for baseline power? Maybe I will throw some add-a-leafs in the front and run the 392. What A Beast :laughing:

#22 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
:eek: I am impressed does anybody know what the 392 makes for baseline power? Maybe I will throw some add-a-leafs in the front and run the 392. What A Beast :laughing:
The 304/345/392 are within 65lbs of each other.. 304 at 700lbs, 392 at 765lbs

Stock 392 is rated at 196HP net at 3600rpm, and 316lbs-ft at 2400

BB Engine FAQ

Follow the link and you'll get torque curve pics, too.

#23 ·
NotQuiteSane said:
Oh, come on now. Orange wheels better.

:flipoff2:

NQS
Preach it brother!! Orange outwheels all. :D Orange increases the coadhesion between your Rig and Mother Earth!! :grinpimp:
Now a PERFECT engine for a Scout Is a Blown 511 BBC, with Orange paint. :flipoff2:

#25 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
I've had a 392 in my scout since pretty much when I got it (owner said it was a 345... I was plesently surprised it wasn't :D)... spun a bearing shortly after that, rebuild it and its been their since.

Started with a D30, high gears and close 4-speed. Now D44's, low(ish) gears and wide 4-speed and much more abuse... D44's have held up just fine with 33" tires... the weight (between them) isn't an issue, and the torque can make up for gears in many cases. Whats between your ears will let your axles and drivetrain live or not.

If its a good running IH motor, little reason to swap it out "just because"... unless your deliberatly trying to lighten your rig up... then a SBC or SBF swap can make cence...

there are more important things to build/work on than swapping out a good running motor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.