Pirate 4x4 banner

Scout in Australia

879 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  eric knutsen 
#1 ·
Hi guys new here

Im looking at buying a scout traveller converted to a Terra here in Australia

Its a 1978 model, i was just wondering what i should i look out for before i buy it

It has a 345 the guy says and its a 3sp auto

Any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
well, what you need to look for all depends on what you want the scout for.

the main thing is to check under all the fenders and in the floorboards/rocker panels for the seriousness of the rust.

since it's a '78 it should have dana 44's front and rear, if its an auto, it's a chrysler 727 3 speed(unless its been swapped).

just make sure you arent buying a POS with a fresh paint job.

#5 ·
binderbound said:
Its an IH motor with an IH transmission. The guts are just Chrysler. :flipoff2:
Right (I guess) on the tranny. You can't just bolt any chrysler trans up to the IH motor.

This will help in identifying some stuff... http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/faq.php?

The axles are good, but I wouldn't put really big tires on them. Otherwise, there are lots of parts available.

#6 ·
vouli01 said:
Yeah its a 3 speed ok so its a chrysler, does that mean the block is also a chrysler block built by international.
Are dana 44's the good diffs i know there are some weak ones around?

Is 3k US a good price for one of these?

im not sure about australia, but the value varies on the abundance of scouts in good condition. if its hard to find one with a decent body, and that one has small amounts of rust, it may be worth 3 grand, but if they are widespread, it might only be worth 1500.

dana 44's are good diffs, they can handle up to a 36" tire. and there is as ass of aftermarket parts for them

#7 ·
Its all about the rust, spend most of your time under the rig looking at the body mounts. also check for how the doors close and rust at the outside base of the windshield frame. Check out the Binder Bulletin, there are a couple of Aussies there that could probably give better aussie insightshttp://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

#8 ·
binderbound said:
Its an IH motor with an IH transmission. The guts are just Chrysler. :flipoff2:

So basically ur saying chryser pistons and rings etc will fit if i was to rebuild a 345?

AS for rust, i have had a look and the only rust is a bit on the bonnet and In the tray not to much to worry about. The guy who is selling it said he cut most of the rust out of it

#11 ·
#12 ·
you can call me on 0409120245 if you would like to talk to some one re; the scout.

i have a '78 model i'm doin a body off reto on right now and a can help with most spears ect.

eric

sunshine coast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.